Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: PTI vs. TLT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question PTI vs. TLT

Looking to build a scale trails truck and wondering if the tlt axles are the only way to go. Or if the PTI goliath axles can provide the same scale look, function and reliability.

I would greatly appreciate any input into this.

Thanks
OldSchoolCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Oh yeah, PTI and TLT will both work. It comes down to parts availability and do you want to pay $70 for axles, or $220.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:49 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

220 for what!?!?! the axles for the goliath?
Old 10-29-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

yup, the tlt from ultimatehobbies.com is 80 bucks, and the goliath, is well..... way more than that ^^^^
Amaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Good god man. that is nuts. I just wanna build a scale trails rig not finance a companies christmas party. Well Thanks for makeing up my mind fellas. Now all I need to do is sell this damn rs4 and get myself a tlt.

Thanks again for the input
KEITH.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The PTI seems like a cool truck, but the price tag is why you don't see alot of buildups, when compared to the bargain the TLT is.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

the pti axles don't have the bearing the tlt does at the end of the housing so crap can get in, and the axles themselves are a lot smaller.
moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbuggy
the pti axles don't have the bearing the tlt does at the end of the housing so crap can get in, and the axles themselves are a lot smaller.
Wow, great pic!

I can't believe the difference in size between the the axles. With peeps breaking TLT axles so much I can't see how the PTI ones are going to hold up. Maybe there made out of a stonger material. :?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #9

that is indeed a nice pic. i didnt know the pti's were THAT sketchy.

the tlt kit is the best way to go. you get a boatload of extra hardware to help the build with. well worth the 80 bucks.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Wow, great pic!

I can't believe the difference in size between the the axles. With peeps breaking TLT axles so much I can't see how the PTI ones are going to hold up. Maybe there made out of a stonger material. :?
I don't think thats the reason TLT's break. I think people who break have really strong servos and are turning the truck while giving lots of power. The bind created by the fact the servo can throw farther than the dog bone coupling will allow, makes it snap. Seeing bender and can't remember his name (blue VW bug from the colorado winter comp. 1) who both have shaved down wheel axles, and the massive amount of steering they have, I realized that is the spot that creates the bind.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
I don't think thats the reason TLT's break. I think people who break have really strong servos and are turning the truck while giving lots of power. The bind created by the fact the servo can throw farther than the dog bone coupling will allow, makes it snap. Seeing bender and can't remember his name (blue VW bug from the colorado winter comp. 1) who both have shaved down wheel axles, and the massive amount of steering they have, I realized that is the spot that creates the bind.
i've broke a couple axles and drive cups. some i believe were from turning the knuckle too far and binding the shaft and cup, but i snapped an axleshaft doing wheelies on carpet. ;) but those were the old-style thinner axle shafts.

figured i'd mention that the last tlt kit i bought from ultimate had the updated thicker axle shafts and shaved cups, but also had updated axle cases with extra material molded into the front section to prevent the knuckle from turning too far.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:14 PM   #12
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
I agree, grinding the outer cups back is a must. I snapped the ends off a couple inner stafts, running bearings. Sparky kept breaking the outer cups, with bushings. So, if you don't grind the cups back, there's definitely some bindage going on.

Here's a link to a couple pics comparing my front outer cups to the rears.
TLT Rockbuster, TLT Max Climber

That's cool to hear your last TLT kit came with the upgraded shafts hoopty.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Hey guys thanks alot, this info is realy going to help with my forthcomeing project. I hope to be starting it soon and I'm sure I'll have more questions on some of the little stuff.

One question to start with is, do the pajero rear axle and the tlt axle have the same internal ratio? I'm looking at the passebility of useing a jero rear end for a more scale touch to avoid unrealistic stearing lockout rods.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:19 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

If I remember correctly, the pajero has a 2.77:1 internal and the TLT has a 3:1. The axles are also a different width. Tamiya semi's use common parts to the TLT.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:02 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbuggy
That's a ton of grease.
Zombie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 03:00 AM   #16
sim
Quarry Creeper

The TLT ratio is 2.66:1
(40T/15T).
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie76
That's a ton of grease.
that aint a 4th of what i pack in there...
Old 10-31-2005, 04:58 PM   #18

The ENTIRE kit is $220. How can you say axles are 220? They just dont sell a complete kit for just axles.

Jeesh, you guys are spreading misinformation like crazy!

And my Goliath has many hours of offroad time and the axles are in perfect shape. Ive given it some pretty harsh spills with no evidence of wear. And if they do break, they are available seperatly for like 20 bucks, so whats the big deal?
aircooled rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:02 PM   #19

They meant most people will only use the axles. Look at most of the TLT build up, about the only thing the use out of the kit are the axles.
Jrdrag3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:51 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrdrag3991
They meant most people will only use the axles. Look at most of the TLT build up, about the only thing the use out of the kit are the axles.
Or any other truck for that matter. And the PTI is not RTR. The TLT is not RTR. For $220 you will have a roller TLT totally ready to rock crawl, probably with electronics too where as with a PTI, you're at $220 and still have a ways to go. The PTI could probably be a good truck, for those with the money for it.