Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: tire/wheel question(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question tire/wheel question(s)

hey,
i am wondering what the "difference" is between tires that are "glued on to the rims & the "rock lock" type tires that have the bolted rings? yes i know the glue tires are glued on, but what happens if you want to change the tires but not the rims? do you have to buy rims & tires again to run different tires? are the rims "ruined" after you glue a set of tires on them? also is there a performance difference between the two? lastly if you don't glue the tires on can the tire -wheel combo be good enough to do some "bashing" not really any crawling but just run'n around in the dirt & such?

thanks for the time & responses......
rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

no you dont buy new rims/tires, you would just buy new tires, the simple way to get the old tires off is to put the whole wheel/tire into a pot of boiling water, the boiling water will soften the glue enough to get the tire off, now if there is any left over glue on the rim you can get a razor blade and scrape it off.

and no you cant leave the tire unglued from the rim, the rim will spin inside the tire,

now personally i know alot of guys that run the glue on type wheel/tire combo on there comp rigs, me i run beadlocks only because i build scale trucks

Last edited by honcho1.9; 12-17-2010 at 01:41 PM.
honcho1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

if the tire fits tight enough you can run them without glue just for bashing but their will be some tire slippage and on hard roll overs or corners some times they will come off the bead i have both types of rims and on the non bead locks i glue them but i have an old set of rims that i test the new tires on without glue to see how they handle before i glue them to the new rims
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

so the glue for the tires does not effect the rims? i gather from the posts that you can "re-use" rims with different or new tires then. if you use the beadlocks does that "damage" the tire? - are you able to take off & put back on a beadlock(ed) tire?

thanks guys for the input.....
Old 12-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

yes you can most defenitly take off and put back on tires from a beadlock rim, and no the beadlock rim doesnt hurt the tire, a beadlock rim is made with a channel cut in the wheel for the tires bead to sit in and when you put the beadlock ring on it simply clamps the tire in this channel and holds it to the wheel,.

and no the glue doent affect the wheel
honcho1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

honcho1.9,
thanks!! i appreciate your time to answer some silly questions....