Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: axle wrap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

Default axle wrap

I just picked up a clod based crawler. it has a 4 link but also has serious axle wrap. is this normal?
Cloddoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

if your useing axle wrap in the right terms (pinion points up under throttle) you need to check and replace the link ends, a link suspention shouldnt have axle wrap at all
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:11 PM   #3

yes the pinion location moves. I believe the upper links are mounted to hi. I will try to post a pic. My shocks may be to long also.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
RCC Addict

woah yeah, those upper links are WAAAAY to high.

Can you get them level with the ground? That usually works best on most trucks.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

x 2 WAY to high, they should be mounted down by the top of the lower triangle wholes in the side plates, or somewhere in that area
Old 10-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #6

I am a newbie, so don;t flame. what is the best way to fix this. shorter shocks?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #7

Thanks I will lower the upper link mounts. So you think I need shorter shocks also or will just repositioning the upper mounts fix the prob?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

lower your upper link mounting location. the upper links should run paralell to the ground roughly, give or take a few degrees
Old 10-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #9

hey guys, thanks for the help. - the guy that had it before me took out the foam from the tires. do I need ant foam?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloddoctor View Post
Thanks I will lower the upper link mounts. So you think I need shorter shocks also or will just repositioning the upper mounts fix the prob?
Moving the chassis end of the upper links will fix the "axle wrap" problem. As for the shock lenght, they're long, but they should work ok.

How much flex does it have? If it's too flexible or too tall, shorter shocks could help with both.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB_117 View Post
How much flex does it have? If it's too flexible or too tall, shorter shocks could help with both.
It has good flex, so I will try to reposition the links asap. It actually crawls fairly well I just thought the axle wrap was extreme. Like I said I am a newb so does this thing have any potential? I kinda bought it as an impulse buy.

obviously the guy that had it before me set the links up wrong. He also had spacers on the shocks. Are these normal? sorry for the basic questions but ya gotta learn somehow. I want to have a decent crawler, just something to play around in the back yard with (for now).

Last edited by Cloddoctor; 10-31-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
hey guys, thanks for the help. - the guy that had it before me took out the foam from the tires. do I need ant foam?
Foam in the tire works better than none, drill a breather hole in the wheel so the tires can still flatten out and conform to the rocks like an aired down 1:1 tire does.

With no foam the tires usually won't have enough support, and without an air hole, they're usually too bouncy.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
It has good flex, so I will try to reposition the links asap. It actually crawls fairly well I just thought the axle wrap was extreme. Like I said I am a newb so does this thing have any potential? I kinda bought it as an impulse buy.
Everything has potential, you don't want too much flex, usually no more than putting one tire up on a soda can without lifting a tire works good. Too much and it will get all twisted up in the rocks.

What are your plans for it?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:41 PM   #14

My friend got me into this and I will prob go crazy with it now but I just want hang with his crawler when we go. I just want a good reliable machine. I already broke a wire off of the motor cause of the axle wrap. So I gotta fix all the little bugs. If anyone has any suggestions how to make it more reliable I am open to all kinds of ideas. Also the tires conform well and do have breather holes. I will try some foam and see which works better. I got the rig for $150, so I hope I didn't get taken.