Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Mini Quake crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Mini Quake crawler?

Hey guys, I have a Duratrax Mini Quake that I used to play around with alot when I first got it but now it's just sitting here getting dusty. I'd like to make it more "rock capable", not actually a full-blown crawler though since it's got indy suspension. Any ideas? I also have the mini-T wheel adaptors, any taller/better tire options out there for it?

Thanks in advance,
T.D.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Hehe, well.. first think you need is ball diffs, tightened down so there is no diff action... Or you could just jb weld the gear diffs... get a set of 12mm hexes and use them with your mini-t wheel adapters to mount some bigger wheels/tires... I wouldn't go bigger than 1.9 on a miniquake... then you need the smalles pinion and biggest spur you can fit... I dont know of any high turn 380 motors but they might be out there... Or there are kits to adapt a 540 motor to the mini quake.... Other than that, there isn't much you can do....

(edit) fixed gear mixup

Last edited by dacaur; 10-07-2008 at 12:59 AM.
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

i think dacaur is a little mixed up on is gears you want the biggest spur and the smallest pinion you can fit on there. not saying he does not know what hes talking about just saying he got a little mixed up and some want anyone to wast there money on the wrong gears. other than that i have no idea i have never even seen a mini quake.
smallblock500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

ARG.... Ive corrected people for the same thing!!! Yes, you want a bigger spur, smaller pinion.... *walks off mumbling to himself* I edited the original post so its correct....
Old 10-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I had a mini quake and it didn't seem like a good candidate for a rock crawler.

I don't think there is a low enough gear ratio (using MQ gears) to be crawler worthy so your best bet is to fit a 540 motor in there.

i don't think the drivetrain will hold up very well either. Try it and let us know
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

there are planetary gear reduction units you can get to fit 380 or 540 motors to lower the gear ratio.....
Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I do have the supposedly "better" diff gears and the aluminum cvd's front and rear, and the lowest gear ratio that will fit the stock setup. Beyond that, I'm at a loss to improve it's performance on the rocks. I did a mockup with some 1.9 Rock Crushers, but they look huuuuge on that chassis (the wheels would be less than 4 inches apart, measuring between them). It's still a fun lil 4x4, guess I'll just have to live with it's limitations.

Thanks again, guys

T.D.
TrailDawg362 is offline   Reply With Quote