Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: new

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #1

Default new

first of all I would like to say this is a great, and informative site! I am obviously new to rock crawling but not to rc. Im sure you guys have seen too many of these threads already so thanks for taking the time to read this. I visited my local hobby shop, and I had my first experience with a losi mini crawler(wow). Now when I first heard of rc rock crawling I have to admit I had no idea what all the fuss was about, but now I understand. I had a great time with that little crawler and never knew going so slow could be that fun I decided to research a couple crawlers; including the losi comp crawler, kyosho rock force and axial kit. I would prefer building a crawler opposed to an rtr, but I dont want to be stuck with a kit that I would have to use top of the line electronics and motors for it to be atleast somewhat capable. That's why im leaning towards a worm gear setup so that I can throw in some electronics and motors that I have just laying around. Was I miss informed? what would you reccomend?
renzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
RCC Addict

If you get the losi I've heard it's best to break it down a reassymble it right, I bet there's some info in the losi comp crawler section. I've had a losi mini but it wasent for me I like my 2.2 and scale rigs more. I started with an ax10 kit a cheep tq3 rx/tx a 27t motor and 30$esc and 15$ servo I mean that'll get you crawling but you'll want to upgrade eventuly and you'll wonder how you ever went without good electronics.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Worm drives are very inefficient so they take alot of power and make alot of heat. They really need good electronics/motors. If ya have some nice brushless setup laying around, go for it. A cheap brushed motor will run an axial/berg just fine.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #4

It's just that my lhs has the kyosho rock force for 269, so I thought that would be a great deal. But what you are saying is the worm gears require good electronics? so I couldn't just drop in the ones I already have that aren't specially for crawling?
renzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I mean you Cana always use whatever you want, it may not work as well but you don't have to buy a truck then upgrade it all at once just go peice by peice it'll get there eventuly.
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote