Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to Soldering Motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New to Soldering Motors

I just got the 55T Tekin FXR combo . Well as you all know , you have to solder the wires onto the motor . I have never had a good motor with more than two tabs . Which tabs do I solder the wires to ?
Here is a pic of what I am trying to explain. The tabs closest to the brush shunts or the tabs opposite ?
Thanks,
Raz

RazBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It doesn't matter. Just solder one lead to one side and the other lead to the other side. For example, solder a lead to the tab in the top right hand corner of your picture and the other lead to the tab in the bottom right hand corner...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It doesn't matter really.....if it doesn't interfere with anything, try to solder on the tab NOT by the spring, that way you don't have to worry about any solder ever working its way into the springs.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #4

Hey RazBarLow, I gotta questoin. I just got some new integy 55T motors like yours, and I was wondering if you HAD to solder the leads on the motor? I ask because the previous motors I had, the owner too also soldered the motor wires to it. With the new integy motors, I just clamped two female spade connectors to the motor, and put banana clips on the other end. I used the same size wire, and havn't noticed a difference. Was just wondering if there was an added benefit of soldering it on, I wanted to keep my motor clean, so that why I did mine the way I did.
KorpseofDeath420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

From previous wiring projects, I have heard that you have less resistance when you solder rather than just using the spade connectors.
You probably wont notice a difference,but I have had the connectors come loose in the field and that is isn't fun.
Raz
RazBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KorpseofDeath420 View Post
Hey RazBarLow, I gotta questoin. I just got some new integy 55T motors like yours, and I was wondering if you HAD to solder the leads on the motor? I ask because the previous motors I had, the owner too also soldered the motor wires to it. With the new integy motors, I just clamped two female spade connectors to the motor, and put banana clips on the other end. I used the same size wire, and havn't noticed a difference. Was just wondering if there was an added benefit of soldering it on, I wanted to keep my motor clean, so that why I did mine the way I did.
spade connectors can come loose relativly easily compared to a solid solder joint. if your worried about keeping the tabs clean, thats why they invented solder wicks and suckers
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote