Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Kyosho USA-1 VE - thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Kyosho USA-1 VE - thoughts

I haven't seen much written about this truck, thought I'd offer some thoughts since I've had mine a little bit now. I really wanted the nitro version, but the issues with the transmission turned me away...for now anyway.

I bought it on a whim since I can't easily adjust the throttle endpoint on my LMT (that was my excuse, anyway) and I wanted one my kid could drive with the throttle toned down. I pulled it out and it was much larger than I had anticipated and the stance on it was very different than my LMT, it reminded me of a lower slung MT, somewhere between the Maxx and LMT.

The body is amazing and fairly thick, despite being smashed into concrete, trees, dirt, and fences, it has held up really well. The paint is missing in a few spots and it's obviously skidded across my driveway several times, but from about 10ft away, you would never know it. It uses clips to hold in place, which is annoying compared to the LMT, but not a huge deal. I've beat it up pretty hard and it has skidded on the roof or landed on the backside numerous times, but it isn't in pieces like some of the others I have.

What has really surprised me is the durability. My LMT broke halfway through every pack I ran through it in the first 6 or 7 packs: axles, steering rods, servos, receiver, shocks, chassis supports, and a few things I'm sure I forgot about. To solve this, I had to go spend like $350 on alloy axles, which ultimately resulted in it holding up better, but was a tough sell that I wish wasn't necessary. In contrast, I've driven the new USA-1 the exact same way, put it through the same abuse (except maybe backflips), and the only thing that has happened is a bolt backed out on the drive shaft and it fell off. It's been subject to the same asphalt tumbles and hits, but has kept on going perfectly. The axles, in particular, seem more robust and stronger than the stock LMTs and the stock c-hubs are metal, which was a pleasant surprise.

That said, driving it is a bit of a different experience. The steering, tbh, sucks. It reminds me of Clodbusters in that there are long, thin rods that connect to the servo in the middle, which bend and flex. The connection on the front axle to distribute the steering to both wheels wobbles and there is no amount of tightening it down that keep it steady. Under power, you can see the front of the truck wobbling around a bit. It also understeers, badly. It is a lot touchier and more difficult to control, but once you get a feel for it, I've found it more stable and forgiving than the LMT especially at speed. It is slung lower and seems to hug the ground a bit more. The tires, while soft and grippy, are already showing wear though and they seem to sortof fold a bit under heavy load, I think some thicker foams would be justified.

The other beef I have with it is the exposed pinion/spur and chain. I think this mechanism will last a while, but it also looks like it would pick up and sling dirt and accelerate wear. The LMT is fully sealed and has the damper on the drivetrain that prevents damage from heavy braking, which is better, but even driving the USA-1 the same, I haven't seen anything wear excessively.

The ESC is programmable, which is nice, because you'll need to program it. The stock braking % is something like 25%, which is massively insufficient. I increased it to 75% and it makes it a lot easier to control especially in the air off jumps. I've seen a lot of people complain about this, but not realize that you can program several variables in the ESC, this included.

The battery mounting is a little weird. I use 2 2S batteries with a form factor meant to mimic old battery styles. You can use 1 4S/3S/2S, but the two on either side I would expect helps balance. In any case, the battery mounting is very secure, which is nice considering my LMT dumps batteries all the time in stock form. They aren't going anywhere in the Kyosho and they are protected by the plastic shell.

Overall, I really like it. If I had it as my first MT instead of the LMT, I'd probably have been happier in stock form. It's taken a beating and nothing has broken. The LMT is a little more engaging to drive, but it will require modification right out of the gate if you drive it the way that I do, the Kyosho has held up a lot better. I have the 4WS kit on the way, which should add some interesting dynamics to it, but it'll be Jan or Feb before it arrives. I never had the chance to own any old school MTs (my Clod still needs the last few steps of assembly), so I never had the OG USA-1, but I've really enjoyed this one even if it is a bit more tedious in some aspects than more modern ones I've owned.

I really wish the nitro version didn't have the issues it has. Apparently folks have been stripping gears in the 3 speed transmission due to it coming loose or the bearings failing, which kindof stinks. I might get one anyway though...

Last edited by Shinook; 12-31-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #2

Default Re: Kyosho USA-1 VE - thoughts

Man Shinook, that is a well detailed thought and review of the USA-1. Outstanding and thank you. Looking forward to Tower getting them in and fulfilling backorders. Already have an LMT SoaDigger on the way.
shaglioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 07:51 PM   #3

Yeah, fantastic write up! I don’t have the USA-1, but have five (yes 5) Kyosho mad force variants which is the earlier version of the new USA-1. I have 2 nitro rigs and three electric rigs. The electric ones are for my kids and they drive them really hard! I’m amazed at how well they hold up! I wish I could say the same for my lmt. I got it for my birthday last year and have barely driven it. It seems every time I take it out something breaks. Usually the steering. I haven’t broken an axle yet and I don’t drive it hard. And my kids aren’t allowed to drive it lol!

The lmt also flips over much easier in turns than the Kyosho. I’ve limited the steering to keep it from happening, but then the turning radius is too much. Also the replacement servo wouldn’t center right and using trim to fix it takes some turning radius away in one direction. I finally broke down and ordered a reefs 500 for it. Hopefully it will come in next week and let me use the truck again! It is a lot of fun when it works.

I agree the mad force pushes in turns, but only if you’re on the throttle. If you let off the throttle or even tap the brakes, it turns really tight. It’s because the front of the truck is very light and the wheels aren’t really touching. The lmt weighs ALOT more than the Kyosho. This also helps it with handling and landing a jump. The lmt is well sorted out suspension wise. I think the shocks on the Kyosho need some work. I do end up with leaking front shocks on the Kyosho after a while because the shaft opens up the bottom of the plastic shock body.

I’m not sure what you mean about transmission problems on the Kyosho though? I’ve had 10 gallons of nitro through them and only one issue recently with the gear stripping out. I would expect more issues with the abuse I put through them. I’ve had to replace eaten up drive cups on the drive shaft though. But that’s normal on nitro rigs that me and my friends have, including my savage with a .28 engine.
mrluckies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:26 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrluckies View Post
I’m not sure what you mean about transmission problems on the Kyosho though?
According to Facebook groups for the USA-1, there are a lot of reports of issues with the 3 speed transmission, there are a few YouTube videos demonstrating the same thing. I'm not 100% sure of the cause or issue, but something to do with the bearings being out of spec and causing the gears to strip. It sounds like a lot of folks haven't made it past a single tank without issues, with some going down to a two speed to avoid it and others changing out bearings.

I've never had a nitro before, I always wanted one in the era of the old USA-1, but I couldn't convince my parents I wouldn't burn it down (which is not unjust). I debated on buying the USA-1 in nitro, but was turned off by these issues. I also know they aren't widely available yet, so I thought about letting the dust settle a bit and see if it was just a production run issue.

I'm still debating on putting an order in for one, either that or building a Freestyle RC truck...haven't decided.

As for your LMT, be patient. Once you get it dialed in, it'll take some abuse. I've slammed mine into concrete MANY times and it has held up well, the key for me was the alloy axles. I did break one steering rod, but most of my steering issues was with burned out servos. I burned out one Spektrum, a reefs, and a Savox, although in defense of the last two, they were without a servo saver. Someone told me they could handle it and I believed them, but they couldn't. That was when the 25t servo saver wasn't available from Losi. The more you drive it, the more you can work these issues out and it'll eventually end up dialed and hold up well.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:46 PM   #5

Thx for the info. I did a quick search on you tube and saw a couple videos on the transmission. The one I watched showed the cam stop in the gear stripping out and a bad one way bearing. I did have the cam stop strip out on one of my two trucks, but that was after at least 5 gallons (not tanks) of fuel through it and I would have expected it to break eventually. The YouTube video I saw the guy said he only had a couple tanks (not gallons) through it which is way too soon. It’s the exact same transmission as my first nitro mad force from 2009 in the new USA-1’s. Same part numbers and all. Must be a bad batch of parts. That’s too bad. They are usually a solid truck and solid manufacturer.

I love nitro. The mad force was my first nitro. I couldn’t afford a nitro when I was a kid. There’s definitely a learning curve and breaking the engine in is frustrating, but after that they are awesome! I’d recommend giving nitro a try if you get a chance.

Thx for the info on the lmt. I can tell it’s suspension is sorted out well. I’m hoping the reefs servo and treal servo saver come next week and I can try driving it again. I have been disheartened by the servos so far. I’ve probably only driven it ten times since I got it in January last year. I haven’t broke an axle yet. Knock on wood! I bought the braces that Tony at ccxrc recommended when he first reviewed the truck. I also bought a treal axle housing and haven’t installed it yet either. Haven’t needed to because the steering keeps messing up. And I don’t drive it hard like I’ve seen people doing on YouTube, including Tony. I don’t go for big air and just drive around on my lawn. I’ve gone off a small jump and land it ok because it’s so well sorted suspension is easy to drive. Maybe 1 ft in the air. I guess time will tell.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:07 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrluckies View Post
Thx for the info. I did a quick search on you tube and saw a couple videos on the transmission. The one I watched showed the cam stop in the gear stripping out and a bad one way bearing. I did have the cam stop strip out on one of my two trucks, but that was after at least 5 gallons (not tanks) of fuel through it and I would have expected it to break eventually. The YouTube video I saw the guy said he only had a couple tanks (not gallons) through it which is way too soon. It’s the exact same transmission as my first nitro mad force from 2009 in the new USA-1’s. Same part numbers and all. Must be a bad batch of parts. That’s too bad. They are usually a solid truck and solid manufacturer.

I love nitro. The mad force was my first nitro. I couldn’t afford a nitro when I was a kid. There’s definitely a learning curve and breaking the engine in is frustrating, but after that they are awesome! I’d recommend giving nitro a try if you get a chance.

Thx for the info on the lmt. I can tell it’s suspension is sorted out well. I’m hoping the reefs servo and treal servo saver come next week and I can try driving it again. I have been disheartened by the servos so far. I’ve probably only driven it ten times since I got it in January last year. I haven’t broke an axle yet. Knock on wood! I bought the braces that Tony at ccxrc recommended when he first reviewed the truck. I also bought a treal axle housing and haven’t installed it yet either. Haven’t needed to because the steering keeps messing up. And I don’t drive it hard like I’ve seen people doing on YouTube, including Tony. I don’t go for big air and just drive around on my lawn. I’ve gone off a small jump and land it ok because it’s so well sorted suspension is easy to drive. Maybe 1 ft in the air. I guess time will tell.
Good to know. I'll probably end up with a nitro one eventually, but I'm gonna let the dust settle a little bit. Hopefully whatever the issue is will get resolved as a running change. I'll probably wait and see how the next few pre order batches go and if folks continue to have the issue.

I decided to build a Freestyle RC Pro-C instead, which should be an interesting one, it's my first custom MT. I managed to grab the last chassis, transmission, and servo saver they had in stock, so good timing I guess. It'll be a slow build, but I'll start a build thread when I start putting it together.

I also put the low CG battery tray and electronics tray in my LMT. I'd recommend them if you can swing it. The stock battery tray in the LMT blows, I've had to dispose of two batteries because the strap wouldn't hold them in place and they dragged on the ground. The low CG one uses a more traditional velcro strap but also lowers it a lot further into the chassis. I haven't driven with them yet, but the added space for my Monster X in the LMT is nice, the stock electronics tray I always felt was too small for the truck and using both gives you a bit more space.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:32 PM   #7

I installed the reefs raw 500 and a treal servo saver and so far I’ve been able to drive 3 packs through the lmt without any issue! That’s the longest I’ve been able to run it without issue.

It does drive awesome! I also installed 105mm limiter straps front and rear too.

Thx for the advice.

Kyosho USA-1 VE - thoughts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho USA-1 Daddy NS Kyosho Crawlers 12 09-26-2010 10:54 AM
My Kyosho USA-1 hende Non Crawler RC's 23 09-05-2010 10:06 AM
Kyosho USA-1 rollinbigpower General Crawlers 5 02-10-2010 07:16 PM