Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: live weight vs stick on weights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default live weight vs stick on weights

so right now i have stock axial beadlocks with lead around the rims with white rovers
and i just bought a set of mayhem double phattys with the live ball bearing weights
my question is how good are the live weights compared to the stick weights and are there advantagesand disadvantages?
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

They both have there pro's and con's..

Live Weight Pro's= Weight stays at the bottom most of the time. Less Strain on the drivetrain. Easier to adjust.
Stick on Weights Pro's= Weight stays put and is easier to predict.

Live Weight Con's= Weight can shift when you stop fast. Which can cause unwanted side effects. Sometimes you have to add weight anyway.(Stick on)
Stick on Weights Con's= Harder to adjust on the fly.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
They both have there pro's and con's..

Live Weight Pro's= Weight stays at the bottom most of the time. Less Strain on the drivetrain. Easier to adjust.
Stick on Weights Pro's= Weight stays put and is easier to predict.

Live Weight Con's= Weight can shift when you stop fast. Which can cause unwanted side effects. Sometimes you have to add weight anyway.(Stick on)
Stick on Weights Con's= Harder to adjust on the fly.
thanks ill have to remember that i think right now each fron weighs about 14 oz with tire and everything and the mayhems with four ball bearings like recommended without extra weight are around 11 oz
liverkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:46 AM   #4
MWRCA'er

The thing people seem to forget about stick on wheel weights the most is momentum. You can use the momentum to your advantage. Like for example say your high centered and don't want to take a reverse. By quickly stabbing the throttle from a stop you will rock more effectively then if you didn't have wheel weight or are using pendulum style weights. This also comes into play say you are upside down on your roof as you can forward reverse to get a swing going. The weight since it is also moving has a gyroscopic effect. Which is handy while air born or to provide stability on rough climbs at higher speeds.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I've seen trucks with live weights get into trouble when they get a good mount of wheels speed, causing the truck to bounce.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

In the conditions where I crawl, live weights are sure to get jammed with grit, sand and leaves, and start turning with the wheels. Useless. Also, when climbing steep inclines the weights shift backwards and upwards in relation to your trucks C of G, so you lose the real benefit of weights just when you need it most. Stick-ons stay where you put them.

Cheers.
Terranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
In the conditions where I crawl, live weights are sure to get jammed with grit, sand and leaves, and start turning with the wheels. Useless. Also, when climbing steep inclines the weights shift backwards and upwards in relation to your trucks C of G, so you lose the real benefit of weights just when you need it most. Stick-ons stay where you put them.

Cheers.
As far as grit and grime getting in the wheels, there are things you can do to prevent that, but about the weight shifting on steep inclines, it is no different than any other weight, its all about gravity, nothing at all to do with where or how the weight is positioned.
The live weights have clear advantages sometimes, but as with every pro there are sometimes cons. Overall the live weight system works period.

Stick on weights work well also, nothing at all wrong with em.
I've run both and honestly cannot tell much of a difference, but the theory behind live weights is real.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote