Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need help deciding between CR-01 or AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #1

Default Need help deciding between CR-01 or AX10

Aloha folks,

I'm trying to decide between the Tamiya CR-01 or the Axial AX10 Scorpion for my first rig. I'm completely new to Surface RC; I've got a tiny little bit of experience with planes and helicopters, but not much. I'm really interested in building one of these kits, and getting to know the workings of the truck. I'm also interested in slowly upgrading the truck over time as I learn more and get better at tweaking everything.
I think I would be happy with either of these, but I'm leaning towards the CR-01 for a couple of reasons. I like the looks of it, both the mechanical workings, and the Land Cruiser body, and I've read here that people are generally of the opinion that it would have better crawling performance built as-is. I've also built some static Tamiya models in the past, and I've always been impressed with their overall quality, so I trust the brand. I don't want to limit myself as far as future modification goes though, so I don't know if the CR-01 would be a poor choice for this reason.
I don't know much about the Axial brand, although I get the impression that they make quality products. What are your opinions about the overall quality of material and craftsmanship between these two trucks?
My budget isn't really an issue, I just want to make sure I get something I won't be disappointed in later on. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

both trucks are good. I've got an ax-10 and building a cr-01. The ax-10 is easier to build but I'm not you so I hope I helped. Also the ax-10 for now is more upgradeable
celicaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
I'm a stupid C U N T!

The axial is more competition orientated while the cr01 is more scale, orientated so that might be a good factor to consider, personally I like the scale aspect of crawling more than the competing but I still do both
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If you plan on upgrading in the future, then I'd say go with the axial. The CR01 is a great scale truck, and a better out of the box crawler than the highlift but not the axial. In the future we will likely see after market parts for the cr01 but that's probably a long way out. Besides once you fall in love with rock crawling you'll probably end up getting both.

Oh... check this out: Team A'ama
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 AM   #5

Thanks for the opinions guys, I think I'm going with the CR-01. As Kanaka said, I'll probably end up with both trucks anyway, so I'm just going with my gut and getting the one I'm leaning towards.

@Kanaka: Yep, I saw that same flyer in Tioli's on Monday. Unfortunately I have to work that day, but it looks like you guys do events fairly often, so I'm sure I can make it to some at least. Thanks for the tip though!
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Right on. Hope to see you at one of the future comps. Bring that cr01 too, I'd like to watch it perform.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote