Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Still confused about electronic stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #1

Default Still confused about electronic stuff

I did a search and I am sorry to say this electroinc stuff is still confusing to me. Sorry for the basic questions, I am still learning.

I ordered an Axial SCX 10TR, an Onyx 210 charger and a Venom 6 cell 7.2v 4200mAh, NiMH battery.

BATTERIES: Then I read that a lot of guys prefer Lipo batterys, what is the basic difference between NiMH and Lipo? What kind of run time will I get with my Venom? Can I switch to a Lipo later? I don't think the Onyx 210 charger can charge Lipos.

MOTORS: The stock motor is a 27T Brushed. What happens if I upgrade to a 45T or a 55T? Can I use a brushless motor in this rig or will I need to change out the ESC or anything else?

Please answer my questions like I was in the 4th grade for the second time. Thanks in advance!
TCBronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBronson View Post
I did a search and I am sorry to say this electroinc stuff is still confusing to me. Sorry for the basic questions, I am still learning.

I ordered an Axial SCX 10TR, an Onyx 210 charger and a Venom 6 cell 7.2v 4200mAh, NiMH battery.

BATTERIES: Then I read that a lot of guys prefer Lipo batterys, what is the basic difference between NiMH and Lipo? What kind of run time will I get with my Venom? Can I switch to a Lipo later? I don't think the Onyx 210 charger can charge Lipos.

MOTORS: The stock motor is a 27T Brushed. What happens if I upgrade to a 45T or a 55T? Can I use a brushless motor in this rig or will I need to change out the ESC or anything else?

Please answer my questions like I was in the 4th grade for the second time. Thanks in advance!
basically with your stock speed control you are limited to nimh batts, and brushed motors with turns equal to or higher than stock. the stock speed control doesn't have a lipo low voltage cut off. lipo's can't be discharged below about 3 volts without possibly damaging them. but they are much lighter than nimh packs and carry higher voltage through the discharge cycle. your venom pack will give decent run time and i would stick with your current set up until you can afford a brushless sysyem with lipos. if you want to upgrade motors for now i would recommend either a 35 or 45 turn motor. hope this helps
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I may be wrong as I'm also a noob, but if I have been reading posts correctly:

Lipo batteries are desirable because they can be made lighter and smaller than the NIMH while delivering power quicker. They must be protected from over discharge. A 4200 MAH NIMH battery should give a long run time. My buddy told me he gets 30-45 minutes out of 3300 MAH 6 cell packs on his AX10 he's sending me.

The higher the winding on the motors the slower they turn with more torque. The Axial AX10 RTC comes with a 55T motor. I'd guess if you want to slow down the rig and give it more controllable low end then you could swap in a higher wind count motor. I haven't read enough to know about the brushed/brushless compatability.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

id say a 35t motor its great for the scx-10
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Hows this

Quote:
I did a search and I am sorry to say this electroinc stuff is still confusing to me. Sorry for the basic questions, I am still learning. Don't worry about it, search, read, ask...we were all there at one time or another.

BATTERIES:

QUESTION #1 Then I read that a lot of guys prefer Lipo batterys, what is the basic difference between NiMH and Lipo? For general bashing NiMH are great, you can run them till they die, charge them then next day. I don't like charging NiMH when they are warm. Charge your 4200mAh at 4A or less. Lipos need more care, special chargers and ESC's with lipo cut off (they can't be discharged more than 3V per cell or they will die)..(lots of debate on that). Lipos are lighter and are prefered when your running comps. Lipos also don't like getting wet.

QUESTION #2 What kind of run time will I get with my Venom? Depends on how you run it and what motor your running. I have a 35T motor with 2800mAh and we bash (its a scaler) for 3 hours one time and was still going strong.

QUESTION #3 Can I switch to a Lipo later? Yes, you just need new ESC, charger and of course Lipo batteries.

QUESTION #4 I don't think the Onyx 210 charger can charge Lipos. Nope, sure can't.

MOTORS:

QUESTION #5 The stock motor is a 27T Brushed. What happens if I upgrade to a 45T or a 55T? You will have more run time, more torque and less speed. The higher the wire turns the slower the motor will go, the lower the turn number the faster the motor will go.

QUESTION #6 Can I use a brushless motor in this rig or will I need to change out the ESC or anything else? You can run brushless in the SCX, but you will need to change ESC's. A brushless motor has 3 wires going to the brushless motor, the cool thing about brushless (among other things) is once installed, if you have the motor running backward, just change two of the wires around.

Please answer my questions like I was in the 4th grade for the second time. Thanks in advance! Hows that...more confusing??

Last edited by squatch71; 01-03-2010 at 07:11 PM.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
Hows this
Thank you TCBronson for asking the questions that I am sure so many of us newbies have been asking ourselves. And thank you to squatch71 for answering these questions. I keep feeling like the more I am learning about this, the more questions I have. Its great to have a place to ask them!
FlatTire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

no problem...this is the newbie section...ask away...but all we ask is please try the search function...it gets lonley...

I still ask questions...
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #8

Just three more questions about motors:

1. Whats the benefit of a brushless motor over a brushed?

2. Can you use either Lipo or NiMH batteries with brushless?

3. If I go with a brushless motor, how do I know what ESC to get?

Thanks to all that replied, I appreciate your patience and now I have a much better understanding of the basics.

Last edited by TCBronson; 01-03-2010 at 08:29 PM.
TCBronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Just three more questions about motors:

1. Whats the benefit of a brushless motor over a brushed?
Brushless motors are virtually maintnance free. You install them, run them, and you dont have to clean them out, or cut the commutator or install new brushes. Brushless motors supposdly ARENT waterproof, but i run my vxl brushless motor in the snow and its fine. i just have to lube the bearings Brushed motors ARE waterproof, once you get done running them, spray motor cleaner in them and lube the bearings

2. Can you use either Lipo or NiMH batteries with brushless?
Yes, in my scaler, i run brushed and nimh because its waterproof.

if you get brushless, you will probably end up with this setup - http://www.teamnovak.com/products/brushless/goat3s_ballistic/index.html
or
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/brushless/goat3s_ballistic/index.html
if you do buy a brushless CRAWLER motor seperate, a castle creations sidewinder/mambamax/mamba max pro esc will work fine.

Thanks to all that replied, I appreciate your patience and now I have a much better understanding of the basics.
here you go
traxxas4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

If I may...

Quote:
2. Can you use either Lipo or NiMH batteries with brushless? Yes, motors don't care what kind of batteries power them...just as though they get powered...have to watch if your esc can handle the motor...but for crawling (brushed - from 60T {way slow} to 35T~Brushless 18.5 to 22T) shouldn't be a problem. Those are good brushless..for brushed either a novak crawler combo (can use 2S lipo) or a FXR combo (think you can go 3S, but have to search that)

I run a Mamba Max, can run either brushed or brushless (not really well for crawling - brushless that is) and up to 3S lipo and I think 10 cell NiMh. With the new program (you hook it to a computer and adjust the perameters) it has really good drag break --oh the Sidewider is a good esc for crawling as well, also by Castle Creations. Holms hobbies has a new ESC that can go 6S lipo...if money is no object...I would go that route.

I only noted I had a 35T with 2800mAh, didn't note that it was a lipo.

Last edited by squatch71; 01-04-2010 at 10:00 PM.