Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First timer, what do I get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #1

Default First timer, what do I get?

I am totally new to the RC world. Of course as a kid I had my share of RC cars and trucks but nothing special. I have considered getting a crawler many times but then the idea just goes away after a while of not knowing what to get or what to do.

So my question is, what is a good crawler to start with? I've been reading as much as I can and it looks like most people say start with the Axial SCX10 or the AX10 and a few mention the Losi Night Crawler. I don't know anything about brands since I have absolutely no knowledge of any of this.

I am not planning on doing any comps but I wont turn down a comp ready rig. I am willing to build a kit if anyone has a good list of parts to start with.

Money is somewhat of an issue and being my first time of course I don't want to go all out and spend thousands on an RC. The way I see it is, theres no sense starting with the best since you can't enjoy the build up. So I want something stock and I'll mod it a bit if recommended.

I like the idea of the Honcho simply because its got that 'real crawler' look to it. But any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Sean

PS, can't wait to read up on everything you guys do here, I just found the site and I am stoked to learn more!

EDIT: I have also seen some people mention the Venom Creeper I believe it is called. Again, no idea what is good and what isn't. Please help!

Last edited by Sean W; 02-09-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Sean W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

A Honcho/scx-10 would be a great choice Now it comes with a 2.4ghz radio & a drag brake ESC. ( so does the AX10 RTC) You really cant go wrong with either, it just comes down to what you like better, a scaler or a comp type crawler?
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:41 AM   #3

A scaler is the ones that look like real trucks, correct?

If I decided to go with the AX10, is there the option to buy an aftermarket body to make it look like a scaler?

Or am I using the terms the wrong way? Sorry if I am.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #4

What about the XR10? Is that a good rig to start with or is that more for comps?

EDIT: scratch that, I just noticed they are only available as a KIT.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 AM   #5

So I am leaning more towards the Honcho because I like the idea of having a realistic truck look.

Is there anything I should watch out for or replace right away with a stock Honcho?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:12 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W View Post
So I am leaning more towards the Honcho because I like the idea of having a realistic truck look.

Is there anything I should watch out for or replace right away with a stock Honcho?
The links are plastic, so I would replace them (they will work fine to start with though). Making links is easy, or you can get a set of aluminum replacement links for TR's from Axial. Locktite the set screws on the driveshafts, move the batt. tray to the front.

You will need a battery & charger too for the Honcho/Dingo TR RTR's. So don't forget to include those in your budget.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 AM   #7

What battery and charger should I get? I noticed there are different types of batteries and it looks like different types of chargers as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

The Losi is a good one. You can leave it stock or get a Punk Dig for about $60.00 & put a MOA kit on it so you can run 2 motors. You will loose the trans. & drive shafts. It will also lower the CG (center of gravity). Had one, liked it pretty good. Drove a Berg & liked it alot better. Building a Ti Fighter now. Berg is alomst 9lbs. Ti Fighter will be about 4lbs or 5lbs. Thats why I'm going with the Ti Fighter.
bigjeff1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/ax90017-...cdc4e2379910a5

They have other ready to run kits as well depending on how much money you want to spend.
dabbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #10

I think I am going to go with the AX10 instead of the Honcho. Seems more common and it looks like there is a lot more options for upgrades.

What battery and charger should I get for the AX10?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I think I am going to go with the AX10 instead of the Honcho. Seems more common and it looks like there is a lot more options for upgrades.

What battery and charger should I get for the AX10?
They are both almost the same rigs, axles & trans are the same. Only the bodies & chassis are really different. Most parts will interchange. (scx10/ax10)

I'd go with a Onyx 230- great charger for the $ IMO.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

The servo will be the first electronic part that you're gonna want to replace on either the scx or ax.

Quote:
What battery and charger should I get? I noticed there are different types of batteries and it looks like different types of chargers as well.
www.hobbypartz.com they are in California and have free shipping. check out the Thunder AC6 charger, I have one and it's great and a great price. Had it a year with zero issues. For batteries on the same site check out the sky lipos. I run 1000 3 cells with 40c and they are about 8-9 bucks a piece and though they may not be the best lipo for the price it's worth it and they have been good for me so far.
[QUOTE=Sean W;2916465]I think I am going to go with the AX10 instead of the Honcho. Seems more common and it looks like there is a lot more options for upgrades.

Think about what terrain you'll most likely want to crawl on. The Honcho is a blast almost anywhere. The AX is a blast too but it's gonna need rocks to have fun with.
James003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #13

[QUOTE=James003;2916581]The servo will be the first electronic part that you're gonna want to replace on either the scx or ax.

www.hobbypartz.com they are in California and have free shipping. check out the Thunder AC6 charger, I have one and it's great and a great price. Had it a year with zero issues. For batteries on the same site check out the sky lipos. I run 1000 3 cells with 40c and they are about 8-9 bucks a piece and though they may not be the best lipo for the price it's worth it and they have been good for me so far.
Quote:

Think about what terrain you'll most likely want to crawl on. The Honcho is a blast almost anywhere. The AX is a blast too but it's gonna need rocks to have fun with.
Thanks a lot! I will look into that charger. Will the stock steering servo do fine for the beginning or am I looking at it breaking within the first few runs?

I was originally thinking the Honcho for the looks and since I would use it mostly at home or around the house I wouldn't be taking it on rocks all the time. But I figured I do go camping quite often and would love to take the AX10 over some rocks while I am out camping or on the beach. So I think the AX10 would be better for me so that I have that extra ability.

Though I do know that the Honchos can do some pretty good crawling as well, how much can it really do compared to the AX10? I guess I'll have to watch some youtube videos or something.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
They are both almost the same rigs, axles & trans are the same. Only the bodies & chassis are really different. Most parts will interchange. (scx10/ax10)

I'd go with a Onyx 230- great charger for the $ IMO.
If I was to buy one or the other, is it possible just to buy the chassis of the other and swap everything over? Or does it not all fit?

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments guys.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by James003 View Post
You say you run "1000 3 cells with 40c" I am assuming that means 1000mAh? Sorry I don't even know how these batteries work

Is the mAh what determines how long the battery lasts?
What does the 40c or 30c etc. mean?
Does more cells mean longer life?
What about the higher voltage? What does that mean?

Sorry I have so many noob questions, I thought I would know something about batteries but I got totally lost looking at all these different choices haha.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #16
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
If I was to buy one or the other, is it possible just to buy the chassis of the other and swap everything over? Or does it not all fit?

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments guys.
That's just about accurate. Most of the parts will move from one to the other. Depending on wheel base (the honcho and dingo have different wheelbases) you may need new links. All the important stuff is the same.

You should describe your environment. If you think you'll only get out on rocks once in a while I think you should go w/the scx10 and if you want to run it on the rocks just throw some 2.2 wheels on it and it'll do fine.

I built a scx10 from used parts and I run 2 set's of wheels, 2 motors and 2 bodies depending on where I'll be.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote