Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SCX24 Mushy Throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SCX24 Mushy Throttle

It's pretty much new with some mods, but I've never liked the throttle control on it. It' seems like it's nothing, the full bore wide open throttle. Not really the best for crawling.

So what's the cause of the mushy throttle, ESC/RX combo or the motor?

I suspect it's ESC just not having the right curve under load.

TIA
itr1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: SCX24 Mushy Throttle

A few things come to mind. Is there friction in the drive train? Something as simple as wheel nuts over-tight can cause problems in this area. Any time I remove the gearbox, I use it as an opportunity to manually turn the shafts and check for excess resistance.

I was never happy with the SCX24's ability to modulate the speed, especially at slow technical crawling speeds. This is why when I saw youtube videos from 2FM RC and showing the killer control you get with a brushless motor and Furitek ESC, I jumped on it.
Unbelievable control.
Edit: content removed and moved to PMs

Last edited by vinceherman; 05-04-2021 at 04:37 PM.
vinceherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceherman View Post
A few things come to mind. Is there friction in the drive train? Something as simple as wheel nuts over-tight can cause problems in this area. Any time I remove the gearbox, I use it as an opportunity to manually turn the shafts and check for excess resistance.

I was never happy with the SCX24's ability to modulate the speed, especially at slow technical crawling speeds. This is why when I saw youtube videos from 2FM RC and showing the killer control you get with a brushless motor and Furitek ESC, I jumped on it.
Unbelievable control. Now I sell upgrade kits.
Could u please link to said-kits? Or DM me with it? Curious if u include motor mount, motor etc??? Got a BL outrunner (surpass 1700kv) and two cheap amazon "24" sized brushless motors, and. A recently purchased TEGU.... Still running stock motor waiting on shape ways
mount delivery

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:12 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Edit: content removed and moved to PMs

Last edited by vinceherman; 05-04-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...25975401842181

If you are not a facebook user, let me know and I can send you the info in a PM.

The kit includes the Furitek ESC, the Surpass motor, the motor mount, Spur gear and pinion bear, and M3 motor mounting bolts.
And a link to a FB page with assembly notes.
The kit is offered with the 2s Lizard ESC or the 2-3s Tegu Mainboard ESC.
It is available as a DIY assembly or assembled on a new gearbox.
Have you considered also doing just the "motor swap necessities"? Like another kit, but with motor mount, spur/pinion gears, and/or a motor? Sounds awesome by the way, i dont frequent FB since, well ...RC life. Lol.

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:06 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...25975401842181

If you are not a facebook user, let me know and I can send you the info in a PM.

The kit includes the Furitek ESC, the Surpass motor, the motor mount, Spur gear and pinion bear, and M3 motor mounting bolts.
And a link to a FB page with assembly notes.
The kit is offered with the 2s Lizard ESC or the 2-3s Tegu Mainboard ESC.
It is available as a DIY assembly or assembled on a new gearbox.

Do you have video after the upgrade?

I saw one from LFE that use a larger brushed motor and seemed to have solved the issue as well.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Now I sell upgrade kits.
There's very specific rules about selling on this site. I'm not the one who will determine if you're in violation or not, I simply want to ensure you're aware of the policy.

Generally speaking I think comments like yours should be kept to PM in order to avoid issues.

Other vendors pay for the ability to be a vendor here and it's unfair to them if anyone can start selling anything anytime.

RCCrawler Forums - Forum Rules

From the site rules:
Vendors
In order to sell your goods on this site you must become a supporting vendor.
RCC will not allow anyone without a vendor star to create "feeler" threads to gauge interest on the product you are thinking about selling.
Feeler threads will be deleted without notice. If you continue to create them you will be warned or given an infraction, then banned, not necessarily in that order.
Please try to support the RCC vendors whenever you can as they are doing the hobby a great service to bring you the best crawler specific parts available.
There are lots of vendors in the Vendors Market section, search around in there.
Vendors can post up product announcements with the technical details of the product in the relevant tech specific forum. Giveaway threads should be treated as a product announcement thread to promote and advertise your product. Please keep the pricing and availability out of these "tech" threads & forums.
The Vendors Marketplace and individual vendor forums are for vendors to post their product "sales" threads that include price and availability of the product/'s. These threads typically turn into members asking when the item is available, posting up that they placed an order, the delivery speed of their order and possibly any questions on issues with the product. These type of threads do not add any technical value to our tech specific forums so we ask to keep them in the vendor forums.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
There's very specific rules about selling on this site.

Thank you for this. I will change my behavior immediately.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:20 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Default UPDATE: SCX24 Mushy Throttle

I replace the previously burnt up motor (not sure if I mentioned that) with a new stock motor. In addition changed the ESC and receiver to Furitek Lizard and Flysky, respectively.

The mushiness is still there, but it's much easier to control. The Lizard ESC allows me to change the throttle curve, so the low end is a bit more granular. Now when it stalls on a rock I have a more control at the low end and it's not as binary.

I'm game to swap to a 050 motor (brushed) or even a brushless 380 or revolver. But I want to work out some spacing things first.

Thanks to everyone that replied!
Old 05-28-2021, 10:08 AM   #10

I experienced this last night while driving my JLU around and it kinda takes the fun out of crawling, so an ESC may be my next upgrade, but it concerns me a little that I may still have the same problem with a brushed motor. Is a brushless motor the only way to make the SCX creep?

I was looking through Tower's SCX24 upgrade page and ran across this; https://www.towerhobbies.com/product...SPMXCA200.html Has anyone used one of these?
_e_w_ is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX24 Mushy Throttle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx24 throttle calibration? Itali83 Micro Scale Rigs 4 10-02-2020 05:46 PM
Axial SCX24 Setting Neurtral Throttle Position? cjt Micro Scale Rigs 4 04-16-2020 07:24 PM
Scx24 goes into reverse when throttle trim higher then m sasq40 Micro Scale Rigs 2 04-15-2020 06:38 PM
Mushy Yeti MonkeyFist Axial Yeti 6 09-16-2015 06:39 AM
mushy steering on Axial A-10 1sttimecrawler Newbie General 2 09-07-2008 07:50 PM