RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Mega/Monster Trucks (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/mega-monster-trucks/)
-   -   My Mega Truck Build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/mega-monster-trucks/544412-my-mega-truck-build.html)

WesTX 09-08-2015 06:44 AM

My Mega Truck Build

Building a do it all mega truck. Goal is a do it all truck, and will also be a tow rig for my 38" Mono-Hull Outboard powered RC Boat. Want to be able to crawl a bit with it, do TTC style stuff, as well as be a mud/basher truck. I will spend lots of time and research to get the suspension right, to make sure it performs. Here is the proposed parts list. Still waiting to get some parts, those are marked with an asterix below.

Chassis and Body:
- Chassis built using Harley Designs Mega Mud Truck Chassis plans. Will be some slight mods to fit body/suspension but mostly based on the plans. To be built from 0.250" OD, 0.049" wall 4130 tube. Chassis side plates will be 1/8" steel, skidplate will be 1/8" steel.
Have the chassis material, should start building this week.

- Body will be (2) Tamiya F-350 body's chopped up to make a supercab body. Will also extend the hood and open up the wheel openings for the tire size. Bed will be hacked up and the bedsides used to skin the chassis in true mega-truck form.
Have the parts for the body, should start hacking it up and building the body in the next few weeks.

Drivetrain/Electronics:
- Traxxas Summit 2 speed transmission mounted via Jasons SCX plate.
- Kershaw Designs twin 700HO motor setup
- Traxxas EVX-2 ESC *
- Kyosho Mad Force Axles (bought from the ebay with a used mad force), still need some SuperShafty upgrades.
- Drivelines built using a blend of parts and pieces *
- Undecided on servo yet *

Wheels and Tires:
- RC4WD 2.2 Mud Bashers
- Undecided on wheels, possibly DCW 2.6" wheels. Biggest thing is hex's for the axles. *

Suspension:
- 4 link front and rear using Ti Links and Revo Rod Ends *
- Losi LST Shocks on all 4 corners - http://www.horizonhobby.com/assemble...--aft-losb2878 * From what i understand - 1.4" Diameter and 6" long. Should provide plenty of dampening!
- UC Fab Yeti XL sway bar in rear - possibly front as well depending on if it needs it. Chassis will have mounts for front sway bar integrated in case it is needed. *

Will no doubt have more details to add later. Will add as I get there. Just wanted to start this to start jotting down my ideas.

Wes

WesTX 09-10-2015 06:16 AM

Re: My Mega Truck Build

Body build can be found here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/paint...ml#post5294318

Wes

WesTX 09-10-2015 06:25 AM

Some specs I am looking at:

- Looking to have a wheelbase between 15" and 16"
- Suspension tuning is going to be huge on this, as I want a serious performer. Have been scouring through Szcerba's threads to see his different suspensions on big trucks and his feedback on each.

Updates on parts:

- Picked up a dirt cheap Mad Force on ebay for a donor rig. It will give up its axles as well as possibly motor and ESC to get this thing going until I get the Kershaw dual motor kit in.
- Working on getting the following from SuperShafty - 12mm hex's, spools for axles
- Working on getting the following from Freestyle RC - Axle kit with lower link mounts, upper link mount, servo mount. Possibly also going to get a second servo mount in case i decide to run rear steer.

More to come next week sometime.

Wes

Ballistic17 09-10-2015 06:58 AM

Sounds like a good project. Can't wait to see more.

rustneversleeps 09-10-2015 07:34 AM

this should be very interesting.will be watching this...where's my popcorn.."thumbsup"

WesTX 09-10-2015 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the chassis begins.....

0.250" OD, 0.049" wall 4130 tube welded on a Hobart 130 with .035 ER-70S Flux Core Wire. Really need to get a gas bottle and standard wire to get rid of all the spatter but this works and I got the settings figured out. This is just a heavy tack for now. Top bar in the pic hasnt been welded yet as I need to notch the ends.

Wes

WesTX 09-15-2015 04:46 PM

Still making small bits of progress. Working on chassis design tweaks to fit the body. also working on a super trick setup for trans mounting, subframe side plates, and skid all integrated. More on that later

Still waiting on my force to get started on the axles so I can mock up suspension etc. dang USPS is so unreliable these days.

Wes

monkeymagic9 09-15-2015 07:18 PM

Funny you mentiom the usps. Normally I can order stuff and have it 3 days after it ships. Past month or so, my shit is going all over. Just got a package from jersey, a two hour car ride, that took over a week priority mail. What the hell?

WesTX 09-15-2015 07:28 PM

This has been stuck in Iowa since the 11th with no scans since then. Was supposed to be delivered today (shipped the 9th). Not looking good.

Wes

WesTX 09-16-2015 06:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, here is the subframe parts. The side plate with the 3 slots in it will be the inside plates, side plates with 2 slots are outside plates. Will slide over the tabs on the skid. The other bracket that will slide into the upper slots on the inside side plates is for the summit transmission. So it will all fit into this subframe. Will likely add some bracing from the trans mount plate to the frame with some tube once assembled. Once it is all together it should be solid for the link mounts as well as trans mounting. I am pretty happy with how this should come out. Now working on finding someone to waterjet/laser cut these pieces.

Wes

WesTX 09-16-2015 07:42 AM

Yes, free software. Draftsight to be exact. Works very similar to AutoCad.

Wes

DirtyChevy45 09-16-2015 07:44 AM

can view part in 3D?

WesTX 09-16-2015 07:47 AM

Not that I am aware of, but I am a newb at it.

Google sketchup can do 3D, I designed my kids swingset in that.

Wes

WesTX 09-17-2015 02:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Subframe came out killer. Need a bit of grinding on the edges to fit the summit transmission in there, but it should work perfect once I do that. The tops of this will weld to the tube that makes up the main frame section - you can see that section of the frame in post 6.

And USPS finally got with it and moved my donor Mad Force out of Des Moines, IA. Should have that in my hands tomorrow.

Wes

WesTX 09-17-2015 02:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And just like that, the transmission fits.

Wes

WesTX 09-17-2015 03:58 PM

It was done by someone else using a Trumpf laser table.

Wes

WesTX 09-18-2015 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mad Force finally came in.

Looks like my Kershaw dual motor setup should be in next week sometime.

Wes

WesTX 09-18-2015 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A start to the frame.

Wes

WesTX 09-18-2015 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more

WesTX 09-19-2015 02:57 PM

Was working on cleaning up the chassis today and weighed it. As it sits in the pics it is 2 lbs 13 oz. gonna be a heavy rig but should be built strong and be able to take some abuse.

Wes