Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Maryland

Notices

Thread: Where have our roots gone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #1

Default Where have our roots gone

I wanted to take a few minutes to adress my thoughts of where our great hobby is going.But in my honest opinion I think crawling is starting to move away from what it used to be with the introduction of bergs into the fray. I also think that alot of people are starting to be intimidated by the fact that they cant compete with these rigs, as some of them thought once they returned from motorama, The problem I have heard is that the courses were too hard for shafties and to me that's unacceptable. I know a lot of you will not agree with me on this but I believe bergs are to be in a class of there own, This hobby is all about fun and all of us enjoy it A LOT, And want to keep it that way. And to have USRCCA create a class for bergs would be better for us all.The courses would be set up differently from one another to accommodate each type. I dont want this to sound aggressive towards anyone and I apologize if it does but from the people I have had conversations with they dont attend these competions because of 2 things, they feel outclassed in rigs and skill. It kind of upsets me when new people come into this great hobby we have and are upset and think they cant compete with the more expensive rigs. Now I like a good challenge once in a while but i think this hobby is losing sight of its roots. I want to thank everyone who supports our hobby and keeps it crawlin including the newbies
MdCrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Im not from Maryland but you have a good point.

Although, I was at a competition this weekend of about 10 drivers. Fella with a RTR Axial took first place over 2 bergs (one myself, not a good driver yet) and other accomplished shafty drivers. I am very new to competitions. The truck can make a difference but I am not that good of a driver just yet and I run a berg.

I see where you are going. But I have seen some courses specifically setup for new drivers. Most of them wanted to run the other "big boy" courses to figure things out. Its going to be a mix of drivers and skill levels.

I would say you poll the drivers before the comp setup to see what they want to do.

Just my .02
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

A shafty won this weekends comp. A shafty can perform just as well as an MOA, you just have to tune your rig and drive to the best of your ability. I made two stupid DRIVER mistakes on the first course, and my rig had a PREVENTABLE break on the second. It happens.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

we had 18 ? people out yesterday and the compitition was close even with 2 bergs tossed in.
the courses were hard. even for the bergs.

I just got a berg, and yes i did better this weekend then i have done in the past.
but also, i didnt have dig before on my shafty.

I want to get some more run time on it, but there are advantages and disavantages to both.

yesterday, my shafty (driven by stu) walked right up the climb my berg had to take 3 trys at.
Bottoms Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have a shafty and am building a berg. I agree with cronus a berg is only an advantage when you can drive it well and it is possible for a good driver with a shafty to beat a berg. I also think with the introduction of duel dig the shaftys will gain more of an advantage. As far as the berg moving this hobby away from it roots that statement is BS. I started in this hobby years ago wit a MOA super class rig. As far as comping in MD we do not set our courses to be imposable for shaftys.so to end this rant I am all for the bergs and I do not think they should keep newbs from attending the comps and honing your driver skill.

ps. mdcrawler89 where have you been? we have been geting together quite a bit just to crawl and have not seen you.

Last edited by broncoholic; 03-02-2009 at 02:32 PM.
broncoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I don't think anyone out there should be scared to compete against a berg. Its mostly the driver. I made many mistakes and took 4th in my first comp with a shafty. Still alot of room for improvement before I would need MOA. Bring what you have and your A game and have fun.
The Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

we had a berg at our comp here in wisconsin and a shafty won also some courses are better suited for shaftys and bergs as far as the sport growing i am new to this sport raced quads and ran organised events for 20 years and now doing this great hobby and having a blast everyone has to start somewhere so treat others as you expect to be treated
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Cant let other peoples rigs keep yourself away from having fun. There will always be a better driver and always someone to try to beat.
Back when the USRCCA was just getting started. The clod 2.2 was the only MOA out there and more and more leaned to the shafty, then they got dig.
Everyone thought that the tide turned. It did. Now it is just turning back a little bit more.

We can't all have the best rigs, but we also don't need two kidneys either. $$
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamisonWorkshop View Post

We can't all have the best rigs, but we also don't need two kidneys either. $$

HAHAHA wow you are dedicated if your gonna sell a kidney for one of these things. i have mixed feelings on this issue. I really have't seen a Berg in action yet and I haven't comped my rig yet either. I'm not over sleeping next time thats for sure. Anywho I was thinkin Bergs should have a class of their own too. Mainly for the fact that They run 2 motors and don't have drive shafts. Personally I like a shafty just due to the fact that its more realistic. How many 350 small blocks do you see mounted to the front and rear axles of a 1:1 rig. Honestly though after reading this I'm kind of torn. I guess its all in how you look at it. If you think from a truck piont of view then yes you are gonna think the Berg is better. But if you look at the driver point of view than it could go either way. All in all I'm thinking driver ability has more to do with it than anything. I dunno I'm torn on one hand I think they should be in their own class on the other I think we should all just run together and have some fun. Oh yeah I'm stickin to shafty no matter what anyway just due to the realism. I'm thinkin Losi crawler too. Front and rear dig with worm gears sounds nice to me. This will be debated to the end of RC crawling thats for sure. I say lets just have fun. If you win you win if you don't you don't.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

edit:go have some fun!

Last edited by Thorne_Dog; 03-03-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Thorne_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I saw good and bad in each type of rig at the comp on Sunday.
CrawfishStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Uhhhhhhhhhh! Yeah.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #13

Hello all, I am 100% brand new to the rc world, a freind of mine has been trying to get me into this for about 4 years. Though I am an advid 4-wheeler I just couldn't let myself believe this was anything more than a toy. How wrong could one man be. lol, My friend finally talked me into buying the Losi MRC (last week), and all I can say is wow. For the moment mine is stock except for new tires and beadlocks and to me (at 45) it would be a lot of fun to compete with people who are skilled drivers with great builds. Even though I know my rig wouldn't have a chance against a nicely modified rig I would not be intimidated and other newbies shouldn't be intimidated either. People need to learn how to enjoy running their rig the way it is and modify it when financialy able. I believe people like myself have to realize that most people with highly modified rigs have been in this sport a long time and there was a time when they were just like me. (NEWBIE)
katzrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I cant believe some of the wind you guys are putting into this thread?!?! I'll make it short and sweet.

I think the "roots" of this hobby are building, practicing, and sometimes spending the best (not the most) that you can to make your radio controlled crawler perform. MDcrawlerxxx, Im not sure I've seen you at one of the recent comps, but people with box stock axial's AND tlt's (Mike) are having just as much fun, if not more fun! And that is truely where the "roots" of this hobby started... Fun.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
I cant believe some of the wind you guys are putting into this thread?!?! I'll make it short and sweet.

I think the "roots" of this hobby are building, practicing, and sometimes spending the best (not the most) that you can to make your radio controlled crawler perform. MDcrawlerxxx, Im not sure I've seen you at one of the recent comps, but people with box stock axial's AND tlt's (Mike's) are having just as much fun, if not more fun! And that is truely where the "roots" of this hobby started... Fun.
Thats it, Get out have a great time and see everybody pulling some great moves out of their asses to get themselves to the top.
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post

I think the "roots" of this hobby are building, practicing, and sometimes spending the best (not the most) that you can to make your radio controlled crawler perform. MDcrawlerxxx, Im not sure I've seen you at one of the recent comps, but people with box stock axial's AND tlt's (Mike) are having just as much fun, if not more fun! And that is truely where the "roots" of this hobby started... Fun.
x2. I honestly could care less about winning the series. As long as I beat James, I'm happy.

I'm out having fun and trying to break my rig.:-P

There is always going to be someone who is going to have the latest and greatest rig setup, and you will drive yourself batty trying to keep up with the joneses.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

[quote=CronusTRD;1657074]x2. I honestly could care less about winning the series. As long as I beat James, I'm happy.

I'm out having fun and trying to break my rig.:-P

There is always going to be someone who is going to have the latest and greatest rig setup, and you will drive yourself batty trying to keep up with the James quote]

fixed it for ya
broncoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #18

Here's my 2 cents....

I don't care what anyone else runs - I have to run whatever I can afford and my experience / abilities can use. I Don't mind having my butt beat badly in a comp --- it's just a matter of time to develop my rig / abilities....and with all my other RC stuff I mess with, I may never reach a comp winning level in crawling - the important part is that it's all fun anyway! A day where I completely destroy many dollars worth of RC parts is still more fun than working!!

On the other hand, I do think a huge event like Motorama would have have been better if they had seperated the "pros" and the "joes".....maybe next year.

Last edited by Heavy Metal Doc; 03-03-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Heavy Metal Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #19
Got Rocks?

Its a TOY
junkxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkxj View Post
Its a TOY
Uhhhhhhhhhh! Yeah.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote