Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: How to go Lipo? Need help please....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #1

Default How to go Lipo? Need help please....

Im wanting to switch over from Nimh to Lipo but I have no idea about lipos. I will be running the lipo on a stock Axial Honcho and Losi Night Crawler ESC but I don't know if I can just buy a Lipo, plug it in, and go or not. I was thinking of getting a 7.4v 2S lipo. (25C? 30C?) what does that mean? Will that work on what I have and do I need any other electronics to be able to run a lipo? Thanks
dgcghg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You can run 2s with no issues, i think.
You will need the lipo cut-off, if there is no in esc you use.
hope that helped
shizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I don't know about honcho but lnc has lipo cut off in it , U just have to look in ur book it will tell U how to program ur esc for cut off.
vistavega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Get as high of a C rating as you can afford. The C rating is the rating of how much current the battery can flow. A higher C-rating battery will have more "punch" and too low of a C rating is not recomended for crawlers. A high torque servo and a fast motor will put too much demand on anything under 20C.

You'll need the following:

-batteries
-balancer
-Lipo cutoff (for any esc that doesn't have one built in)

If you drop the voltage too low with a Lipo, you risk damaging the battery...in fact you can actually have the risk of fire.

Once you go Lipo, you'll never look back. However, they do involve a bit more care than nimh batteries. The plus side is that you don't have to worry about cycling and/or fully discharging before you charge like you do with a nimh.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #5

My nimh batteries seem to give me about a five minute run time and a couple of weeks I could run for an hour on my six cell. so im looking to switch to lipo. Im running a stock ax10 with an ae-1. Will I need to purchase a cut off with this esc?

Last edited by Rupert; 02-12-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Get as high of a C rating as you can afford. The C rating is the rating of how much current the battery can flow. A higher C-rating battery will have more "punch" and too low of a C rating is not recomended for crawlers. A high torque servo and a fast motor will put too much demand on anything under 20C.

You'll need the following:

-batteries
-balancer
-Lipo cutoff (for any esc that doesn't have one built in)

If you drop the voltage too low with a Lipo, you risk damaging the battery...in fact you can actually have the risk of fire.

Once you go Lipo, you'll never look back. However, they do involve a bit more care than nimh batteries. The plus side is that you don't have to worry about cycling and/or fully discharging before you charge like you do with a nimh.
What extra care do they need over nimh batteries?
maxfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Don't be too scared of Lipos. Get a lipo cut off and a good charger. You will need a lipo cut off with that stock axial esc. The main precation you need to take is to be present when charging your batteries. I usually charge mine on my granite countertops in the kitchen.

Another thing that helps is to remove the on/off switch on your esc. You can just cut it and solder the two wires together, then tuck it inside the esc case. That way you won't end up leaving your battery connected to your truck by accident.
Aggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:42 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Where can you get a cut off for the lipo cause i have a 8000 and 4000 laying around that i had in my slash 4x4
98sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:05 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98sierra View Post
Where can you get a cut off for the lipo cause i have a 8000 and 4000 laying around that i had in my slash 4x4
Those are so huge, while they might get you up and running, will make it difficult to get a low center of gravity.

MOst hobby shops can get them. Possibly try RPP or the Crawler Store or one of the other vendor supporters of this site, and if all else fails, check out Tower or feebay.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #10

Thanks for the info. Ill start looking for cutoffs. Can someone shine some light in the difference in voltage for the lipos?
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #11

Default Re: How to go Lipo? Need help please....

I am also needing this info to convert my mad torque to lipo power
trackercrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: How to go Lipo? Need help please....

Yea a 2s is definitely a good choice, longer run times, more efficient I think. But don't forget youll need a lipo charger too. Your normal charger won't charge it.
04sti20 is offline   Reply With Quote