Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Berg Or Losi?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Berg Or Losi?

Hey guys I am a extreme compentition 3d rc heli pilot and am looking to do a little compentition rock crawling its either a berg with duel esc ? " i can use my 9303 heli radio" or a losi? And I know since I am in the berg section posting this what you are going to say but being new to this I dont want to be stuck with a peice of junk So some info on the best electronics,rims,chasis's or kind of steer me in the right direction would be helpful this would be my first crawler bulid but I am very mech incline" union sheet metal worker" so I dont think I will have a problem? Cause I herd bergs are hard to build. thank you any info would be helfull.
J-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Both are proven winners. You really cant go wrong with either one, but after owning both Id say Berg. It just fits me better, thats not to say its "better" just better for me
atekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Berg
flip2spin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Man.....tough to say. I had a berg for a full season and beat the tar out of it. I ran dual esc's, hand wound 35T's and Futaba 4PK. I loved it, it was durable and capable as can be. I only ever broke a front 3rd gear, but that was because a bearing went out. Now I run a Losi with Eritex MOA installed, same electronics. I find the rig nice, but just different than the Berg. It is a little more of a finesse vehicle. Once I get V3 CVD's, I will have not fear of breaking it. But, it does have a lot more motor stall. With the Berg, if I got wedged, I could just muscle through an area. With the Losi, that is not possible. I think I would go back to a Berg and try to get it in the 5 1/2 lb range. Right now my Losi is 5 lbs RTR and it seems a hair too light.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

It all depends on your style, I just finished building a berg for a friend and tuned ti a bit. I own an MOA Losi and they are night and day. The Losi is more of a strategic rig than the burg. That being said it goes to practice, right now there are lines I can do with the Losi I can't do yet with the burg. Also its not my burg t tune to me so its all about you and your style. You do have to get used to using the dig more on the Losi.
Just my 2 cents.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I currently have a Losi in shafty form and it's the best crawler I've driven. Having said that, I have never driven a Berg and I'm thinking about building one very soon.
The Losi is a great car right out of the box and you can make it perform with just a few minor tweaks. The only thing stopping me form making a Berg is I'm not really good at making my own parts so it scraes me a little bit to have something break on it and where do I go for help. I've seen Bergs do some crazy climbs that no other car can but a Losi wins most of our comps because of the driver. Either one is good to me.
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

BERG
cruz*hotboxrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Berg, If you want something to start maybe try the ckrc competition package roller and just use your own electronics, 35t motors and most people i see are running with either dual fxr's or mamba max's. OR you could use 1 esc and a punk dig switch, those are nice. Currently im running 1 esc and switches until i have enough money to buy another one. Or most people are running the beetle juice chassis or the rockshow. They are proven also. But YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH A CDW CHASSIS tho. Dna wheels, Vanquish, or Mayhem are all good wheels too. Good quality and support.

Tyler
Tyler Kadlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paystin View Post
The Losi is a great car right out of the box and you can make it perform with just a few minor tweaks. The only thing stopping me form making a Berg is I'm not really good at making my own parts so it scraes me a little bit to have something break on it and where do I go for help. I've seen Bergs do some crazy climbs that no other car can but a Losi wins most of our comps because of the driver. Either one is good to me.
Real crawlers are built not bought
flip2spin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip2spin23 View Post
slowngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I also have both the moa losi works nice rear motor has way to much clod stall as for the berg very nice choice.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
20K Club

What won Worlds again? oh yeah.........BERG!

Here is my suggested setup to you:
Berg Axles
Vanquish or T1E chassis depending if you want to run a body or bodiless
Vanquish DH fronts and SLW rears
Holmes 35t Handwounds
Tekin FXR x 2
Futaba S9157 Servo
3s Lipo
Hot Bodies Rovers
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I have both too and though the Losi is very capable it's still a little fragile and the worm-gear friction/motor ESC heat thing is an issue for me. I am always afraid that if it gets bound-up I'm gonna fry a motor/ESC. It is an awesome performing rig with the right driving style though, no question.
That said I MUCH prefer my Berg/Skeeter. It's flat way more fun to drive from my point of view. I use 2 ESCs and a stick and it's just sick what you can do with independent f/r throttles, really a blast to drive. A comp-style Berg can be quite a project to put together depending on how good you are a fabbing & adapting stuff... also how "perfect" you want the end result to look. ...and then cost-wise!!! a fully tricked-out Berg is serious money, maybe not by heli standards but with Super 300s & RC Axlemaster rears, VP wheels etc... $1500 is easy to spend.... a Losi with a few mods would be a third of that.
so.... IMHO I'd rather have a Berg (I'm building a second...) but a Losi will get you on the rocks way faster and until you get to the bleeding edge probably perform as well overall (but differently).

I used and am very happy with:
Berg Axles
Fubar Skeeter chassis
Losi 4" shocks
JR 8711 servo
Tekin FXR ESC 2X
Futaba 7C stick radio
Super 300 CVD/RC Axle Master solid rears
Fubar lockouts
VP & Mayhem Eng wheels
Panther Leopard tires (and HB Rovers etc...)
Nova's Ark Dual Stage foam
kineteks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Welcome
By far the MOA motor over axle berg will do ya more eye popping climbs than a shafty and you can add front rear dig easily. Sounds like you are mechanically inclined so building one should not be a problem with this forum

Do your research on what drivetrain is the strongest ei Berg vs Bully. I love my berg, it's insane and so much more fun than a shafty

recommendations
airtronics servo or the JR. I have 3 hitec's but there are noisy and the Airtronics is 400+oz of torque
cannot comment much on FXr's, heard good and looking to buy but my Mamba monster that I use on other cars does a perfect job.
Get the best battery, Thunder Power or Neu and go 3s lipo
so many motors to choose from so not sure .
wheels HPI $6.00 a pair, unless you have loads of dough find some beadlocks.

Have FUN
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Default ?

LOSI
rcprojectz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
What won Worlds again? oh yeah.........BERG!

Here is my suggested setup to you:
Berg Axles
Vanquish or T1E chassis depending if you want to run a body or bodiless
Vanquish DH fronts and SLW rears
Holmes 35t Handwounds
Tekin FXR x 2
Futaba S9157 Servo
3s Lipo
Hot Bodies Rovers

Good advice X2
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I have ax10s built to the hilt and I have a Losi. In my opinion they are all good trucks. I am now too in the process of Buildin my First 2.2 MOA truck. I picked up the New V2 Berg axles. I am very excited to get it going!!! I am sure i wont be dissapointed. Which ever way you go this forum will help out in so many ways as it has me ALOT!!!

Good Luck!!!
dirttrackdemon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip2spin23 View Post
you got that right
cruz*hotboxrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

well u guys made up my mind I want a berg thanks im sure Ill be posting more for help

thanks Jay
J-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz*hotboxrc View Post
you got that right
x2 !

mind boggles me that hobby shops dont sell much of the build kits , guess there is a lot of lazy or challenged people out there. how do you learn if you dont build it
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote