Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need more help. Wiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Need more help. Wiring

Ok ran into another problem. When I ordered all of my stuff I got the 7.2 Volt split pack with the deans connectors. I got those because that is what came with the $530 kit from the crawler store so I figured they were the ones that I needed. Well the plug on them is wrong and wont plug into my battery charger or the ESC on the truck. I am running the Novak Rooster crawler ESC and 55 novak motor.

I also got the Super brain 960 charger and with the charger there is a wire that has the right plug for the ESC and on the other end there are just alligator clips. Can I just cut the plug end off of the batteries and put a flat blade crimp on connector on it and do the same with the alligator clips? I dont see how it would cause a problem but I just wanted to check.

Also on the motor it says to sauder the wires that go to the motor but there are 2 flat blade connectors on the motor. Can I just put crimp on connectors on the wiring from the ESC to the motor? Thanks for the help.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Your ESC has a Tamiya male connector and so does your charger. The alligator clips on the charger are for using a 12v car battery as a power supply (you can use AC or DC) so dont plug those to your pack!

Easiest for you would be to buy a Tamiya battery (female) connector from a LHS and crimp that in place of the Deans in the pack. Though I would solder Deans connectors to your ESC and make a Tamiya to Deans adaptor for the charger. The Deans is a better conductor.

I soldered the wires to the motor directly. You can crimp it but use quality connectors.
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainer View Post
Your ESC has a Tamiya male connector and so does your charger. The alligator clips on the charger are for using a 12v car battery as a power supply (you can use AC or DC) so dont plug those to your pack!

Easiest for you would be to buy a Tamiya battery (female) connector from a LHS and crimp that in place of the Deans in the pack. Though I would solder Deans connectors to your ESC and make a Tamiya to Deans adaptor for the charger. The Deans is a better conductor.

I soldered the wires to the motor directly. You can crimp it but use quality connectors.

I am not talking about the alligator clips on the charger. This was a harness that came with the charger.

Here are some pics.

This is the harness I am talking about. Just cut the clips off the end and splice it into my battery pack temporarily until I get the deans plugs for everything.

This is a pic of the motor I am using. It is a novak 55T motor. THere is a flat blade connector at there very top and one on the far right side. The two wires coming off of the ESC are blue and yellow. Does it matter where each wire goes? I dont really see a + and - on the motor so I am assuming it doesnt matter.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Custom Carbon Fiber

id be REAL hesitant about just snipping the plug and shoving the wires into the Deans, one bad bump or short and your charger could become a door stop.

any LHS around ya? just run down and grab a pair of the correct plugs and save the headaches.

the blue wire ( i hope i get corrected if wrong ) on the speedo is the Neg, solder or plug that on the motor neg. if it spins backwards then reverse that and the yellow, that part wont hurt anything if their wrong.

[e] Correction - looking at your motor pic i think i can make out the + sign on the endbell by the bearing area. it looks like its the top left one viewing from your picture posted. the Yellow wire should go there.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Does the ESC have two round female connectors on the blue and yellow wires?

could get or make this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTJ21&P=M

anyway, attaching the wires to the motor with determine the direction it spins so if it goes reverse when you give it throttle just switch the wires. it does not work that way with battery to ESC connections thoough, be sure not to mix those up

Just re-read what you wrote, you mean cut the connectors off the ESC and charger and batteries? and use crimp on male-female flat connectors? yes that would be fine for a while.

Last edited by dave56bug; 06-08-2008 at 03:24 PM.
dave56bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave56bug View Post
Does the ESC have two round female connectors on the blue and yellow wires?

could get or make this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTJ21&P=M

anyway, attaching the wires to the motor with determine the direction it spins so if it goes reverse when you give it throttle just switch the wires. it does not work that way with battery to ESC connections thoough, be sure not to mix those up

I have stuck bare charger wires into my deans to charge them before in a pinch but i would definitely not recommend it lol, you might be able to fit those little alligator clips inside the deans.

The wires are saudered not plugged in. THere are not hobby shops around here either so I have to order anything I may need.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
This is the harness I am talking about. Just cut the clips off the end and splice it into my battery pack temporarily until I get the deans plugs for everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge
THere are not hobby shops around here either so I have to order anything I may need.
That will work. If you want to get the thing going without ordering more stuff cut off the Deans from the pack and splice the Tamiya plug in. Just take care of the polarity of the pack or you might fry the ESC. And cut off the wires one at a time to avoid shorting it.

About the motor; if you get the polarity backwards you will be reversing instead of going forward and vise versa. If you use connectors just flip them around.

Last edited by trainer; 06-08-2008 at 03:36 PM.
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

U got a radio shack?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

would work for motor connectors if you cant solder... also for battery connectors until you get deans soldered on...

If your batteries have a deans, and your ESC have a Tamiya connector your not going anywhere even if you do charge it that way...
dave56bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Ok I got everything wired up. I just used a flat blade connector like you posted at radio shack and was able to just plug them onto the motor. I will eventually solder them but I just did this to make sure everything will work. I also just went and ahead and splice on the batter until I get the new connectors. Everything works great. My battery went dead after a few minutes so I am charging it now. The thing was faster than I thought it would be. Hopefully in about a hour I can take it out and crawl some stuff.

Already got a list of stuff to order from TCS again!! I am thinking rear steer already. I didnt realize it already has a steering axle in the rear too so I might as well put it to use.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

well i suggest getting deans ive had tamiya connectors for a while but when i got my deans i never had problems with then not feeding a current deans all the way plus theyre only like 3.89
breitenbach14 is offline   Reply With Quote