Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: I need help, guidance, input, sympathy, a mommy...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by muphasta View Post
So, how fast do those Axials go anyway? I'm not interested in a speed demon, I just am curious if they are walking speed or a little quicker?

Thanks for the input guys!
I have a Axial SCX10 TR and it goes good. I had it jumping this weekend and I could make it faster with a bigger pinion. It is a fun truck all around.
n2dmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #42

I just recieved my SCX10 TR Dingo yesterday. It seems perfect for me and my six yr. old, and my 2 yr. old is getting a real kick out of it also. We have only been driving it indoors, because we can't seem to shake winter here in SD! Can't wait to get it outside. Speed actually seems pretty good, faster then I expected and obviously can be modified if desired. Plenty fast for now though, as we are just beginners!
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
I just recieved my SCX10 TR Dingo yesterday. It seems perfect for me and my six yr. old, and my 2 yr. old is getting a real kick out of it also. We have only been driving it indoors, because we can't seem to shake winter here in SD! Can't wait to get it outside. Speed actually seems pretty good, faster then I expected and obviously can be modified if desired. Plenty fast for now though, as we are just beginners!
So, is that a RTR? If you don't mind me asking, how much and from where? What all did you need to make it run?

These axials are confusing w/the kit/artr/rtr, I can't keep track of which is which.
muphasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #44

It is the Axial SCX10 TR (Trail Ready) with the Dingo body (Grey), not the Honcho body(Green). I joined the Tower Hobby Club to save $60 of $300 order. Also purchased Duratrax Onyx 200 Charger and Onyx 300 NiMH battery. These were all recommended for me online by many people for my situation (Beginner, no comps., etc.) Everything seems to work great so far!!!

SCX10 TR = $299.00
Onyx 200 Charger = $37.99
Onyx 3000 Battery = $19.99
Club membership = $9.99

Discount = (-$60.00)
Free Shipping = $0
------------------------------
Total = $306.97
Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
It is the Axial SCX10 TR (Trail Ready) with the Dingo body (Grey), not the Honcho body(Green). I joined the Tower Hobby Club to save $60 of $300 order. Also purchased Duratrax Onyx 200 Charger and Onyx 300 NiMH battery. These were all recommended for me online by many people for my situation (Beginner, no comps., etc.) Everything seems to work great so far!!!

SCX10 TR = $299.00
Onyx 200 Charger = $37.99
Onyx 3000 Battery = $19.99
Club membership = $9.99

Discount = (-$60.00)
Free Shipping = $0
------------------------------
Total = $306.97
Cool, thanks a lot, this may be what I get too, sorry to copy you!

I like the Dingo body better than the Honcho body. Are there other bodies available? I guess not ready to go probably. I don't think I'd want to paint anything myself, I'm a mess w/a rattle can!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #46

Those are the only two bodies available in the TR model. I also prefer the Dingo body. It sounds like the additional bodies are not really that hard to paint in a simple one color design. I figure I'll wait until I beat up the factory body, then try my luck painting a new one.

You may also want to include 2 sets of the Axial driveshaft rings, I read several posts about problems with the factory u joints coming apart. After some "medium" use indoors, I have noticed one of the plastic u joint yolks spreading apart slightly. I just ordered two sets of these rings along with some parts for my model rockets. It sounds like this is an easy fix for that problem. They were $6 a pair.

No worries on copying me, I'm sure I copied many others. Thanks to this great forum!!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:34 AM   #47

Don't know if the OP is still looking, but I wanted to say that I'm about to buy my first scale RC truck and I decided on the Axial SCX10 TR with the Dingo body. Everyone says it's a good starter rig, and the price is definitely right. The reason I picked the Dingo is that it comes with a shorter wheelbase chassis than the Honcho, and I plan to replace the stock Defender body with my own Jeep Wrangler body later on.

For the battery I decided to do something different. I wanted to get ~2-6 hours of run time on a full charge if it were possible, so I started looking into Li-Ion batteries. I found a 7.4v 8800mAh pack with eight 18650 cells that should give me just that, plus it runs at .2v more than the motor is rated for so I'll get a little more speed out of it. It includes everything you need already packaged and can be found here:

http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion186...bareleads.aspx

Since it's a cube pack and not a stick I might have to fab something to mount it under the body, or I could take it apart and re-wire it as a stick if I need to. I also found a good charger with a 5A trickle for the pack, it should give a full charge in less than 3 hours. The charger and it's AC adapter can be found here:

http://www.all-battery.com/5A-Balanc...i-Po01228.aspx
http://www.all-battery.com/110-240va...rsupply-1.aspx

Alternatively, if you want to save $30.00, you can power the charger with a hacked USB cable plugged into a desktop computer. USB hubs on desktop mainboards run exactly 12v DC @ 5A, which is the charger's input. Most laptop USB hubs don't support USB device charging and they run at lower amperage to save battery, meaning they usually won't work. You can also power the charger in your car if you're on the go; just run a positive from the battery with a 10A fuse and run a negative back, then terminate the circuit with a DC plug that fits the charger.

Last edited by Sine Deviance; 04-07-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Sine Deviance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #48

well, I went and bought my RC crawler today. Found a smokin deal (I think) on Craigslist. I think it started life as an Axial AX10 but you guys will correct me if I'm wrong. Lots of upgrades. I hope I can post pix correctly!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #49

Old 04-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #50

Let me know how I did and tell me what you think it is worth on the used/CL market!

Here is the radio:

and some spare parts:
Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Looks like you're up and running.
RusT808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #52

I should be up and running again this week as a buddy is sending me another AX 10.