Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Another New Exceed Maxstone 16 Owner here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 04:49 AM   #1

Default Another New Exceed Maxstone 16 Owner here!

What's up everyone? I've been hanging around this forum for several weeks now reading up and trying to learn about this hobby. I've been interested in RC crawlers for quite some time, but never bothered pursuing it until recently. What kicked it off was that my son got a "toy" RC crawler from the local Wal Mart for Christmas this year. I think they clocked in at $30 but I was impressed and we both had a blast with it.

So after a few days, I decided I was going to go get one myself. However, upon several return trips to several area Wal Marts, there were none to be found. So after a bit of looking and searching I decided to plunk the $80 down on the Exceed Maxstone 16.

Maybe my complete lack of experience with RC crawlers shows in this next comment, but this thing is AWESOME. I've only ran it around for maybe half an hour in the living room floor so far, but I'm totally digging it. My son thinks it's pretty awesome too!

Anyway, just wanted to make a quick intro and let everyone know that there's another Maxstone 16 owner in your midst! Hope to see everyone around the forum!
BTilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the hobby
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

if you think the maxstone 16 is awesome wait till you get a xr10 in your hands!
losilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the hobby. Wait till you get an Scx10 or and ax10 or an xr10. I have an Scx10 and its a blast to play with and to customize
XcrawlerkidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Don't worry- some Axial guys are a little whiny around here.
No need to "wait" for anything... enjoy the Maxstone! There is a small group of owners here that is steadily growing. Get some pics up in this thread:

exceed rc maxstone & madtorque crawler pics here
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

and a welcome from me. i bought a maxstone 16 for my 4yr old son so he could drive around with me (i have a venom creeper).

here is another thread you might look at (exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?). i started it awhile back when i was trying to decide on the maxstone. my son loves it and with the most recent upgrades i've made it is really tough. enjoy!
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
RCC Addict

[QUOTE=TexasJeff;2862328]Don't worry- some Axial guys are a little whiny around here.
not whiny just smarter
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #8

Hey Btilson. I got the max16 for Christmas. With 2 or 3 free mods that little crawler will keep up with a lot of the losi mrcs. One suggestion though. Break her down and grease everything real good before you run too many pacs through it. The axles have binded on mine and I can't remove them from the trans without drilling them out. Have fun!
cath0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Get some pics up in this thread:

exceed rc maxstone & madtorque crawler pics here
Unfortunately my crawler is still just straight stock, so the pics wouldn't look any different than they do on the manufacturers site! Been running it around in the living room over a big pile of pillows. There's still at least a couple of inches of snow/ice on the ground outside and I'm a bit leery of taking it out in the snow. The electronics seem very exposed, I'd hate to fry it after one day!

I've already decided that my first "upgrade work" on it is going to be working on lowering the center of gravity. It seems to have a pretty good bit of power for crawling, but it flips at nothing! Lowering the CG and maybe adding some weight to the front axles I think will be my first "mods".

I'm stoked!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=crawlhog;2862677]
Quote:
Don't worry- some Axial guys are a little whiny around here.
not whiny just smarter
10-4
XcrawlerkidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
No need to "wait" for anything... enjoy the Maxstone!
Welcome! Your son must have old trucks right? Take the body off of something else and put it on the maxstone.

Last edited by Hyde802; 01-16-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Hyde802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde802 View Post
Welcome! Your son must have old trucks right? Take the body off of something else and put it on the maxstone.
That's not a bad idea actually! He does have at least a few old beater RC trucks (toys) laying around that I could salvage! Believe I might give that a try
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #13

First question. The Maxstone 16 came with an extra set of 4 springs. I've heard a bunch of people talking about 'hard' and 'soft' springs. How can I tell which are which? Any particular arrangement of hard/soft that most people like?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #14

the ones that come on it are the soft. you can see if looking close that the diameter of the steel is thinner on them. torque twist is completely gone when you install them on the drivers rear and passenger front.
Bucklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #15

Awesome. Thanks Bucklee. That's one thing I've noticed a massive problem with with the Exceed 1/16th. Torque twist out the wazoo. My 6 year old said "Daddy, your crawler drives sideways!"

All in all, I'm pretty freakishly impressed with it, especially for $84. I'm gonna start working on an in depth review of it pretty soon and get it posted up here.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucklee View Post
the ones that come on it are the soft. you can see if looking close that the diameter of the steel is thinner on them. torque twist is completely gone when you install them on the drivers rear and passenger front.
I found that as soon as I corrected the upper link location the TW was gone. You'll lose a 1/4"- 1/2" of ground clearance but this truck needs to be lower anyway. Messing with the springs is kinda cheating and it will roll over more often.
cath0de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Welcome to the site. Enjoy it here.... Post up some pics.
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath0de View Post
I found that as soon as I corrected the upper link location the TW was gone. You'll lose a 1/4"- 1/2" of ground clearance but this truck needs to be lower anyway. Messing with the springs is kinda cheating and it will roll over more often.
Well I swapped out the springs per Bucklee's recommendation last night. Haven't powered it back up yet to see the performance though. What do you mean exactly by "correcting the upper link location"? Care to clarify a bit?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #19
Jer
Rock Crawler

Where did you buy your max16? I can't find them for less than $200 which is way higher than I am paying for one.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
Where did you buy your max16? I can't find them for less than $200 which is way higher than I am paying for one.
$200? Are you sure that wasnt for the MaxStone8?
redcar1978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxstone, maxstone 16