Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default HITEC 5955 or 7955

heres my situation:
7955 around $125-130 shipped
or
5955 at LHS for $115+tax in stock

heres my questions:
1) which one is better? yeah, I know the 7955 is "better" but I dont plan on taking full advantage of its technical features(overload protection, 2x resolution-dont know what this means but Iam used to cheap servos and feel they do fine, just want more torque and DURABILITY) so, what I really want to know is: are these both the same servo, except the 7955 is more programmable?--like I stated, just looking for more torque than I have and durability--Iam used to buying cheap servos, so Iam trying to make one of those investments(pay more now, end up saving)

2) i understand the 5955 is discontinued, and the 7955 is its replacement, right?
a) will 5955 parts still be available?
b) will 7955 parts fit the 5955?(iam sure not all, but main parts like gears)

LAST question
3) if I buy the 5955 from a "certified hitec dealer" my LHS, will it still be covered under hitecs warranty due to being purchased after it was discontinued?(iam sure it will be due to reading hitecs excellent cust service....)

hope someone can help
PS-yes i tried calling hitec about the warranty/discontinued questions but they are closed today.

oh yeah, any other suggestions will be appreciated(looked into jr8711) but I think i want to go with hitec due to customer service feedback ive read
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Yes, the 5955 is discontinued.

Yes, the 7955 is the replacement.

Yes, Hitec will honor any warranty for two years whether it's discontinued or not. After two years, you can pay a fee and have it fixed (the fee is usually very small $10 or so for a new servo, Hitec has some of the best customer service in the industry).

What makes the 7955 better is the overload protection, but you need the servo programmer HS-20 to set it. As long as you have a transmitter with end point adjustment, the 5955 TG servo in a standard 2.2 will *almost* never give you any problems. My six year old son has one in a 2.2 crawler. He has been very hard on it and the servo has never over heated, shut down, or failed him. The only time I have had any issues with 5955 TG servos is in Supers.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Yes, the 5955 is discontinued.

Yes, the 7955 is the replacement.

Yes, Hitec will honor any warranty for two years whether it's discontinued or not. After two years, you can pay a fee and have it fixed (the fee is usually very small $10 or so for a new servo, Hitec has some of the best customer service in the industry).

What makes the 7955 better is the overload protection, but you need the servo programmer HS-20 to set it. As long as you have a transmitter with end point adjustment, the 5955 TG servo in a standard 2.2 will *almost* never give you any problems. My six year old son has one in a 2.2 crawler. He has been very hard on it and the servo has never over heated, shut down, or failed him. The only time I have had any issues with 5955 TG servos is in Supers.

thanks for the reply, pretty much confirmed what I thought.............

dont expect anyone to answer these even "dumber questions" but:
is EPA same as "travel adjustment"?--i have a dx3r, think the "travel" is same as EPA or am I wrong?

so, are the "insides" the same except maybe an extra "chip" or some electronic parts for the overload pro, etc?

what would You do?(for the same price(approx) wait for the 7955 or go with the 5955,,,,Iam not going to buy the programmer for the 7955, so, overload protection feature is not even going to be used)

should i try to get a discount from my LHS since 5955 is discontinued? or will that just ruin my relationship?

ok, a real question: as far as setting EPA/travel
when my wheels are locked (L or R) there should be no buzzing, right? is a little ok or do i want it dead silent?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Or you can buy the 7955 at Stormer Racing for $99.95 plus 6.95 s&h.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaricboye View Post
thanks for the reply, pretty much confirmed what I thought.............

dont expect anyone to answer these even "dumber questions" but:
is EPA same as "travel adjustment"?--i have a dx3r, think the "travel" is same as EPA or am I wrong?

so, are the "insides" the same except maybe an extra "chip" or some electronic parts for the overload pro, etc?

what would You do?(for the same price(approx) wait for the 7955 or go with the 5955,,,,Iam not going to buy the programmer for the 7955, so, overload protection feature is not even going to be used)

should i try to get a discount from my LHS since 5955 is discontinued? or will that just ruin my relationship?

ok, a real question: as far as setting EPA/travel
when my wheels are locked (L or R) there should be no buzzing, right? is a little ok or do i want it dead silent?

Travel Adjustment and End Point Adjustment are the same thing, just different words for the same function.

You are correct, you set the travel / EPA so that you get full lock to lock turning, with no buzzing. Depending on the crawler, *I might* set the EPA 1 or 2 numbers past where I need to be in order to insure the servo will reach full lock under stress in a crawling situation. But that is entirely on the user and how your rig is set up along with your driving style. It is best to set it up with no noise and precise EPA's. Your servo will last much longer and be trouble free.

I am not a Hitec technician nor do I pretend to be one on the internet, but I can only assume the circuit board is what the difference is between the 5955 and the 7955. The torque numbers and everything else is identical. It's only the programming possibilities that changed.

Honestly, I have three new in box 5955's sitting on my garage. Two were suppose to be for my Super and they had been installed and burned up. I sent them back to Hitec and they warrantied them, but I am not going to use them and risk meltdown all over again. If this was for a Super, I would recommend the 7955's and the programmer.

If this is for a 2.2,I would recommend the 5955. I would talk to the LHS, explain to them they are discontinued, and make a fair offer to buy one from them. The 5955 has been excellent in my 2.2's. I have only experienced issues with them in Supers.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default 180 degree option?

nova youre full of answers today...

talked to the hobby shop, they told me "best" they could do is $113 out the door(tax, everything)...i guess not too bad since I wouldnt have to wait..still undecided--I was ready to order the 7955 and warthog from stormer but realized that they dont take paypal(cant have another one of these charges show up on the credit card statement, if you know what I mean.....)

for $90 OTD it would of already been picked up and installed--feel weird purchasing a discontinued item for almost the same price(actually cheaper with shipping from stormer) as the newer replacement.....

whats up with the 180 degree option for like $5 more?(its an option when buying online, you know what im talking about)
Old 08-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
nova youre full of answers today...

talked to the hobby shop, they told me "best" they could do is $113 out the door(tax, everything)...i guess not too bad since I wouldnt have to wait..still undecided--I was ready to order the 7955 and warthog from stormer but realized that they dont take paypal(cant have another one of these charges show up on the credit card statement, if you know what I mean.....)

for $90 OTD it would of already been picked up and installed--feel weird purchasing a discontinued item for almost the same price(actually cheaper with shipping from stormer) as the newer replacement.....

whats up with the 180 degree option for like $5 more?(its an option when buying online, you know what im talking about)

Servo City has the 7955 for $114.95 and I think they take paypal.
http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-7955tg_servo.html

As for the 180 degree option, that is more for airplanes and robots, not crawlers. It's not something you need.

As for your LHS, $113 out the door for a new servo is not that bad. It's still expensive to be sure, but Hitec has a good warranty, quality customer service, and it's new. Buying used electronics can be a crap shoot. You never know how it was treated before you got. Every servo that has failed me, I bought used. I always try to buy new when dealing with high end electronics.

As for the answers, I am just glad I can help. We all start somewhere, and we all have questions from time to time.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

bought the 5955 from lhs...very quality looking....just got done installing

so, there isnt supposed to be noise?
i have noise when on the ground and wheels turned any amount besides centered. oh, and makes "glitching" type sound when trying to center itself(under load)........my rig isnt that heavy 5oz weights front wheels(stock axial)

when i lift the front up with no load it turns lock to lock and centers itself a lot smoother/quieter

ive messed with EPA so dont think that has anything to do with it...only thing I could think of that is putting more strain than usual is the link on servo arm is mounted about 2mm higher than in stock position

i know the noise when turning loaded or unloaded is normal(it is loud though), but dont understand why it wont CENTER itself to where it doesnt keep making that "glitching" type sound, is that normal?

this thing is loud.....like it resonates or something
Old 08-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
bought the 5955 from lhs...very quality looking....just got done installing

so, there isnt supposed to be noise?
i have noise when on the ground and wheels turned any amount besides centered. oh, and makes "glitching" type sound when trying to center itself(under load)........my rig isnt that heavy 5oz weights front wheels(stock axial)

when i lift the front up with no load it turns lock to lock and centers itself a lot smoother/quieter

ive messed with EPA so dont think that has anything to do with it...only thing I could think of that is putting more strain than usual is the link on servo arm is mounted about 2mm higher than in stock position

i know the noise when turning loaded or unloaded is normal(it is loud though), but dont understand why it wont CENTER itself to where it doesnt keep making that "glitching" type sound, is that normal?

this thing is loud.....like it resonates or something
The buzzing it makes at center is normal. The only way to get that to stop is to buy a programmer and increase the dead band at center. The buzzing at center is not a big deal. When you are driving the crawler it will be able to find center easier because it is in motion. At a stop it might buzz / hum, but that's normal.

The thing to be concerned with is having the travel / EPA set correctly. That will burn up the servo quickly if it's not set correctly. Once you have it set up, just keep an eye on the temperature of the servo. If you can keep you fingers on it, you are good to go. If it's hot to the touch and you can't hold your fingers on it, shut it down and let it cool off. My suspicion is that it will never get that hot in a stock Axial 2.2.

Like I said before, the Hitec 5955's in my 2.2's never got hot. I only had problems in my Supers. In my 2.2 pimp cane clod, the front tires were heavily weighted, over 1 pound per tire, I could only crawl about 30 minutes with it and then I had to stop and let the servo cool down. But you are no where near the weight of that crawler. That thing was close to 10 pounds.

Have fun and learn your crawler. That servo will help you out of tough positions because it's so strong. Good luck
Old 08-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Welcome to the world of Hitec servos, they like to make themselves heard. I have digital servos from Futaba, JR and Hitec but only the Hitec hum, all of them even the new 7955. I am still using the 5925 in my TC3 which is seven years old and it still works. However, I did have one 5925 wear out and Hitec repaired it for $30. I also had two 645 die within a few months, both were replaced by Hitec and both died again. Just recently my JR 8450 fried but that was after six years in a 1/8 buggy.

The best servos in my opinion are Futaba but they don't make one with the 5955/7955 specs.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

thanks.....learned plenty today
Old 08-22-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

how about a hitec hrc5998 tg hi torque servo ?
ROCKCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i never knew the 5955 was discontinued?
breitenbach14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Yeap it was replaced by the 7955
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

just got back from some light crawling--wow what a difference

this message is aimed toward "newbies" debating servo selection for crawling:

GET A DECENT SERVO-out of box and in house you might not realize how much better they are, but when in certain situations when wheels are jammed- a good servo might/probably help get you out

was wary about paying over $100 for a servo, but iam sure I wont regret it(we'll see how long it lasts)--so far im happy,even when looking back at reciept and realizing what I spent

before this I had the ckrc wiggle-good if you take it easy, but compared to the 5955- the wiggle is sh$t(the wiggle burned out in about a week, my epas were not exactly ideal though)

5955 got a little warm after about 20 minutes of crawling and pushing the servo a little(testing it out)....

to wrap this up-get a decent servo now-or- you will most likely waste money by buying them over and over:-(