Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: a little help please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #1

Default a little help please

i was looking for a little advice on what kind of crawler to get. i love offroading and have a jk unlimited i wheel. i think buliding a scale rc version of that would be pretty cool. i also like the tube chasi crawler versions as well (had a avalanch ranch crawler). i am not looking to spend a fortune ($750 or less). i fly helicopters and planes so i have lipo batteries already and a charger if the sizes are right for the crawler.

what i don't want is to spend days and days building this thing. i don't mind doing some upgrades or puting some work into the scale part of it over time. i just don't want to build the whole dang thing i would like to buy a roling chasi and put in my own electronics. i have to many hobbies already, so i am not looking to compete in events. i just want a nice scale type crawler for fun that will preform well.

must for me would be:
water proof i like creeks and mud here on my property
a digital radio (controller)
i want to run the spyder-lock look a like rims so if that will fit in with a package great (i saw they were about a $120 plus by themselves).
jk unlimited body or a scale tube chasi crawler

anybody have something for sale let me know i can't see classifieds i guess for 30 days?

if not were should i buy and what?

thanks and sorry for a lot of questions i have been reading on here for about a week and have some ideas of what i like. i would reather just spend money once so i like to get good quality stuff (not the most expensive but not cheap junk either).
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
i was looking for a little advice on what kind of crawler to get. i love offroading and have a jk unlimited i wheel. i think buliding a scale rc version of that would be pretty cool. i also like the tube chasi crawler versions as well (had a avalanch ranch crawler). i am not looking to spend a fortune ($750 or less). i fly helicopters and planes so i have lipo batteries already and a charger if the sizes are right for the crawler.

what i don't want is to spend days and days building this thing. i don't mind doing some upgrades or puting some work into the scale part of it over time. i just don't want to build the whole dang thing i would like to buy a roling chasi and put in my own electronics. i have to many hobbies already, so i am not looking to compete in events. i just want a nice scale type crawler for fun that will preform well.

must for me would be:
water proof i like creeks and mud here on my property
a digital radio (controller)
i want to run the spyder-lock look a like rims so if that will fit in with a package great (i saw they were about a $120 plus by themselves).
jk unlimited body or a scale tube chasi crawler

anybody have something for sale let me know i can't see classifieds i guess for 30 days?

if not were should i buy and what?

thanks and sorry for a lot of questions i have been reading on here for about a week and have some ideas of what i like. i would reather just spend money once so i like to get good quality stuff (not the most expensive but not cheap junk either).

traxxas xl-5 waterproof esc around 40 bucks
traxxas 2.4 radio and reciever - i just order one brand new came with radio and reciever its a 3 channel for 80 bucks on ebay maybe find one a little cheaper! easy way to convert a 3 position switch too for a winch.
traxxas waterproof servos also they got them in digital also.
jk body are in the classifieds all the time or on ebay .. look up new bright or scale crawler something in that range theyll pop up!

hope that helps some.

Last edited by jon1197; 01-28-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: left out a sentence
jon1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You still might be able to pick up a JK at RadioShack for 50 bucks or so. I saw a couple just the other day.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #4

thanks for the info. so traxxus is what i want for electronics? i use spektrum/jr for my air rc's are they in with the trucks stuff as well? what should i pick up for a rolling chassi? is there a spot i can just order everything?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

ya i would check out www.rpphobby.com fast shipping and great people to deal with
hende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Imo use your heli radio and rec. saves some money plus you are use to a stick allready. So you are on the trail quickly pick up an axial scx10 honcho or tr. Sidewinder esc, i run a traxxas 12 turn out of a rustler mainly couse my lhs had it for 12 bucks and love the wheelspeed and grunt. Wrap the esc and rec in a balloon. This will get you going and you can add a jk body at any time.
ubbb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hende View Post
ya i would check out www.rpphobby.com fast shipping and great people to deal with
Most of the time
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The new axial trail honcho is pretty nice and the new bright jeep jk will fit it nicely.I have some jk bodies on ebay for sale right now for a buy it now for 100 or best offer Ill do 80 plus shipping username fastfred28 Thanks:-P
fastfred28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #9

thanks for the info. what is the difference for controlling the truck with sticks or truck radio? is there a advantage or disadvantage?

in order to fit this jk body what will i need to do to the scx10 to make it look right? and what will i need to do to the jk body?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

The main reason most of us do not use stick radios is it is easy to use pistol if you have not stick training. If you are used to stick then that is negated. Stick radios offer more options such as winch on channel lights on channel a channel for pretty much anything you need. If i were any good with a stick radio i would prefer one for my scaler. As far as the jk on scx i do not know what is involved but i am shure someone here can tell you which model axial will work the best and what is involved.
ubbb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

stick radios work grate for scalers I run a futaba T9 with spectrum 2.4 module and a 6ch park flayer Rx plenty of channels to play with plus the Rx is 1in square.

Instead of using a balloon you can get a traxxas waterproof Rx box.

I 2nd the SCX10 its a vary flexible kit and as for using a newbrite JK you'll have to extend the wheelbase on the SCX.
DKSnipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #12

i am looking at getting the tr version just because i don't want to put it together. i have some 3cell 2100 in a 50c and some older ones with a 25c and a nice charger will these work with the stock motors and ecs for now? as for the tr i will be getting upgrades anyway if i decide i like this sport and switch over to my spectrum radio. i want to put on a jk body so till then i like the bronco better than the toyota.

thanks for the help here guy

edit also i was going to order from tower hobbies cause i can get the scx10 tr and 8 AAA (to get the 60 off) to my door for 255.87. is that the best deal out there?

Last edited by spyder; 01-28-2010 at 08:53 PM.