Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Extremely new to crawling. Advice is welcome.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #1

Default Extremely new to crawling. Advice is welcome.

Ok, so in a recent trade on another forum I picked up an ax10, preinstalled with a DNA dig, beefed up links, aluminum steering links, I believe it's an swx chassis. It's only a roller with the steering servo and dig servo. So here are a list of questions.

Which esc/motor combo should I choose? I plan on running 1k-1.3k 3s lipos. Cost is important but not a limiting factor.

I understand a BEC helps, but how do you properly hook it up? I'm under that belief that it goes between the battery and receiver? And helps maintain a constant avg amperage so that you have the power you need to steer and pull over rocks ect. But most ESC's provide the power to the receiver, so do I remove the hotwire from the ESC-Receiver and just leave the black/white? If you have more info on how the BEC works I'd appreciate it.

I used to be a huge RC guy, it's been a good decade since I've been into heavy. I work for a Toyota dealer as a tech and typically work 6 days a week. "recalls..." So as I read through the threads here there is a LOT of information I just don't know. Is there a "Crawlers for dumbasses with limited time" thread?

I see Puller and Crawler... whats the difference?

I understand google and search can be your friend, however, for a guy who works an insane amount of hours I just dont have time to spare.

To be frank, any information that the experienced and knowledgable members here are willing to fork over would be much appreciated. In return, if you own a Toyota... and need something at cost... just let me know and I'll hook you up. ... FYI even working for them I cant get a Hilux... lord knows I'd love a diesel Hilux though.

Last edited by sstroudwku; 07-21-2011 at 06:34 PM.
sstroudwku is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

lets see how I can do for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstroudwku View Post
Ok, so in a recent trade on another forum I picked up an ax10, preinstalled with a DNA dig, beefed up links, aluminum steering links, I believe it's an swx chassis. It's only a roller with the steering servo and dig servo. So here are a list of questions.

Which esc/motor combo should I choose? I plan on running 1k-1.3k 3s lipos. Cost is important but not a limiting factor. check in to a sidewinder and a good 35 turn to 55 turn motor. If cost isn't a factor got with Holmes Hobbies ESC and a hand wound 35 turn or even on of his 14 turn puller motors.

I understand a BEC helps, but how do you properly hook it up? I'm under that belief that it goes between the battery and receiver? YES, it bypasses the ESC And helps maintain a constant avg amperage so that you have the power you need to steer and pull over rocks ect. Yes you can also very the voltage going to your servo, you can program the castle BEC through the castle link and the program you can get off their website. This will also set up your sidewinder (from above) But most ESC's provide the power to the receiver, they do, some aren't that strong, its better to use a BEC if your using a high powered high torque servo. so do I remove the hotwire from the ESC-Receiver and just leave the black/white? If you have more info on how the BEC works I'd appreciate it. Yes, see below post. Some make a plug so you can plug your battery into it then that whole thing plugs into your esc..so your battery is powering straight into your receiver through your BEC..I solder the red and black leads from the BEC to the ESC battery connector. Then heat shrink it so its safe and won't short out...lots of diagrams on the process on here, use the seach on "BEC diagram" and you will see it...print it out and you can lay your parts on top of the picture to help you.

I used to be a huge RC guy, me to, I'm 6'6" or right around there.. it's been a good decade since I've been into heavy. I work for a Toyota dealer as a tech and typically work 6 days a week. "recalls..." So as I read through the threads here there is a LOT of information I just don't know. Is there a "Crawlers for dumbasses with limited time" thread? right here in the newbies section. Lots of info here, also pick out the rig you want, find the section on RCC and start reading all the threads on the rig you like.

I see Puller and Crawler... whats the difference? two ways...a puller could be lilke a tractor puller, and crawler could be like a rock crawler..see the difference?? the other way is the puller and crawler motors. Not sure how to describe it. I use a 35 turn to 55 turn crawler motors (normal 540 can size). Puller motors are smaller diameter cans and lower turn armatures (spelling) These motors haul, and are in high demand, or at least they use to be.

I understand google and search can be your friend, however, for a guy who works an insane amount of hours I just dont have time to spare.

To be frank, any information that the experienced and knowledgable members here are willing to fork over would be much appreciated. In return, if you own a Toyota... and need something at cost... just let me know and I'll hook you up. ... FYI even working for them I cant get a Hilux... lord knows I'd love a diesel Hilux though.
Diesel Hilux sitting next to my 6.0 F250 would be pretty cool...then I could trade in and get a excursion.....

anyway, hope that helps some.

Last edited by squatch71; 07-21-2011 at 09:23 PM.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

found a picture of the plug between the battery.

with the comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrentd View Post
Is this the easiest way to tap into the power supply? And, is this just a male and a female deans plug soldered together (at the solder points) along with the BEC leads? That's what it looks like to me, but I wanted to make sure.
and then this was the very next post

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.D. View Post
You can, but it is just as easy to place the leads on the one side of a Deans. Like my pic.
then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Ok, this how I ended up setting mine up. I wanted to be able to easily connect the BEC to the Castle Link if needed so here's what I did.

heres the thread...these are posts 37 to 39 and how I have my BEC's
Definitive wiring diagrams for BECs Rx Servos Motors etc.

Last edited by squatch71; 07-21-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #4

Wow, I appreciate you taking the time to do that. It explained a lot actually. I ended getting a 45t pro tekin handwound off a guy here in the trade section. Just looking for the esc and bec now. A hilux next to your powerstroke would be nice. Although I much prefer the bullet proof 7.3 which you can get in an excusion. Late 03-10 Ford and Navistar/IH have been battling in lawsuit after lawsuit. The new all Ford Powerstroke 400hp/800lb/ft is not the navistar motor anymore. Ford cancelled the contract with Navistar in hopes of building back the prestige the old PS carried. The years mentioned although powerful and economical were plagued with issues. Injector failure, pump failure, cooling issues "some later years had up to 7 radiator cores". Hopefully you haven't had any of these issues, many members of my family worked and retired from blue oval factories. "Blue collar" ;) I bleed blue oval.

Again thanks for the help, its been appreciated.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm liking the FXR I just installed on my shafty. Its nice and small so easy to mount and keep your center of gravity low. You will need the cc bec with it. They can be found in the classifieds frequently.
PowerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #6

Ended up finding an FXR-Pro here in the classifieds. Curious though it has an internal 6v 3amp bec, is it still suggested to run an external 10a CC bec? Is this simply so the power can be adjusted to the servos? Aslo I seen some people have a BEC set to 7.2-7.4v is it safe to run that kind of voltage though the receiver and servos?

----
scratch that after studying the above diagram I see it's better to direct wire the servo to the bec.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

As a newbie myself this was very helpful
Teejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

very cool. This is what RCC is about, helping others...4 or 5 guys on here helped me out the first time I came back to RC, so I am returning.

heard the FXR had problems with the caps..course Castle has had problems as well.

I love my 6.0, the passenger injectors were changed before I owned the truck, I had the drivers injectors and turbo changed out just under the 5 years and 100,000 mile program I had on the truck...by 2 weeks and 3000 miles!!! cost me 100 bucks, saw the bill and it was around 6000.

Last edited by squatch71; 07-23-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
very cool. This is what RCC is about, helping others...4 or 5 guys on here helped me out the first time I came back to RC, so I am returning.

heard the FXR had problems with the caps..course Castle has had problems as well.

I love my 6.0, the passenger injectors were changed before I owned the truck, I had the drivers injectors and turbo changed out just under the 5 years and 100,000 mile program I had on the truck...by 2 weeks and 3000 miles!!! cost me 100 bucks, saw the bill and it was around 6000.
It's worse now, due to the lawsuit, Ford Techs are not even allowed to do most of the warranty service work. They are allowed to disassemble it but a Tech from Navistar has to actually fly in and do the work. It's some crazy stuff.

The castle V2 bec pro, is it to much or just right for the expandability. Thanks
Old 07-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I tried running my crawler (xr10) using the BEC in the FXR. It was nothing but frustration. So I installed the regular castle creation BEC and it is running great. All I did before hand was set the BEC for 6v. I would strongly recommend getting an external BEC especially if you run a hi torque servo.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #11

Appreciate the input, going to order one today.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

good...you won't be looking back with a BEC...like JonU said, set it to 6V
Old 07-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstroudwku View Post
The castle V2 bec pro, is it to much or just right for the expandability. Thanks
The regular 10A CC BEC should be fine, set it to the max voltage listed for your servo.
You either need a Castle Link to set it, find a local/LHS to set it, or some vendors will set it before shipping.

Since my son & I have a few CC BEC's as well as a number of CC ESC's we own a Castle Link.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote