Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: Custom competition rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Custom competition rig

bit of testing done today with this rig overall im quite happy with it but more weight needs to be moved rearwards and the rear shocks don't work as well as I would have hoped so I will be changing them the turning ability was hampered by the fact the electronics tray was falling apart when I started to film this so steering was effected by it the front wheels were turning less than the middle axle so that was a bit annoying but that will be fixed shortly as my friend has now made up my aluminium electronics tray and I just have to pick it up and mount it to the truck

anyhow here is a short video of the testing I did today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8YQMfO4nkg
steamboatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2016, 04:48 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

pics will come soon but a fair bit has been changed on the rig internally

added sound unit, moved all the electrics to the rear of the truck, shortened the rear links and made them straight to comply with our scale rules, Got a tray made up out of aluminium to mount transfer case, transmission and 2 servos, added winch, made the front doors lockable with magnets, made all 6 shocks the same (axial 90mm shocks but took the springs off so they work in droop), put in newer motor (new bearings and brushes) but still a HH Tourque Master Pro 35 turn but still have way too much to do to it

still to do

add interior
add lighting circuit
cover up engine bay at back of cab
finish detail on the body (windows, windscreen wipers, mirrors, antennas, etc)

but for now ill just have to let you guys see it in action out the front of my house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff8k...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

just a quick one today had a competition and ended up stripping the transmission gears on the second course but here is the video of the first course, please note there is still a lot of stuff I need to get done on the truck I just need the money to do most of what I want to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekLZ...m-upload_owner
Old 09-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

Well I thought its just time I got off my big hairy butt and show you guys that this rig is definitely not dead and it still is getting the odd one or 2 upgrades every month

the big changes

I now run it on a micro sidewinder 2 esc after burning the last one out.

it has a sound kit that is also getting upgraded to a sound and light kit so I can have all the light buckets up the front lit up like a Christmas tree, also with working turn signals just in the cab, and brake lights, also there is a 6 inch light bar that im waiting on to get installed as with 2, 1 inch light bars as spot lamps,

I had a few problems with the transfer cases being very sloppy but that has now been fixed by shimming the TF Case driveshaft,

Complete and utter rewireing of the truck as I didn't like how the wiring routed through it all.

Steel Cage mounted onto the tray bed to make the whole truck behave when turning tightly this has also been covered over in Canvas. the truck weighs in at around 7 KG or 15.5 pounds

Flaring out the guards with scale checkerplate for a few scale points in competitions.

Added a basic interior, dash 2 seats and driver again for scale points

Complete overhaul of the 2 front axles as I stripped the 2 front lockers

here is the steel cage for the tray before the canvas

action shot

Pictured next to an axial chassis with hilux body to give you an idea of the size of it

Old 09-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

it can be seen in action in this video at around 3:39

Old 09-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

the only 3 things I didn't like about his finished product is the lack of the battery box and the engine canopy isn't high enough. its supposed to be flush with the roof. and there is no air damn for the radiator...

the cargo crane is on point. the weight display tab is a nice touch. and the cargo sides are perfect.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:03 AM   #27

Hi there steamboat

The transfer cases, where about's did you get them?
Thinking about a project and needing a drop box for the forward axle and aft axles
Thanks!
Hay Ewe
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:39 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

got them on ebay for about 40 AUD they are a gcm knock off and work quite well when shimmed for the drive shaft pins
Old 09-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
the only 3 things I didn't like about his finished product is the lack of the battery box and the engine canopy isn't high enough. its supposed to be flush with the roof. and there is no air damn for the radiator...

the cargo crane is on point. the weight display tab is a nice touch. and the cargo sides are perfect.
I just mount the battery on a flat abs plastic tray under the rear bed plenty of room under there for it,

and in regards to the engine canopy and the radiator, I was initially looking for a different truck hardbody that didn't require massive amounts of styrene skills to make perfectly scale this one hit the spot for me as there are not many out there so I can put it up as a bit of a one of a kind rig.

overall there has been quite a lot of work put into this body the only thing is I wish it came flatpacked as it would have made a few things easier like light mounting and painting the interior, making the interior, and also wiring routing.

but all in all I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything after all my rigs and I have had a few this is the first I have told myself that im not going to sell it,

Custom competition rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JP Custom Competition Crawler Body gixerman Paint and Body 2 11-12-2012 04:48 PM
Tommy R's 1.9 Competition Rig Tommy R Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 24 06-26-2009 06:33 PM
Another K2-5!! Griz's 1.9 Scale Competition Rig Grizzly4x4 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 132 01-05-2009 09:56 PM
1.9 competition rig CJBrad Tamiya TLT Crawlers 9 10-13-2008 11:21 AM