Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Parallel or Series MOA Wiring?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Parallel or Series MOA Wiring?

I've seen & heard it somewhere that I should rewire my MOA with parallel wiring.

Do you all mean from the ESC, + & - wires go to the rear motor +ve & - posts AND THEN FROM this rear motor, +ve & - wire go direct to the FRONT MOTOR - & +ve (need to do opposite rite)...

is that correct?

For now, the stock wiring is from ESC, two sets of +ve & - wires, red & black go direct to front and rear motor. is this not ok?

Why?

So far if u ask, i noticed when climbing esp, the rear stops and the front keep crawling(nope, i dont have front dig)... and sometimes, if the front already reach the top, the front motor stops and the rear just keep turning.... is this what u all call "STALL"?

if so, what the parallel do then? avoid this "STALL" thing?
I'm so newbie... pls explain.. thanks.
JonehRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

Buy another ESC so you have 2 ESC's and make it easy! Or just buy a Punk RC dig unit and you will be set up right daddy-0! You can pick up a Punk unit used for about $50 in the FS forum
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
Who's your Daddy-0!

Here this should help if you don't want the other options....The top pict is Parallel, the bottom is series.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Buy another ESC so you have 2 ESC's and make it easy! Or just buy a Punk RC dig unit and you will be set up right daddy-0! You can pick up a Punk unit used for about $50 in the FS forum
Thanks tattookenny for replying,
interesting... will a normal 3ch radio like mine the ko propo helios be able to use the 2 ESC setup? I heard the punkrc for dig... but i dont think my current can use it... [this actually for dig question :-P ]

and if the 2 esc, does it have to be of the same brand/type or can it be mixed of other brands? Wiring diagram?

Quote:
Here this should help if you don't want the other options....The top pict is Parallel, the bottom is series.
the top pic is parallel?
that's what my current ESC Set up. hmmmm.... but how come it still can stall? I thought with the above parallel wiring, the power will be the same to front and rear... but it seems it goes to the less load.. which we want to avoid right. correct me if im wrong
Old 01-15-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Default .

Here this might help dude 2 ESC wiring Name:  2ESC Wiring set up.jpg
Views: 3403
Size:  67.3 KB Name:  OCMDig.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  32.7 KB Good luck Bud
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:33 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxtonSlaughter View Post
Here this might help dude 2 ESC wiring Attachment 123478 Attachment 123479 Good luck Bud
awesome. thanks for diagram...

from the top pic.. i can see that 2 ESC can be controlled with normal 3ch radio like mine... but i guess must be with the same ESC type/brand so not to mess with the electrical stuff setting.
ok got it.

the bottom pic is for setting the front & rear dig right. ok got it.

now its a matter of heating the solder gun and finger crossed everything works as they meant to be

Thanks Saxton
Old 01-15-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Your very welcome bud Good luck
SaxtonSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
Who's your Daddy-0!

Or just buy a Punk dig and make it easy for your self like I said. You will only need 1 ESC and you will have front and rear dig!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Or just buy a Punk dig and make it easy for your self like I said. You will only need 1 ESC and you will have front and rear dig!
thanks tattoo...
maybe u missed this... but i never asked for DIG setup

moreover, my radio, ko propo helios dont have this 3 position 3channel.. so punkrc dig is no use to me... not yet at least till i change to dx3r.

im still curious with the parallel n series wiring... the stall thing... maybe just live with it...MOA
Old 01-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Wow, anyone thought of making this one a sticky? This is pretty much a down-and-dirty on newby MOA wiring.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Default Novak

I hear Novak has a new ESC coming out that runs two motors and has built in DIG. I think it's like 160$. Sounds pretty sweet though.
mpmackenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

sorry if this is a newb question but isnt the parralel wiring mod a cheap version of the dig? couldnt really figure out if it was or not by what was stated in this thread...
rccherocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccherocon View Post
sorry if this is a newb question but isnt the parralel wiring mod a cheap version of the dig? couldnt really figure out if it was or not by what was stated in this thread...
hi there rccherocon,

hmm from my understanding.. the parallel wiring is nothing to do with the dig.. at least to the term of "dig" itself.

but from what i gathered reading from this awesome forum, all MOA crawlers with the single esc just could not escape from the "motor stall" thing.. especially to the rear motor. no matter what or how u wired it.

there's remedy.. like the different pinion between front and rear motor - which i have not tested yet ... but read somewhere in the forum. the stalling of the motor, or how i understood it, the motor stop from moving, can be an advantage when climbing steep trail.. the rear motor just STOP moving or stop turning while only the front motor keep turning, trying to get a grip.. yep.. this moment of time i did see it live while i tried to climb a 60 degree plywood set up at home. in this case, no dig is needed.. it just happen. the rear motor just stop. so kind of cool though.

I heard, with this parallel wiring, it helps in the power distribution... i am not so sure in this thing.. others know better, pls elaborate on this. thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Default Need a little help wireing dual stock ESC's

I am going to wire in another stock esc to run dual esc's and I have been looking at this diagram and have a couple quistions please help.

I need to know if I need to splice all the wires together by color that plug into the receiver?

Also there are four motor wires on each ESC (blue and yellow) do i splice the yelows together and blues together for one ESC and plug them to a motor and the same to the other?

Please let me know and please elaborate thank you.
tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
0 0

in that picture it appears they are spliced and going into the same port but i'm pretty sure if your running dual esc's you'll want a 4ch radio such as the 4pk or a stick radio.
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombs View Post
I am going to wire in another stock esc to run dual esc's and I have been looking at this diagram and have a couple quistions please help.

I need to know if I need to splice all the wires together by color that plug into the receiver?

Also there are four motor wires on each ESC (blue and yellow) do i splice the yelows together and blues together for one ESC and plug them to a motor and the same to the other?

Please let me know and please elaborate thank you.
I also want to know this.. really confusing esp the part from the esc to rcver ..
Old 04-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

This link might help you Jonehrc
duel ESC quistions
tombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonehRC View Post
hi there rccherocon,

hmm from my understanding.. the parallel wiring is nothing to do with the dig.. at least to the term of "dig" itself.

but from what i gathered reading from this awesome forum, all MOA crawlers with the single esc just could not escape from the "motor stall" thing.. especially to the rear motor. no matter what or how u wired it.

there's remedy.. like the different pinion between front and rear motor - which i have not tested yet ... but read somewhere in the forum. the stalling of the motor, or how i understood it, the motor stop from moving, can be an advantage when climbing steep trail.. the rear motor just STOP moving or stop turning while only the front motor keep turning, trying to get a grip.. yep.. this moment of time i did see it live while i tried to climb a 60 degree plywood set up at home. in this case, no dig is needed.. it just happen. the rear motor just stop. so kind of cool though.

I heard, with this parallel wiring, it helps in the power distribution... i am not so sure in this thing.. others know better, pls elaborate on this. thanks in advance.

there is one way to help "Clod Stall". When you wire you two motors from your esc, first take your + - from esc, solder to the rear motor (first). Then cut 2 wires and solder them onto your rear motor then run them up to the front motor. There is a difference in doing this, it's still parrallel.

Think of the path of the energy starts at the speedo down the the rear motor (First) than up to the front motor. You want the power to arrive at the rear first helping in clod stall.

And by wiring it my way it allows you to have rear dig (rear lock) by a simple toggle switch you have to mount on your truck to cut power. A small micro servo will be required to "toggle" the toggle switch. That only requires 2 position switch. But It won't fully lock in a bind this will still allow your motor to break loose with enough traction. I just make my rear motor mesh very tight to help some.

Last edited by Blood_Clod; 04-01-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote