RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Micro Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/)
-   -   First try Micro Mountain (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/387715-first-try-micro-mountain.html)

Luerkh 06-08-2012 07:48 PM

First try Micro Mountain

5 Attachment(s)
Well... Got motivated by crappy weather a random forum reading... (thanks RCCrawler "thumbsup") and a little ebay shopping im now the owner of a sumo and losi micro... and parts galore... so while waiting on shipping... I seen some video of self made "crawler tracks" so I decided why not... heres how it turned out thus far! Pics with Trucks will be added once I have them! :mrgreen: So would love some ideas to add things! thanks!

Luerkh 06-08-2012 07:54 PM

Re: First try Micro Mountain

Guess I forgot ... I used cardboard, Styro Bowls, Beer Cups, and Great Stuff... Painted with Textured Krylon black n tan... and good old duct tape to hold down the board, cups, and bowls while i applied the Foam...

poopsmcgoops 06-08-2012 11:03 PM

looks awesome! i want to build sonething like that for my trail trekker soon, i think a popsicle stick bridge over the valley would be cool, maybe even leave some sections of the bridge broken for more of a challenge

Luerkh 06-09-2012 09:19 AM

Actually that sounds like a decent idea... I had been contemplating what to make a bride out of... but definitly a good idea! "thumbsup"

poopsmcgoops 06-09-2012 10:16 AM

the coolest thing about micro crawlers is that you can use anything and make a corse lol

Luerkh 06-09-2012 01:14 PM

Yah i bought them cause i hate when i have a day to go run my ax10 and weathers crap... and im still changing chasis and electonics in my mini... so micro will give me an indoor time filler :)

poopsmcgoops 06-09-2012 05:02 PM

i started with a trail trekker and i know my next one will be alot bigger, i love my micro, but i want a bigger truck to romp with :) how did you go about making the crawler track? i want to make one soon using the same materials but im not sure where to start

Dr.Newb 06-09-2012 08:52 PM

i made a bridge out of some old lincoln logs i found laying around for my outdoor course but the spray foam looks amazing i may have to try my own take on this idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by poopsmcgoops (Post 3770984)
i started with a trail trekker and i know my next one will be alot bigger, i love my micro, but i want a bigger truck to romp with :) how did you go about making the crawler track? i want to make one soon using the same materials but im not sure where to start

the first course i made for bad weather was a piece of board with a bunch of decent sized rocks and some crush gravel with glue and sand.

poopsmcgoops 06-09-2012 09:57 PM

lol ive done that, i collected rocks as a kid and it all payed off, got all kinds o big small weird smooth and rough rocks to crawl on inside

Luerkh 06-10-2012 07:40 AM

Well Ill suggest this if you wanna save some $$$ on foam... to use less foam... structure the form of the mountain and hills you want with cardboard boxes... i ran out of boxes so i used bowls and cups :ror: lol... but the only prob with that is used lil more foam to build up the walls... use duct tape to secure the mountain structure then just spray on the foam... i found that holding the nozzle directly to the surface at a about a 45 and letting it build up and slowly moving works best to try and prevent the "poop" look of the foam. also I used a cardboard base because i wanted it to be light and manuverable, if i had the space to leave it setting id use ply wood or something more firm...

Side note on the bridge, haha I actually looked for licoln logs at walmart hahaha but couldnt find what i wanted... the search continues! :lmao:

poopsmcgoops 06-10-2012 08:28 AM

thanks for the pointers, im planning on making one some time in the next month, ill keep the box structure in mind :) thanks!

Dr.Newb 06-10-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luerkh (Post 3771659)
Side note on the bridge, haha I actually looked for licoln logs at walmart hahaha but couldnt find what i wanted... the search continues! :lmao:

Haha, Thats awesome. I ran out of the size I needed so I cut a branch off of a small maple tree and cut that into sections for filler, but now that I made the dually the bridge will have to be rebuilt "thumbsup"

Luerkh 06-11-2012 08:40 PM

I saw some photos of a duely not for sure if it was yours but looked like a pretty cool build... I think ima go Scale build on one of my minis and like a 4 wheel steer comp look on the other... thursday is not coming fast enough lol ... i wish stuff shipped via email hahah:lmao:

poopsmcgoops 06-11-2012 09:39 PM

lol okay so i got the goahead on a 4 foot by 4 foot plot in the yard to make a track, expect a new thread from me soon!

Luerkh 06-12-2012 02:16 PM

NICE! lol hopefully one day soon ill have a yard to do one haha! GL! lets see some pics! "thumbsup"

Dr.Newb 06-12-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luerkh (Post 3774354)
I saw some photos of a duely not for sure if it was yours but looked like a pretty cool build... I think ima go Scale build on one of my minis and like a 4 wheel steer comp look on the other... thursday is not coming fast enough lol ... i wish stuff shipped via email hahah:lmao:

check me out on youtube.com mrloudhoward1990 to see a few quick video's of my TT or you can scroll through my new videos thread on RCC, i keep adding video links to the thread

Made a quick video of my outdoor course -----> My micro course. - YouTube

poopsmcgoops 06-12-2012 10:49 PM

i broke ground on mine today :)