Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 1/10 or 1/18; Losi or Axial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #1

Default 1/10 or 1/18; Losi or Axial

Brand new to this Hobby, lucked on to a Traxxas T-Maxx at a garage sale for $20 spent another $50 in parts to get it running and now hooked. I really like running the TMaxx but i see so much more potential for fun with a crawler.

SOOOO the big question in what do i do now?

The guys at the Hobby shop are gearing me toward the Losi Night Crawler the other one that seams to be quite popular is the Axial AX10. No i see the 1/18 mini crawler from Losi that looks quite good too.

I am looking to spend around the $300, hopefully less but dont want a piece of junk that i am going to hate just to save a few bucks. I want one that is easy to upgrade and find replacement parts for.

So far these are the 3 that i am leaning toward, if there are other ones out there that you can recommend please let me know.

I appreciate the feedback, thank you.

Otis
TTTOtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

well it all depends on what you want to do with it, if you want to comp, or jsut play around with it on the rocks.
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #3

I guess mostly play but wouldnt mind getting into comp, that is what is drawing me to the 1/10 and they dont appear to be that much more than the 1/18
Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

18th scale or 1.9 class as it's called in competition is limited. Many areas don't even comp 1.9 or have very little involvement.

One more factor that concerns me about anything losi and crawling is the fact they are taking measures which indicate they are leaving the crawling market. From the deep discounting of the Comp Crawler and 18th Pro Race Roller to the fact some parts are getting hard to find, then include the fact that their top line of crawling tires is hard to come by as well with most places sold out.

The Axial has more support and doesn't appear to be going anywhere. Of course, in competition anything shaft driven will be limited against motor on axle crawlers like the Berg, Axial XR10, and Bully.

Stock for stock the Losi LNC or LCC will out crawl the Axial AX10, however, with some mods the AX10 can be made equal.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #5

Ok so that would bring up another question. Should i just go with the XR10?

If so what can i expect to pay for it, all said and done?

I see that the kits are a bit over $200 and im not exactly sure what else i need. I know i need batteries and a radio but what else is there?

i don't need to have top of the line stuff but just enough to get me crawlin.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

This
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...3&cat=4&page=1

With an extra one of these
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1

And a decent servo should suffice.
Mr. crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Default This is what I would do

I would set aside how ever much you want to spend for a comp crawler, then purchase one used on this forum or other crawler forums. I wish I would have done that with mine, I started stock, then became so addicted I have now dumped a small fortune in it. If I had purchased a used one from the start I would have got one with all the bells and whistles I wanted and saved alot of money that I could use to build another class.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Used is definitely the way to go. You save a couple hundred dollars or more if you are patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
I would set aside how ever much you want to spend for a comp crawler, then purchase one used on this forum or other crawler forums. I wish I would have done that with mine, I started stock, then became so addicted I have now dumped a small fortune in it. If I had purchased a used one from the start I would have got one with all the bells and whistles I wanted and saved alot of money that I could use to build another class.
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I've seen some guys on here take an scx10 to start out stock and then upgrade to comp status. Again though its shaft driven so that has some disadvantages but for the money I think its definitely an option considering how much you are looking to spend.
Roman5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Welcome... to your addiction. What I did is bought an AX-10 (bone stock). Put it together myself. That was half the fun. Started to do the comp. thing & loved it. Got my a$$ handed to me everytime. Did some up-grades to it & started finishing courses. Bought a Losi Comp. Crawler, did up-grades to it. Liked it a little better. Drove a friends Berg, built one for myself & loved it. Now I'm building a Ti-Fighter (waiting on the axles). Spent ALOT of $$$. Could of built a Berg, & SAVED ALOT of $$$ & be better off with some $$$ still in my pocket. Anyway, I love doing the comp. thing & just playing around. If you want to comp. get a Berg. Yes, they cost more but it's worth it. Save your money to get what you want. Just playing around, the AX-10 is a good one to start with. It comes in 100000000000000000 pieces, but YOU can put it together. YOU will know how it goes together. & you can put what you want where you want it. AX-10's are up-gradeable & compete well. So, it just depends on what you want to do. Good luck, but most of all HAVE FUN!!!
bigjeff1313 is offline   Reply With Quote