Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: light rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #1

Default light rig

im runnin the ax Bender and the whole thing is REALLY light. even wit 2 wraps of weight on each wheel in front the balance point is still almost centered (i do run plastic wheels). is havin such a light rig wit a centered balance point a potential problem??? (thus far it runs and crawls fine but i havent ran in very many comps...)

Last edited by c.hope; 07-31-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: add detail
c.hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

A balanced rig is not a problem. It all depends on what terrain you drive and what you like to do. If big ledges are your thing then more weight up front will help. You can experiment with different weight by putting weights on the front or rear axle and take it out and drive it. A light weight rig is not a bad thing either if it suits your driving style. Changing the battery style and location will also allow you to move weight around. Remember, moving the balance point forward 1in. from center will make a big difference. Just play with it and see what you like.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Like Neutron said, light is not necessarily a problem. I have found though, that getting the rigs CoG just below the front edge of the skid plate is ideal about 90% of the time.
version_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

my rig only weighs 4 pounds 13 ounces rtr! i like running a light rig personaly
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #5

i was kinda worried bout my CoG cuz i have a tendency to flip when i have to get a bit more vertical. i do have enough weight to flip back over tho even using the moon buggy. would 9 more ounces in my front wheels help a lot??
Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hope View Post
im runnin the ax Bender and the whole thing is REALLY light. even wit 2 wraps of weight on each wheel in front the balance point is still almost centered (i do run plastic wheels). is havin such a light rig wit a centered balance point a potential problem??? (thus far it runs and crawls fine but i havent ran in very many comps...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hope View Post
i was kinda worried bout my CoG cuz i have a tendency to flip when i have to get a bit more vertical. i do have enough weight to flip back over tho even using the moon buggy. would 9 more ounces in my front wheels help a lot??
Im confused, are you running the bender chassis or the moon buggy?
Either way? when you say "2 wraps of weight", do you mean 2 full sticks of weight per tire? If they are normal stick on weights thats about 7oz i think, and i dont see how you could be balanced with either chassis.
Fattymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Since you provide so little info, there is no way to know what you have or how to help? How heavy is you rig? Where is the COG? Does it balance in the center of the skid? My starting rule is 60% of the weight on the front (balanced about at the front lower link mounts). Then tune from there. But hey if ya think it crawls fine, Why worry?
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #8

i have the moon buggy body with a bender chassis. its a custom set up... my CoG is almost dead center of the skid. for right now it crawls fine but i worry bout crawlin in natural terrain for comps. i ran in one and it kicked my butt cuz i kept flippin then couldn't get back cuz of the dirt (same problem everyone else had who flipped)
Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default I'm calling B.S.

I hope I'm wrong, and I apologize in advance if I am, but I'm calling B.S. to this "light" rig or maybe you're just trolling. I guess, the question is, what do you consider "light" ?

Like thomas posted above, rigs under five pounds are generally considered light. I personally run a rig running 4 pounds 9 ounces, and that is using a torsion chassis without shocks and a fairly well trimmed polycarbonate body.

Here's why my B.S. meter is in the red:

-If you are running "two full wraps" of lead, on each wheel, then we will assume that you are running at least 6 ounces on each wheel with a total of 12 ounces on the front wheels alone.

-I've weighed a Bender SWX kit RTR, no dig, poly carbonate body, stock AX10 wheels, Rovers, Nova Foams, no weight in the wheels and it's at 4 pounds, 6 ounces ready to run with a Tekin FXR, Tekin 35 turn motor, Spektrum receiver, and 850 mAh 3s lipo.

Just between the two above, would put you at 5 lbs. 2 ounces at the lightest.

Like the old hippie above has said as well, difficult to help you unless you provide more info, and be as detailed as possible. i.e. what electronics you run, where you place your electronics, where is your battery, dig?, etc... etc...
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #10

Default no bs

my rig weighs 68oz with a 3 cell lipo battery which would be about 4.25lbs total. the CoG is almost centered on the skid plate. in my fronts i have about 10oz total of weight from the wraps. my battery sits on my rear links, im not runnin a dig, i have the receiver for the Spektrum DX3R, the Tekin FXR, and the Integy 35 turn motor.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Any pics?
John82601 is offline   Reply With Quote