Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: motor turns ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default motor turns ???

i have a superclass crawler moa my motors say 540 but i dont know how many turns or how to check . i know 45t and 55t are good crawling turns but what is a 21t motor like crawling please someone explain the turn and ( 540 ) part of motors as best you can. thanks
spgrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i would like to know the same thing
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If the motor is open endbell (removable) you can remove the 2 endbell screws and pull the armature out of the can to count the wind. Might as well clean it while it's out too Be sure to pay close attention for any internal shims that may be installed between the motor shaft and the can. If the can has no timing marks on it, take a hobby knife and mark the can and endbell together so you know where to remount everything when you're done.

If it's a sealed endbell like a Traxxas Titan, you can still usually count the wind through the vents in the can, it's just a bit more difficult. Most inexpensive sealed motors are 27 turn (also known as Stock).

The number designations are derived from a couple different technical aspects.

The turn refers to the number of times that the wire is wound around the armature. There are also x1, x2 and x3 winds...most crawler motors are single (55x1) simply because there isn't enough room in the can to wind a 55 turn twice. The wire would have to be such a small guage that it would become fragile under load.

Low wind racing motors are more likely to have double and triple winds...like a 12x2 for example.

The higher the turn or wind, the more torque the motor will produce, while the lower winds will give you more speed.

Higher winds also increase run time. 35 and 45 turn are more common now, as drivers are looking to pick up wheel speed to clear gaps. A 21 is a bit low for crawling, but in a scale rig it wouldn't be bad.

The can size has some variants depending on application and manufacturer, but for typical car and truck motors, the 540 dimension is derived from the overall length...endbell to end of can.

Here's some good reading as well:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...711#post919711**

Caring for your new Brushed motor

Last edited by CreepyCrawl; 12-11-2009 at 10:37 PM.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

sorry for the stupid questions, but i've never had a decent rc car. all mine are the cheesy walmart stuff. i have alot of knowledge of actual full size off road/rockcrawling and general automotive knowledge.

so the higher turns the motor has the more torque and the longer the run time? so a 55t motor will put out more torque than a 35t motor?

if this is so, why would people not run 55t or higher in a crawler? i would think that a 100t motor would be highly sought after.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The higher turns are also slower. 100t motor might have a top speed of 1mph, which in modern day rc crawling thats way too slow. 35t-45t, or a Holmes Hobbies puller motor are what are sought after for brushed motors noadays. Lots of tourqe with the speed when you need it!
LSXEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Suck it up!

Look at it this way...

Low wind count = speed <-I-----------------I---------------I->High wind count = torque

The further you go towards one, the less you have of the other. 35t's are a very good compromise between the two, and you can compensate for its lack of torque by gearing down and upping the battery voltage.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

thanks guys, it makes more sense now.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

100t will be WAY to low.. most people run 45t-55ts in their crawlers.. if its geared REAL high some people might even get a 65t+
traxxas4fun is offline   Reply With Quote