Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Rock Rey kit just arrived

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #1

Default Rock Rey kit just arrived

My Rock Rey kit showed up today after 2 weeks crossing the Atlantic. Pretty pumped looks like a cool kit/machine. I must have gotten one of the last kits in existence. Makes me wonder if I should sell it. But I likely won’t.

Going to try a cheap motor from China with a sidewinder 4. Heard good things about the Sidewinder.

That’s all for now. Haha
Esuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Rock Rey kit just arrived

Congratulations on the kit, you're right, they're rare as hen's teeth now.

Not to knock the SW4, but it's kind of small for a heavy go-fast vehicle such as the Rock Rey. As far as I know, the SW4 has the same amp rating as the SW3 (60ish?) and I had constant brown outs when running a 36x65mm motor (which is in the ballpark of what size motor you're likely to want to run) in a much lighter vehicle. I'd strongly suggest running a larger esc, something meant for 1/8 scale preferably like a Mamba Monster X (~$140, sensored, 120a, 6s capable, adjustable 8a bec) or if money doesn't allow that, a Hobbywing SC8 (the rtr 'rey's come with a relable version of this, ~$55, non-sensored, 120a, 4s capable, 3a 6v bec) or Max10sct (~$80, 120a, 4s capable, 4a 6/7.4v bec)

What size/kv motor are you going with?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #3

Good to know. The motor will be 3670. The goolrc 2650. Apparently its a decent motor for the price. I was going to save a few bucks with SW4 because it apparently has a smooth slow speed startup, but for the extra $50 I will heed your advice and just get the Mamba X.

The whole reason for getting the SW4 was because i was going to run unsensored as I was cheaping out on the motor. I find motors are overpriced for the brand names but I am all for having a good ESC.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #4

Congrats!

The Rock Rey kit was discontinued because it wasn't popular. Keeping it in the box and keeping it for an investment probably isn't going to net you much profit. The demand isn't there.

John Holmes says the Sidewinder 4 is actually a better sensorless ESC by a little bit. You will probably need an external BEC with that so factor it into the price. If you are looking for speed alone than there's no need for the Mamba X IMO. If you are going to go slow or crawl then you may want to consider it.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #5

Well I want this to do a little bit of both.

I have and LCG Slash that I use for speed but in the trees around my place it gets hung up on everything. So this one will be slower, but I want low end torque with smooth startup for a bit of crawling over logs and junk in the bush.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #6

Also I heard the kit version was always supposed to be a limited run.

Either way, I am not really interested in making $50 (at most). I am going to build it up.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuspect View Post
Well I want this to do a little bit of both.

I have and LCG Slash that I use for speed but in the trees around my place it gets hung up on everything. So this one will be slower, but I want low end torque with smooth startup for a bit of crawling over logs and junk in the bush.
So either get the Sidewinder 4 with a higher pole count motor (Holmes Revolver (not for those that love peace and quiet) or the Tenshock) or the Castle X and any 4-pole sensored motor.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Congratulations, it’s a fun kit! Keep us updated on your build progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rock Rey kit just arrived - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PRICE REDUCTION Losi 1/10 Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Kit. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-28-2018 01:58 PM
Losi Rock Rey Kit to Baja Rey "Kit" Conversion Parts List daign Losi Rock Rey 1 06-28-2018 06:11 AM
Losi Rock Rey Kit to Baja Rey "KitConversion Parts List daign Losi Rock Rey 0 06-27-2018 07:49 PM
Rock Rey kit Yeti.stealth Losi Rock Rey 32 04-02-2018 06:06 PM
Axial Yeti kit vs Los Rock Rey kit Dawson4 General Crawlers 15 11-12-2017 01:53 PM