Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial, Losi 2.2, or Berg... which would you build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Axial, Losi 2.2, or Berg... which would you build?

I'm going to be building my first rig after I get my tax return. I'm looking for something to crawl for fun, and compete with at the local club level.

at first I was dead set on the AX10, as it's probably one of the most popular trucks and has lots of aftermarket support...

Then I started to read about the new Losi 2.2 crawler that's coming in a few months, and it looks damn nice. Still hasn't proven itself, but it's looks like it's gonna be a really nice truck...

But then I started to notice all the Berg trucks poping up, and these thing can really crawl...

Something about shaft driven trucks apeals to me, maybe it's because they're more realistic or something.. (single motor, tranny, driveshafts, much like a full size truck). but damn those Berg trucks can crawl

It doesn't seem like building a Berg based truck is much more expensive than building a comp ready AX10, but it would probably be more work on my part..

Cost is hard to guess on the Losi, it may crawl great out of the box, but I'm sure I'd be bolting parts to it and changing things within a week..

Anyways, if you were new to crawling, which truck would you go with?
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

Build a berg.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Keep it real

You can set up a shafty to work as well as a Berg, so it's really what you want in the end.

I doubt you'd be changing anything on the Losi, unless it's electronics

All three are good choices.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Just pull out a big wallet and go for all three.
moabax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
You can set up a shafty to work as well as a Berg, so it's really what you want in the end.

I doubt you'd be changing anything on the Losi, unless it's electronics

All three are good choices.
You really think the Losi won't need anything? that's kinda boring....lol
Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moabax View Post
Just pull out a big wallet and go for all three.
I wish...

Toss a 1.8 MRC and a Super in there while you're at it. lol
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

It depends on what your into go with the axial if you like to buy upgrades an tinker for a while, the berg if you want a comp crawler out of the box, or the losi if you want to wait for horizon to release it
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The bergs are sweet but pricey. I have an artr axial that i have been fooling around with works pretty nice. DO you really think the losi is going to need no upgrades. I read an article and I was impressed that it had a dig stock but seemed just like any other.
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB_117 View Post
You really think the Losi won't need anything? that's kinda boring....lol
of course it will need "something". Before you know it there will be 20 option parts from Losi and 200 from everyone else. Nature of the modern hobby.

Axial - Can't go wrong for the performance and price when built properly. I love mine and am very confident with it.

Berg - Obvious benefits. I actually want to build a Berg rig.

Losi - New to the 2.2 game but not the market. Their rig is going to be bad ass no matter what.

Personal opinion. Start with an Axial and learn the thing. Learn what a shafty can do. You will be amazed if you learn to drive well with one. You might not want a Berg. THEN upgrade to a Losi and learn all over.

Sure the losi is a shafty, but it is a completely different beast.

My $.02.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i dont know why people are saying that the losi will comp awesome straight out of the box and you really wont need to add/ change things... you would be naive to think that it wont need or that there won't be better chassis' made for it and better suspension set-ups. imo, it will be similar to the ax10 minus the torque twist (because of worm drive) and having to get a dig (the losi is supposed to have it).

look at all the hype w/ the venom, imo, you cant brag about a rig until it starts dominating comps, much like the berg has. people love seeing new rigs come to market and thats great for our hobby, but if i were you i would just concentrate on what u are going to use the rig primarily for... if its all-out comps, get the berg or bully axles and build. if its just for crawling with your friends, maybe you'll be just fine w/ one of the shafties available.

and the one thing that no one is mentioning is that the ax10 is the best choice to make if you think you might want to get into scale rigs later on.

i, myself, wanted to do a moa comp build, but also wanted to do something other than the usual bully or berg. i decided that i wanted to be different and build a 2.2 clod, even if i might be at a slight disadvantage because of a wider track width. i can assure you that i'll be the only one crawling at my location with a clod, and for the money that i paid for used modded axles, i couldn't get into any cheaper moa that is this bombproof.

Last edited by jedsled; 01-28-2009 at 12:08 PM.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

are the XTM rigs any good?
playzwtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I think if you have the incliation for competition i would go berg. There are advantages to MOA and i feel they are easier to drive well, and slightly less sensitive to suspension setup (no torque twist). I have my 08 comp rig which started its life as a pseudo scaler and quickly morphed into a all out 2.2 comp rig. I took was i learned with that rig and was therefor able to get past most of the growing pains with the new berg rig...i also wouldnt say that the berg is an "out of the box" comp rig. Basically all you need is the axles and everything else you buy peice meal.

I would hardly call a 2.2 clod "different" since they are the original MOA that was used for 2.2. They require some special setup to work well as a 2.2 but they are the original MOA and IMO still one of the best.
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedsled View Post
i dont know why people are saying that the losi will comp awesome straight out of the box...
Because we've done the research and didn't rush it to market. Gatekeeper has been up to his armpits in the design(he's won almost every single major event in the last 2 years), as well as the rest of the team contributing our knowledge and experience to make this car. Will there be hopup parts for it....sure there will, will people tune it to their driving style...sure, but it will be able to hang with the best right out of the box. It may not be for everyone, it takes a different driving technique, just like MOA cars do.
I know people will build there own custom creations using say just the axles or select parts just like any other car, and that's the beauty of the diversity we have in this thing we call Crawling
But don't take my word for it, drive one for yourselves and decide
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Wow. Thanks for all the great info guys.

It's gonna be hard to choose for sure.

Maybe that losi truck will be out by the time I get my tax return and I'll be able to a better idea of how I like it.

I have a feeling I'm gonna end up with more than one truck.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Because we've done the research and didn't rush it to market. Gatekeeper has been up to his armpits in the design(he's won almost every single major event in the last 2 years), as well as the rest of the team contributing our knowledge and experience to make this car. Will there be hopup parts for it....sure there will, will people tune it to their driving style...sure, but it will be able to hang with the best right out of the box. It may not be for everyone, it takes a different driving technique, just like MOA cars do.
I know people will build there own custom creations using say just the axles or select parts just like any other car, and that's the beauty of the diversity we have in this thing we call Crawling
finally someone answers my question why the comp losi will be so much better than the axial. seems like it can do some great thing. not to mention the stock dig, thats a big plus
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Can someone tell me why the berg is so specail?
playzwtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Nubie did not think that any truck would be up to a mod rite out of the box. Am going to build a crawler and in my mind I like the Losi platform the best I am smart enough to know it will not be totaly Losi for long
Timothy Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Tanis nailed it guys.

I have driven all three. I will be driving the LOSI when it comes out even if I were not sponsored by LOSI. (Sure glad I am so I woudn't be forced to drive something else )

That said, I choose my Axial/SW3 over my Berg. I won with it last week against 78 people and bunch of MOA rigs. I believe I am currently leading our series points. All with the Axial. So people that say the MOA is the only rig that can win or that it has a huge advantage over a shafty are not exactly correct. I honestly do not think I would have done as well with the Berg.

My .02
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:

well said tanis, i just went through a big oldschool build with my rockforce. out of the box it was fun,now i believe its competitive. i personally like to build. that being said i value the input that all the team losi drivers have put in to this(even keeping it quiet) i respect their knowledge and can confidently say that this will be a competitive rig right out of the box. thanks for the hard work guys. i will own a losi when its released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
Tanis nailed it guys.

I have driven all three. I will be driving the LOSI when it comes out even if I were not sponsored by LOSI. (Sure glad I am so I woudn't be forced to drive something else )

That said, I choose my Axial/SW3 over my Berg. I won with it last week against 78 people and bunch of MOA rigs. I believe I am currently leading our series points. All with the Axial. So people that say the MOA is the only rig that can win or that it has a huge advantage over a shafty are not exactly correct. I honestly do not think I would have done as well with the Berg.

My .02
congrats on the 1st place brian way to go
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Default Axial V.S. Wheely King

Well I built a Wheely King because of the price and the way it looks with the 1/8 scale rubicon body primarily. However, I just ordered an AX10 for my youngest son because the price was so reasonable and he likes the look and performance of the Axial AX10. Here is the price comparison after ordering both from Tower Hobbies. Note this is for a Rolling Cassis only:

Wheely King 4x4 (134.95)
Crawl Coversion (49.95)
-20 promo discount
Total: $163.95

Axial AX10 Kit (219.95)
-20 promo discount
Total: $199.95

From there they would both go well with a Novak 55t and Rooster ESC Plus a nice high torque servo, receiver and radio of your choice.

Note: The wheely king does not come with bead lock rims and is not as competitive at crawling as the Axial - mainly due to the higher cg of the wheely king, but it does look very cool with the 1/8 scale body. They are both too much fun
lwarc is offline   Reply With Quote