Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Fake Rock wall?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Fake Rock wall?

Well, I bought the kids and me some Losi MRC for Christmas, but I need an indoor rock wall to climb. Does anyone make a portable rock wall like RCP Crawlers use at RCX? Something I can move around from room to room or even outside. We have plenty of cool rocks in the desert, just looking for something for indoors.
RAMTech-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

check out this.. there hand built you can do it at home...

Artificial Rock Course
needs2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #3

Check this out also, here's what we did up in AK.

http://www.aroararacing.org/forum/vi...php?f=11&t=392

It's pretty easy if you have the room...
devilsdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Looks like that thing takes up the whole run.
lt99ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:02 AM   #5

Naw that was just a close up of the rock. It's about 4 feet by 5 feet and about 18 inches tall, course I do have a big living room...

These are a little more geared towards minis though.
devilsdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Hey, Rob, how ya doing man? was shocked to see your username here.
i think you and the kids will have a RIOT with Rock Crawling. its EXTREMELY different than what the baja offers. lol

theres a few good ways to do this. a few of the guys posted up good options already.

one thing we are doing is taking the 1 inch blue styrofoam for building insulation, breaking it into different smaller sized pieces. glue them together in mounds on a piece of wood (like a 4x8 piece of plywood) once they are glued on and dry, then take Good Tiling Grout, mix it up kind of thick *(about like pancake batter), then pour and srpead it out on the styrofoam, mold it to shape a bit and let it dry. once dry, set it up. flat, on an angle, ect..

heres a couple pics of what out setup turned out like.

now this is mixed in with some real boulders. but you can see how nice it looks and it works great. some of us smaller guys can walk on it also, so its pretty strong, ofcourse the grout layer is a bit thicker, which make the unit fairly heavy, but not so heavy one guy cant handle it.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I need something really portable that can go outside too. I may try and do one out of a big sheet of polystyrene, and heat mold it over some rocks.
RAMTech-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
RCC Addict

the big pice is like 4' x 6' maybe. the other piece is like 2'x6' or so, not to bad, but we havent tried to move it yet. lol

ii seen a few threads about making pieces out of Great STUFF foaming spray, and plywood, and/ or blue styrofoam to provide a structure. make then 2x2 or 4x4 or so, maybe on a piece of 1/4 inch plywood for support. easy to move, and setup on different angles. just tossing out some ideas. if anyone knows where those course build threads are, please link them.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

one option ive seen done is spray foam over a chicken wire backbone with either bedliner or a heavy grout or stucco concrete on top of that...should be fairly light.
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I helped in builing the RCP set up for the RCX show last year, and it was a very easy process. It just gets a little messy lol. I just got some MRCs for my kids to play with for xmas and I was just thinking of how I could make an easy portable set up that would fit in the house etc.
Here is how I am gonna do mine. (very similar to RCP's) I have 1 sheet of 1" x 36" x 72" styrafoam that I will use as a base. I have several other peices that I will cut up/break appart and glue them with 3M spray adheasive to the base. Once the glue has set, I will take a wire brush and carve/ shape away Just like we did on the RCP layout. After all of the shaping is finished, I will spray on a few coats of Plastidip to coat and protect the foam (RCP's set up was sprayed with bedliner) Then I will paint it. When finished I will have a 3'x6' set up that is small enough to fit in their room and slide under their bed when not in use. And light enough that they will be able to pull it out from under the bed to drive their MRCs on it.
Easy, light, cheap, fast and portable....
ElChupoCabre is offline   Reply With Quote