Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to the Axial Scorpion, complaints

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #1

Default New to the Axial Scorpion, complaints

Just picked up the AX10 Scorpion for my son and I must say I'm somewhat disappointed at what I got for the $400 spent. This thing is all cheap plastic, not to mention "Ready To Crawl" means you also have to spend a $100+ additional for a garbage garage made looking battery and charger. That's not "Ready To Crawl" when it doesn't include everything needed in the box, it shouldn't be marketed as such when it is not ready to crawl.

For the $400 total I actually spent to have this ready to crawl I would have also expected a user manual. There was a nice looking book in the box, but it had zero information within it for a first time user, its only a parts manual with no clear indication of what actual parts you have. There's a bag filled with plastic additional parts and nothing in this manual even explaining what these are?

Was I able to figure out I needed a battery and charger, how to get the thing actually working, of course, a manual user for $400 should have come without saying though.

I guess here is what I am in hope of someone at Axial actually reading.

Number 1, don't market your product as "Ready to crawl" if you aren't including everything to make it actually ready to crawl, IE a battery and charger. If you can't open the box and crawl it is not ready to crawl, its false advertisement and when a competitor comes out with a product truly "ready to crawl" out of the box by just including a battery and charger your going to get called on your false advertisement.

Number 2, the "stage 2 kit" available from CKRC. Why isn't this already just a standard out of the box improvement on your product?

Number 3, the split battery pack, again, cheers to CKRC for offering a common sense improvement to this design flaw of placing the heaviest component highest on the chassis. Why isn't it just like this out of the box?

Number 4, the cheap 27MHz controller, why? Seems the standard with everyone is 2.4GHz. The frequency you make the thing operate at is not costing you any additional money to produce, why would you not just make the thing out of the box on the well accepted 2.4GHz frequency?

Just a first time user impression trying to give you some feed back. The product is great, but the cheap plastic build leaves me feeling like this thing is equal to something I'd of bought at Walmart for $49, not worthy of the spent $400.

For the $400 I spent on this thing I would have expected the above mentioned to of been standard, and the suspension arms to of been made out of aluminum as well as the steering components. Drive gears off the motor should also be out of the box metal, not plastic. For the high price tag your so proud of on this product more should be received before you just call it ready to crawl.
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Number 2, the "stage 2 kit" available from CKRC. Why isn't this already just a standard out of the box improvement on your product?
Not an improvement in my opinion, and actually a hindrance. Bad link geometry.

Quote:
Number 3, the split battery pack, again, cheers to CKRC for offering a common sense improvement
Not the first to bring those to the market. Heck I had a split pack on mine before TCS came out with their plates.

Quote:
and the suspension arms to of been made out of aluminum as well as the steering components. Drive gears off the motor should also be out of the box metal, not plastic.
I've taken the metal parts off my truck and replaced them with plastic, but of course that's just me. Plastic is much slipperier than aluminum. Though I do have aluminum steering links...

Hey, you can't please all the people all the time. A little more research on your part and you might have bought something else and been a more happy crawler dad?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

So you're mad because you didn't research the product you where buying??
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

wow you complain way to much, you should have read about things first, find out which one is best suited for you. The worst thing you can do is come on here and bitch about a stand up company. You have to realize that there target for this product is to get people going, get them into the hobby. And if you think $400 is a lot to spend on a comp rig, try about $900 plus like 95% of the people on here have done. And if you think I am being harsh, well good because I am...
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Hateraide

people are always expecting more for the price, its ready to crawl which doesnt mean its ready to take out of box and start driving yes it means you have to buy some more stuff but thats the whole thing about the hobby is buy and selling and making parts to enjoy it even more
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Exclamation

It is completly normal that you have to bay bat. and chager for RTR (RTC)models, so if you just did a "little" research you would know
Rc Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I dont think I have ever bought an RTR (in this case RTC) car that I was completely happy with outa the box.

Its the nature of the hobby...buy, buy upgrades, install, play and then break and rebuild...get used to it.

shoulda looked at the damn thing before you layed down the greens.
slimeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Maybe Axial should have supplied a charged up battery as well ? dickhead
RiZZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just picked up the AX10 Scorpion for my son and I must say I'm somewhat disappointed at what I got for the $400 spent. This thing is all cheap plastic, not to mention "Ready To Crawl" means you also have to spend a $100+ additional for a garbage garage made looking battery and charger. That's not "Ready To Crawl" when it doesn't include everything needed in the box, it shouldn't be marketed as such when it is not ready to crawl.

-traxxas and associated dont give you batteries or chargers with their RTR vehicles, you gonna go yell at them too? batteries and chargers aren't included with 90% of the RTR vehicles out there, get used to it.

For the $400 total I actually spent to have this ready to crawl I would have also expected a user manual. There was a nice looking book in the box, but it had zero information within it for a first time user, its only a parts manual with no clear indication of what actual parts you have. There's a bag filled with plastic additional parts and nothing in this manual even explaining what these are?

-this i understand,i guess for someone totally new to it that has no knowledge of what it is a manual would be helpful.

Was I able to figure out I needed a battery and charger, how to get the thing actually working, of course, a manual user for $400 should have come without saying though.

I guess here is what I am in hope of someone at Axial actually reading.

Number 1, don't market your product as "Ready to crawl" if you aren't including everything to make it actually ready to crawl, IE a battery and charger. If you can't open the box and crawl it is not ready to crawl, its false advertisement and when a competitor comes out with a product truly "ready to crawl" out of the box by just including a battery and charger your going to get called on your false advertisement.

-again, go ahead and sue traxxas, associated, axial, hpi and losi... they're all lying sons of bitches.

-and why don't other vehicles already come with all the available aftermarket parts already one them? oh yeah BECAUSE THEY'RE AFTERMARKET UPGRADES! my traxxas slash didn't come out of the box with RPM arms, knuckles and caster blocks on it, i guess i should be pissed off too huh?

Number 3, the split battery pack, again, cheers to CKRC for offering a common sense improvement to this design flaw of placing the heaviest component highest on the chassis. Why isn't it just like this out of the box?

-again, aftermarket upgrades...

Number 4, the cheap 27MHz controller, why? Seems the standard with everyone is 2.4GHz. The frequency you make the thing operate at is not costing you any additional money to produce, why would you not just make the thing out of the box on the well accepted 2.4GHz frequency?

-because then it would have cost $500 and you'd bitch even more...

Just a first time user impression trying to give you some feed back. The product is great, but the cheap plastic build leaves me feeling like this thing is equal to something I'd of bought at Walmart for $49, not worthy of the spent $400.

-rock crawling is not cheap, never has been... thousands of us on here have $1000+ into just one competition rig, axial did this to keep the cost down and make it more entry level friendly. yes $400 is entry level, if thats hard to swallow then maybe rock crawling isn't for you.

For the $400 I spent on this thing I would have expected the above mentioned to of been standard, and the suspension arms to of been made out of aluminum as well as the steering components. Drive gears off the motor should also be out of the box metal, not plastic. For the high price tag your so proud of on this product more should be received before you just call it ready to crawl.

-you mean the spur gear on the tranny? take a few min, look around here on RCC and count the number of guys running metal spur gears..
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

$400-whoa.... is that what they are going for? must be from a LHS

the CKRC stage 2 is a joke-sorry

RTR-that is basically telling you it is chit. Now you know.

Im on both sides, but leaning towards "you should've done some research".

$400
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:

-again, go ahead and sue traxxas, associated, axial, hpi and losi... they're all lying sons of bitches
doh:-x

I knew I had a case when my supposed "RTR" Revo didnt come with a full tank of nitro!!
Old 07-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimeball View Post
doh:-x

I knew I had a case when my supposed "RTR" Revo didnt come with a full tank of nitro!!

hahahahaa
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Shoot now I feel totally scammed. I have bought more than 30 competition kits in my life and none of them even had an engine inside. Not to mention tools, glues, silicones tada tada. And the worst part is that all of them were advertised as champion or championship editions and I have only won one. Damn why didn't they include Hars' hands with the kits??? SOBs.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
Shoot now I feel totally scammed.... And the worst part is that all of them were advertised as champion or championship editions and I have only won one....
you clearly got scammed, my last championship edition buggy had Atsushi Hara crammed in there. I just had to feed him and he was good to go.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Dont be too hard on the guy, but from the sounds of it he should be more mad at the lhs for getting a premium for a truck that sells for $250 and probably getting the same premium for the batteries and charger. If I was brand spankin new to the sport and got a wallet reaming like that for what the rtr/rtc is Id be upset too. Prolly could have been avoided by some research yes, but how many of us have made an impulse buy and not did our homework? I can almost quarantee all of us.
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

ya...but most of us knows whose fault it is...
Old 07-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslowguy View Post
but how many of us have made an impulse buy and not did our homework? I can almost quarantee all of us.
I haven't.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Usually my impulse buys are stuff that are brand new to the market and I am well aware that I will face infancy probs. It is not like everybody finds 400$ on the sidewalk and decides to spend it in something that is in the market for 2 years and then complain about it without even breaking something of having a part go bad from the factory...

Now I have said this before, it is not whining when something breaks out of the box and you complain about it. But what this guy did for a first post is exactly what made Kamikaze start a whole thread about.

Come on, if you spend 400$ on something that usually goes for 300$ (battery and cheap rtr charger included) then the problem lies with the buyer not the product.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupers View Post
I haven't.
And we all wish we could be as perfect as you.:-P
Old 07-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Valid point madforce, maybe the guy has more $ laying around than us? I guess I just wanted to stick up for the new guy, no matter how misguided:-P

Just imagine this. From the sounds of it hes completely new. Where do you go to learn first hand about the hobby? The hobby store. If you know less than 0 about the sport you will more than likely believe 99% of what the guy at the lhs says, I mean he deals with this for a living. Buy what the guy suggests and go home thinkin you are ready to rock. The thing is hances are the person who sold him all this crap was prolly some know-it-all punk and was just feeding him some bs to make a good sale. This is more than likely the senario that played out. Thats how most people get into the sport is to just go to the lhs and see whats up? Again. could have been avoided by pressing the search button, but hey everyone makes mistakes. Im just tryin to defend the guy a little.

Last edited by theslowguy; 07-10-2009 at 05:08 PM.