Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Cross MC8 Winch Tractor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #1

Default Cross MC8 Winch Tractor

Well I figured I've been around here for a while but don't normally post, so I thought I'd share this build with everyone. I wanted something a little different than the standard box, with the option to build a trailer down the road. So I'm aiming for a winch tractor/recovery setup like this one pictured. I'd really like to build a static Hiab/folding crane as some point and mount it behind the winches, but I haven't got as far as to figure out how I'll do that yet.

Started with a perfectly good MC8 which I felt was way too long, so I cut it in half. Took 2.5" out of the middle.

Before:

After:

New tranny mount with R2 trans, doubles as the mounts for the winches on the rear deck. Got two Chinese winches on order from eBay. Need to order some new matching hardware for the frame job still too. Mix and matched every spare m3 screw I had lying around for now.

And here she sits currently. Still need to source a tamiya style 5th wheel coupler, and then I can build some frame sliders. Mount the winches when they show up, and dress up the deck a little. I only have a 3 channel radio right now, so I'll only be able to control one winch for now. Would be nice down the road to be able to run both remotely. The tie rod ends in this kit are prettly sloppy, like punched out axial junk after you run them for a while. Would be nice to swap them out for something more solid, as the front end and steering has a lot of slop in it. Should keep me busy for a while longer.

Last edited by AndrewJ; 11-30-2016 at 01:25 PM.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cross MC8 Winch Tractor

You can run both on a each if you hook them up to a 3 position switch. I run front and rear winches off one controller. The switch allows you to select the winch you want to use or turn them both off so you don't accidentally run it when you don't want to. It looks like your running a flysky gt3c. The third channel is only 2 position. Need 3 for a winch. There's a way to get it to work but you have to mess with the trim to "pause" the winch.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by wblteen; 12-01-2016 at 08:16 AM.
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #3

I've got a heyok controller for a 2 position channel. I hadn't thought about a 3 way switch though that's a great idea!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Could also hack your radio, this will let you assign any button to do anything you want. Might be an option.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #5

Bit more done. Cab is finished just waiting for emergency beacons. Just got my winches and 5th wheel today so mocked up the risers and dropped the winches in place. Wanted to do something a little more for the frame sliders and risers but I'd like to build them from scratch from styrene, so these will do for now.

Finish up the sliders and tool boxes this week hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cross MC8 Winch Tractor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cross MC8 8x8, Now With Yota II's! Prop Shaft Multi Axle Rigs 28 10-20-2015 10:13 PM
Cross MC8 weak points? zanthrax Multi Axle Rigs 2 07-22-2015 05:42 PM
Another Cross RC MC8 8X8 rookie101 Multi Axle Rigs 1 05-26-2015 08:51 PM