Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: Scaler class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
tjb
Rock Crawler

Default Scaler class

Is there going to be a scaler class this year?? I thought I saw something on it, but no can find...... 1.9 right????
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
MWRCA'er

I'd like to see events, not so much a add on to the existing comp load. My .02.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

we are going to do a just for fun points but no prizes scaler comp this yr it will be ran at end of each comp
intimadationrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default maddjack

Count me in for the 1.9 scale class.
MaddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I better get my azz in gear I haven't started one yet.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Default maddjack

Slowin' down in your old age huh. Stormin'
MaddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

if i make a scaler it probably will not qualify for the scale comp because it will have 2.2's. 1.9 is not always scale, because 1.9's are not scale for a hpi 1/8th rubicon body. i know that everybody makes jeep scalers but i really like wranglers so i plan to make a 2.2 scaler witha rubi body. i plan to add seats and possible make opening doors with hinges on the lexan body. i can understand limiting wheel size because 2.2 tires have a big advantage over 1.9. the one thing i dont like is how everyone claims 1.9=scale, where in reality scale is relative to the body size.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #8
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman View Post
if i make a scaler it probably will not qualify for the scale comp because it will have 2.2's. 1.9 is not always scale, because 1.9's are not scale for a hpi 1/8th rubicon body. i know that everybody makes jeep scalers but i really like wranglers so i plan to make a 2.2 scaler witha rubi body. i plan to add seats and possible make opening doors with hinges on the lexan body. i can understand limiting wheel size because 2.2 tires have a big advantage over 1.9. the one thing i dont like is how everyone claims 1.9=scale, where in reality scale is relative to the body size.
Scale questions

I beg to differ grasshoppa I am about 3/4 of the way through the mock up on mine right now. With a 4.25 to 4.5" tire it will look just fine....Build thread coming soon
Old 02-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddJack View Post
Slowin' down in your old age huh. Stormin'
Hi Maddster, Yup no qestion must be about 1/2 what I used to be. I've spent some effort on the comp rig it's now done and I'm going for a scaler It should be done by comp time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTman View Post
Tman ther should be plenty of 2.2 scalers for you to compete with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Scale questions

I beg to differ grasshoppa I am about 3/4 of the way through the mock up on mine right now. With a 4.25 to 4.5" tire it will look just fine....Build thread coming soon
Can't wait to see the build thread

Last edited by Stormin2u; 02-09-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Can't wait to see the build thread

I'd like to start it now, but the guy that does my welding has been running about 3 weeks turn around time for the stuff I have him do. I just found some more ideers to do on it now, so it might be a bit yet, but it will be at the first comp

I can do it sooner, if you REALLY want to come and bend up some more tubing out in the shop and -35 windchill........:-P

Which I'm taking a warm up break from doing now
Old 02-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

tjb, I'm not as tough as I used to be and anything at -35 doesn't sound very good to me. I've been out of the Army for 40 years bro. I will be starting soon myself just finishing up my 2008 comp truck.
I will be using Double J's Trail Beater chassis and some other goodies. It will have the Proline Ambush 1967 or 68 IH 800 body. No winch or interior this year that will be a next winter project. It should be fun.
Won't be long and winter will give up it's hold I'd like to get down to Cannon Falls for some comp truck testing with MaddJack, sounds like he will be using a video cam during his comps this year, sounds cool.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
tjb
Rock Crawler

I hear ya! I have a fair amount of pieces parts that no longer function like the big guy intended them too myself

After an hour or so, and a wasted 3 feet of rod and 2 drill bits, I will wait until the red stuff in the thermometer decides to come out of that little bulb at the bottom to do more!

Really looking forward to see what your comp rig looks like!!!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I'll post some pics as soon as it's done, I also need to get my bio done on the the new awesome MN-RCRC web page boy those guru's hit the cover off the ball.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 02-10-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
Web Wheeling

We still need to set some basic rules for a scale class, what does everyone want to limit?

My idea from the meeting was to run a 1.9 tire class with very few limitations.
- Manufactured 1.9 tires only, no 2.2 tires that have been modified to fit a 1.9 rim.
- 3" max belly clearance under the tranny/transfercase.
- 1 motor, this prevents clod axles.
- No wheel base limit, as the tire size and max belly clearance will hinder performance if your wheel base is to long. Keep it scale looking.
- Frame must extend over the front and rear axle
- Body must include a hood, front quarter panels, grill, and headlights.
- If the bumpers are removed from the body, new bumpers must be installed on the frame.

Please chip in your ideas, if you think the rules I just tossed out are to strict, or if we should add to it. I just made that list up in a couple minutes.... So its not something I have been working on for months, please feel free to suggest changes to them. This is a class that we want to keep as a fun, less serious class. But at the same time, we do not want someone taking the best 2.2 tire out there and cutting it down to a 1.9, and then dominating the class.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
MWRCA'er

I've been looking into this the last few days. This is what I have compiled. Still a work in progress. Adding to it as I think of stuff.
http://mwrca.net/rules.aspx

I'm capping the tire tallness for 1.9's at 4 inches. This way CC-01's, stock hilifts, and more don't have to worry about the guys with the big rc4wd tires.

If the tire size is over 4 then its run in the 2.2 class as the tire size is closer to a 2.2.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
tjb
Rock Crawler

But would that not be the same disadvantage for a 4.25" 1.9 tired rig running in the 2.2 class? You're looking at 1/8" height difference between a 4" and a 4.25" 1.9 tire. (axle bottom to ground)
But if a 4.25" 1.9 tired rig has to run in the 2.2 class w/a 5.5" rig, that's .75" diff, almost 3 times more...

With limiting skidplate height, I think you pretty much even the minor tire dia difference of some of the new tires coming out..... The taller the tire testically speaking, the lower you would have to set your rig...Just curious
Old 02-10-2008, 02:20 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
We still need to set some basic rules for a scale class, what does everyone want to limit?

My idea from the meeting was to run a 1.9 tire class with very few limitations.
- Manufactured 1.9 tires only, no 2.2 tires that have been modified to fit a 1.9 rim.
- 3" max belly clearance under the tranny/transfercase.
- 1 motor, this prevents clod axles.
- No wheel base limit, as the tire size and max belly clearance will hinder performance if your wheel base is to long. Keep it scale looking.
- Frame must extend over the front and rear axle
- Body must include a hood, front quarter panels, grill, and headlights.
- If the bumpers are removed from the body, new bumpers must be installed on the frame.

Please chip in your ideas, if you think the rules I just tossed out are to strict, or if we should add to it. I just made that list up in a couple minutes.... So its not something I have been working on for months, please feel free to suggest changes to them. This is a class that we want to keep as a fun, less serious class. But at the same time, we do not want someone taking the best 2.2 tire out there and cutting it down to a 1.9, and then dominating the class.
I think any manufactured tire for 1'9 wheels would be OK including rc4wd and trail Dr. xls.
Isn't 3" to the bottom of the tranny a little high for a scale appearance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
I've been looking into this the last few days. This is what I have compiled. Still a work in progress. Adding to it as I think of stuff.
http://mwrca.net/rules.aspx

I'm capping the tire tallness for 1.9's at 4 inches. This way CC-01's, stock hilifts, and more don't have to worry about the guys with the big rc4wd tires.

If the tire size is over 4 then its run in the 2.2 class as the tire size is closer to a 2.2.
Don't like the no new tire rule, I see lot's of highlifts with the new rc4wd tires. I think the new tires make the rigs look right.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #18
Web Wheeling

This is a truck I am building for Troy right now, and the mockup ground clearance is just over 2.5 inches under the frame rails. It might sit up a little taller when is it complete, but that will be determined after I get the axles linked to the frame. Based off this, I figured 3 inches would be a safe number to work with, as this rig is pretty low at 2.5 inches.

Ben, I feel the taller RC4WD 1.9 tires are more scale then the short tires. Even a stock hilift will look better with the taller 1.9s. I know the CC-01's work best with the smaller tires, but we are not building a class around the CC-01.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
This is a truck I am building for Troy right now, and the mockup ground clearance is just over 2.5 inches under the frame rails. It might sit up a little taller when is it complete, but that will be determined after I get the axles linked to the frame. Based off this, I figured 3 inches would be a safe number to work with, as this rig is pretty low at 2.5 inches.

Ben, I feel the taller RC4WD 1.9 tires are more scale then the short tires. Even a stock hilift will look better with the taller 1.9s. I know the CC-01's work best with the smaller tires, but we are not building a class around the CC-01.

Troys rig looks very good

I would guess if you have short wheelbase 3" would put a nasty angle on your drive shafts. My comp rig is only 2.5. I don't think the height thing works very well, what rule will they follow at the Nats
For those wishing to attend National and Regional events we should use those rules.

Why would anyone not want to run the newer 1.9 tires? They actually finally look right IMO.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
Web Wheeling

There are no scale or 1.9 rules for the USRCCA yet, so clubs have been running their own rules.