Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Worth the $$$??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 01:36 AM   #1

Default Worth the $$$??

Just started lookin into the RC thing. Played with my buddies crawler the other night and had a blast!! I felt like a dork, but it was fun, seems perfect for when i cant get out on the trails with my actual trail rig. Ive been researchin for the past hour, and it seems like it gets spendy pretty quick. Im lookin at the AX10, seems like a good starter rig. Hopefully i can find one used, along with all the crap that i need to start crawlin. Are these things pretty capable right out of the box? Ive read that people break drivelines, shafts, etc. Seems like it would be hard to break these messin aroun on small rocks. I wonderin how fast the $$$ is goin to add up. Is it worth the ca$h to keep rccrawlin?
Benjitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Compared to full-size rigs, these things are a steal AX-10 does quite well out of the box. For actual competition, it will invariably need some tweaks/modifications. It depends on the driver too. Some guys can't go a full run without popping driveshafts because they do nothing but hammer the throttle and yet I've seen others that are running the stock drivelines and have never taken a repair penalty.

Kinda funny you should mention the "dork" effect. I had all my R/C junk slated for Ebay until I discovered the local racetrack and crawler comps. I don't do it to play with toy cars/trucks, I do it for the competition. If there were no comps, I think all my stuff would be long gone.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Dont worry about looking like a dork, once your out there with ten or more people you'll blend right in. As far as the $$$ factor, you'll have a pretty good cash lay out at first. after that its maintenance cost's and if you still have extra money the upgrades will begin. If your any good with simple hand tools you can save a ton by fabricating your own parts. I say spend the cash, get your self an ax-10 and go have fun you won't regret it.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Hah, the dork affect...

The first time I went crawlin at a highly public place (interstate rest area and park), I felt that way at first. Soon, however, there was four or five of us crawling the concrete. Most of the day, our group had quite an audience from young and old alike. Folks dig crawlers, mostly because I think they appear to defy gravity and perform feats that most people have never seen before...kinda part of the reason I just started doing this myself

I have no regrets spending the $500 or so to get into this part of RC. The bone stock AX10 ARTR with Novak ESC/55T motor and a decent servo up front will do you just fine. I have put that poor thing into some pretty ugly binds, and the only thing that's broken is one driveshaft. My knuckles are getting pretty worn out, though...so metal knuckles and C-hubs are in order. The stock plastic axle parts are cheap and hold up a lot better than you would think.
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 AM   #5

When people give me a hard time about the RC cars i have i just say 'look would you rather i go down the pub and drink beers .. or sit on my ass watching TV .. or playing playstation or whatever' .. instead i go down to the track for racing .. or down to the river for crawling .. get some fresh air .. get out of the house .. talk sh*t with my mates and have a good laugh .. and maybe even win a trophy or a prize .. even got the Mrs. into messing around with RC cars and she was one of the ones to make fun of me the most .. so i say go for it .. after the initial outlay you won't really spend that much .. unless you get addicted!
SNPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
RCC Addict

ive been into RC for over 15yrs now (not crawlers...) and it does not bother me one bit. Im hoping both my kids get into this hobby all cuz it keeps them out of trouble (drinking, drugs, etc...).

Id rather see them drop 500.00 on a sweet SCX then any ammount of illegal substance. Besides....it would mean quality time with Pa'
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg View Post
...Im hoping both my kids get into this hobby all cuz it keeps them out of trouble (drinking, drugs, etc...).

Id rather see them drop 500.00 on a sweet SCX then any ammount of illegal substance. Besides....it would mean quality time with Pa'
x100000
Ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

It can add up quick if you let it, especially once you really get hooked. Easiest way to keep things in check is to just upgrade as you break parts, or as you see a need for better performance. As for feeling like a dork, we all have our moments. It doesn't bother me much anymore though. Heck, my dad is in his mid 50's and always makes sure to tell me I need to get my crawlers back down to his house again so we can run them. It's something we did every weekend last summer and we'll do it again as soon as I get all of my rigs going again, because my stepmom is also wanting to drive with us now.

I was also unsure about how my g/f would react to me having them sittin around everywhere when we first started dating, and the first time I handed her the radio to drive one she gave me a look of total confusion as to why I thought she would even be remotely interested in driving one. Now, she wants to mess with them nearly every time she comes over, and I've got to build one for her soon.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Everyone in the RC world is a dork, don't worry about it. hahaha!!!
It comes down to what you wanna do....do you like the realistic scale rigs? Just wanna bash and play on the rocks? Or compete? Competing can get expensive......but then again, I've got way more into my scale rigs than my comper....haha!
But they're worth it......tons of fun when out wheelin' with yer pals.
HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Its all good. Spend your waud and get an ARTR Axial. If you watch the classifieds here youll find one for a good price. Good thing is rc's dont depreciate like everything else.
-WHEELMAN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #11

Sounds like an Axial is the way to go for a right out of the box, semi-competent crawler. I dont mind feelin like a dork, it was worth it how fun it was. Just sounds like i'll have to take it easy, and try not to break it for a while until i learn more about all the parts and goodies to replace them with. I better start scroungin my cash Thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I would suggest you look at the Berg cralwers. They are a little more expensive in the begriming, but it pays off in the end. They are way more capable out of the box, and with a few mods will do things no shafty will do ( this point will be argued by the shafty guys who will not admit the truth, but it is the truth read the berg section to see the people who switched and would never go back) and are more durable.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Pony up $20 for a star and hit the classifieds on here. You'll get a very competent crawler with all the upgrades already added for much cheaper than buying the kit and upgrading as you go. For my first crawler, I bought the kit and then upgraded and spent about $1000 in total. I then bought a fully rtr rig (minus tx/rx) with even more upgrades off the FS forums for $500 shipped!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I had an AX10 RTR and it was a blast. Best thing is there are tons of upgrades for these trucks.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

dork??? it is all in your perception of the world. i got into the hobby late in life(40). bought my first AX10 and thought it was a blast! i have spent well over $1500 and have not even seen the first comp. LOL not that i built it for comp's, but if i decide to i will have a jam up ride to do it with.

the money part is up to you. what do you want? just a basher, scale or comp? that is for you to decide. just read the site, it has a plethora of information. there are parts you will waste your money on, so be warned.

dork, really?
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #16

Yes, RC crawlers are dorky. The only thing worse might be guys in capri pants riding seatless bicycles (my sport of choice). This video got me into rc crawlers. It seemed like a great after ride activity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5nuJJFU6bI

Building a crawler is more than fun, it promotes a lot of creativity and problem solving! Definitely worth the money I have put into it!
derangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #17
RCC Addict

i have 1000's into RC alone....
DORK = watching retard with bottle thick lenses, yelling at the spotter to flip his car atop a tower, holding his radio.
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #18

That crawling video was sick!! Everytime i watch a video of rc crawlers, it makes me want one ASAP!! Im thinking i'll just kinda bash on it (lightly) until i get used to it, then buy an fj40 body and build a scaler. It sounds like it will be nice being able to fab stuff up for a scaler fj40 and not come home at the end of the day smelling like metal shavings and 90wt!

Thanks for the info on the Bergs, i'll check into that. Looks like im gonna have to shell out $20-30 for a star as well
Old 03-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangboy View Post
Yes, RC crawlers are dorky. The only thing worse might be guys in capri pants riding seatless bicycles (my sport of choice). This video got me into rc crawlers. It seemed like a great after ride activity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5nuJJFU6bI

Building a crawler is more than fun, it promotes a lot of creativity and problem solving! Definitely worth the money I have put into it!
wow, that's a cool video! the trials stuff is really amazing. as a mountain biker in a past life, i've always been jealous of you guys good at trialsin. i can barely bunny hop by cheating with clipless pedals, never mind a j-hop. :-(
khj94704 is offline   Reply With Quote