Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: looks like im gonna be part of the RC rock crawler's world.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #1

Smile looks like im gonna be part of the RC rock crawler's world.

ive been into rc cars for 2 years now (drifting, drag racing and race track) and now i wanna try something new. so looks like i wanna get into rock crawler's world now since ive been hearing a lot of these things and watch a lot of videos through youtube.com and it looks really fun.

so anyway, im looking into buying one in a few months. i buy a really nice chassis to start off with and something i wont regret buying it. i want something that can go through mud, water and crawling over the hardcore rocks. Mainly, i wanted a waterproof that doesnt hurt the electric motor, servo, radio and battery(all the electronic components). so what do you guys suggest?

what do you guys think of this one? http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=899 im kind of tempted to buy em and it looks really badass.
///Toddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

hey fellow Tampon!

That looks like a nice rig. I just got into it myself, and I went with the tried n true Axial AX10 ARTR (XC-1 orange rig). They seem to have the corner on aftermarket upgrades and parts are everywhere. Ike, at Charlie's Hobbies, is going to be a dealer for RC4WD, as well as Axial. So, he'll soon have all the parts, upgrades, and rigs on the shelves. He actually has a couple AX10s right now in the store. You should go over and check them out.

I found a great place to run at the east end of the Gandy Bridge, at Gandy Park. Other guys in St pete and south go to the Skyway North rest area. I went there last weekend and had a blast.

For gear, I got the Rooster ESC and 55T motor combo from Novak, and the DX3S radio. I'm also using a 2S 2500 LiPo battery (weighs 2.3oz). With that setup and battery, I get about an hour and a half of drive time.

PM me when you get up and running.
ErichF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #3

hey never knew someone in here live in tampa! anyways thanks! right now im just gonna take my time and wait for a month while searching more chassis and see what i would like to pick out before im gonna be involve.

so anyway, do you have to mod to make it waterproof or is there a kit for it?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Waterproofing isn't that hard...You generally have to take the steering servo apart and silicone the lower and upper cases. Then apply some Lucas Red n Tacky grease to the output shaft to seal it.

The Receiver can be put into a balloon, with a little silicone to seal the wire exit. Many ESCs are already water proof or at least resistant. The battery can be tricky, especially if you intend to take it off often. You can also use a balloon to secure it too.

If you have time, Ike is working on a new tube chassis tat he intends to start selling himself. I drove the #2 prototype at the Skyway last weekend. You can see pics of it HERE.

The red Ford F350 High Lift is Ike's own scaler, and the tuber in the pics is my AX10 that I converted into his tube chassis while at the site. All I had to add were 4 bolts and nuts for the shock mounts. It took me about 25 minutes to do the conversion, all on a park picnic table

See ya,
Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #5

wow, i really like the pictures. speaking of charlies hobbies, are you talking about Charlie's Discount Hobbies shop on Water Ave? i never been there but ive heard about it and im gonna check it over there. I usually go to Morris Kohl's Hobbies and buy his stuff all the time.

sounds like the waterproof is pretty easy to do.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Toddy View Post
wow, i really like the pictures. speaking of charlies hobbies, are you talking about Charlie's Discount Hobbies shop on Water Ave? i never been there but ive heard about it and im gonna check it over there. I usually go to Morris Kohl's Hobbies and buy his stuff all the time.

sounds like the waterproof is pretty easy to do.
Yeah, that's the place...he's all gung-ho about crawlers, I tell ya.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #7

if thats true, then i def should go and check it out!

by the way, thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Hey how's it going? I hate to thread jack but was wondering where those pics were taken at and also where is this rest area at I drive truck and get through that area every so often and would like to stop at that rest area if it has truck parking there. Well thanks again.
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:22 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisetrucker View Post
Hey how's it going? I hate to thread jack but was wondering where those pics were taken at and also where is this rest area at I drive truck and get through that area every so often and would like to stop at that rest area if it has truck parking there. Well thanks again.
The pics were taken at the Sunshine Skyway north end rest area and park, south of St Pete as you cross over into Bradenton on I-275. There is no tractor trailer parking, though. If you don't have a load, you could bring your tractor in there, but not with a trailer.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Ok thanks.
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote