Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New ax10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New ax10

Hey every one! I just picked up a brand new ax10 RTR! and I want to get ready to rock n role. Any suggestions on what I should do first? I was thinking tire foam, and maybe put the locker in. I am a little confused on how to go about putting the locker in. All the advice would be helpful.

Thanks again!
jmantalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Here is a picture of a diff locker it isen't hard to install, you will see what you need to do.

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/Press...7;20locker.jpg
Haziza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Take the axle apart and you will figure out where the locker goes. Gotta just dive into it and try to remember where everything goes, and if you can't remember go back to the manual. It's no big deal and something that you need to know how to do anyway.

Starting out on a RTR I would upgrade the servo to something like a Hi Tech 645mg, then move on to links. From there just upgrade as you break parts, and once you start upgrading motors and radio gear, you can upgrade to an even better servo and save the 645 for a dig unit if you end up putting one in. Check around in the AX10 section and see what everyone is doing to get some ideas, because there are so many upgrades out there, both good and bad, that it's hard to even begin to list them.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I defiantly need to get the locker put in. I just do not want to end up breaking something, and not have it work.

So putting the locker in isn't a huge deal?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantalk View Post
Yeah I defiantly need to get the locker put in. I just do not want to end up breaking something, and not have it work.

So putting the locker in isn't a huge deal?
Breaking parts is half the fun of it.

You wont break much from putting it in, but it will be a little rougher on your steering servo until you get a good metal gear one. You're gonna have to have that locker in there to really see the true ability of these things though.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #6

I would say lockers (a must) and some good tires and memory foam inserts. From there, definately upgrade as you break stuff! Bent links are good, but mounting your links inboard of your side plates is a super low buck mod that makes a big difference in not getting hung up! Have fun
overkillphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkillphil View Post
I would say lockers (a must) and some good tires and memory foam inserts. From there, definately upgrade as you break stuff! Bent links are good, but mounting your links inboard of your side plates is a super low buck mod that makes a big difference in not getting hung up! Have fun
Inside you say? That my be next on my list, any pics if this? for me to go off of? Scence my locker is in, and foams are cut I may have to look into this.:-P
Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantalk View Post
Inside you say? That my be next on my list, any pics if this? for me to go off of? Scence my locker is in, and foams are cut I may have to look into this.:-P
Old 09-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #9

Just like the picture above, only try to use button head screws as it will give you a smooth side. I will try to get a pic up ASAP
Old 09-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Just like the picture above, only try to use button head screws as it will give you a smooth side. I will try to get a pic up ASAP
Yup, I run button heads on everything like that. Stole that pic from someone else's thread this morning but it's a good example.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #11

Here you go... See how smooth the sideplates are?

Old 09-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Hmmm I see what you mean. Ill have to look into on how to get that done, Now my next question would be, What should i upgrade next? links? engine? servo? which would give me the best usage first?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #13

I'd say, a nice low mounted battery pack to get the center of gravity low, and then start looking for a nice strong servo (300 oz minimum). From there it'll come down to personal preference and style. Be sure to post pics as your crawler progresses
Old 09-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Here you go... See how smooth the sideplates are?

What screws did you use? the size for putting on the links, and hold the skid plates on, and is the frame threaded? do I need to drill this? A procedure for doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Suggestions welcome.