Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Outlaw Retro Class Scale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #1

Default Outlaw Retro Class Scale

Recently I have been looking into the Outlaw Retro class and getting an idea for what I might want to build. You may have seen my recent posts on advice for building one. I think I need to ask one more question, and I'm asking it in this forum because it's more monster-specific.

I have seen some of the builds that people have done both here and other places, and most people start with Clod Busters and work from there. I've noticed a trend where most of the trucks built on the Clod Buster have inconsistent scaling, with 1/10 scale tires, 1/12 scale body and chassis size, etc.
Is this the standard for the class or just preference, because if I want to get into it I am compelled to stay more within the realm of the Clod Buster scale than true 1/10 scale, or if people want to see a more accurate 1/10 scale build. For reference, the truck I want to do here is the Stomper Bully, with 73" Tires made with 3D printed rims and New Bright tires. At some point I might start a build thread.

Let me know your thoughts
MerlinV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Outlaw Retro Class Scale

If you're building the truck to race, you do not want to run the New Bright tires.

Scale wise, from my retro racing experience, the retro clod race builds are based around the stock wheelbase with any 1/10 body that comes close to the wheelbase. I'm not sure which 1/12 bodies you're referencing. I think you may be referring to the trucks you've seen with longer "stretched" chassis where the body looks tiny in comparison. Those wouldn't be raced in the Retro Class.

If you're just building the truck for fun and do not intend on entering an actual race, then have a good time and do whatever it takes to achieve the look you're after.
salteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by salteen View Post
If you're building the truck to race, you do not want to run the New Bright tires.
My plan is to probably run those for show during the show and shine and switch to some Clod Buster tires during the actual race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salteen View Post
I'm not sure which 1/12 bodies you're referencing.
I'm not sure if you noticed, but some of the bodies for the Clod Buster have been shrunk to fit the chassis, like this one: GMC K2500 for Clod Buster The real truck would have a wheelbase of 129 inches, making it a 12-inch wheelbase at 1/10 scale. So it really is more 1/12 scale, notice how they don't explicitly mention the scale for it. That is probably what you are referencing when you say "stretched" bodies. But that's mainly what I have seen, but I should probably go looking for more inspiration.
MerlinV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

the clod buster uses tamiya sized bodys
most tamiya bodys fit most tamiya chassies there chassies are a generic 1/10 scale the body scale varys to fit the chassies
just like axial and traxxass and everyone else
tamiya set the standerds for monster trucks and most rc cars for that matter so most other brands make a comperable rig of some sort but they set the standered cause they came first

i have one clod with a tamiya ford f350 cab and tube bed generaly considered a 1/10th scale but closer to 1/12th scale if you realy scaled it out and one im running a 1/8th scale scout 2 gen8 body both are vary monster truck ish

both bodys fit the chassie well but are vary different scales
it is what it is
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote

Outlaw Retro Class Scale - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Trail Stomper scale retro mud truck Zac_F71 1.5 Scale Rigs 0 07-01-2015 07:04 PM