Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Anyone got some tips on waterproofing motors and electrics?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #1

Default Anyone got some tips on waterproofing motors and electrics?

Hi doing my first buil and just wondered if anyone had any tips on waterproofing?
thesquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Either buy waterproof electronics or wrap them up.

I've had luck just putting a bit of grease around the servo shaft, its usually fine after that and then throwing the ESC and transmittor in a ballon and sealing it up. Just watch out they don't get too hot! My next ESC will be a waterproofed one from Holmes Hobbies.
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What are you building?

Axles: Pack as much lithium or marine grease as possible until the halves seep out. Then screw them back together. This will will keep the mud and water from getting into your ring/pinion. Clean off residual grease with an rc degreaser.

Tranny: Same method as above.

ESC: Pop open the bottom dip the entire ESC into Plastidip (can version) can be found at most marine shops, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc... Once almost dry it's pliable so use your fingers to get the best seal. For the heatsink carefully use a hobby knife and cut around it. This method is a lot better than putting it in some sort of project box as it still allows the ESC to breathe.

Servos: Remove 4 bottom screws with a small phillips. Remove all gears pack dielectrical grease or lithium grease again. Close the servo case once all gears are reinstalled in the correct order. There should be enough grease to ooze out the sides a bit. Use a couple of O-rings that came with the servo and mount it over the spline. Also make sure the rubber grommet where the servo wires come out is properly seated. Again clean off the excess grease with an rc degreaser. (some say put it in a balloon...well ballons rip. Also heat will build up in the balloon which can melt it under heavy continual use.)

Batteries: NiMH pop a couple of holes in the center of the pack so water can drain out. After a submersed run drain the water out. Use a hair dryer or heat gun on low setting to dry everything. Lipos are waterproof by themselves already since each cell is wrapped. For more security on lipos you can use Liquid Tape (Home Depot) and paint on the back ends of the connector. Most of the time running lipos through water is fine. Not enough minerals to conduct electricity.

That should be it....have fun!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
What are you building?

Axles: Pack as much lithium or marine grease as possible until the halves seep out. Then screw them back together. This will will keep the mud and water from getting into your ring/pinion. Clean off residual grease with an rc degreaser.

Tranny: Same method as above.

ESC: Pop open the bottom dip the entire ESC into Plastidip (can version) can be found at most marine shops, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc... Once almost dry it's pliable so use your fingers to get the best seal. For the heatsink carefully use a hobby knife and cut around it. This method is a lot better than putting it in some sort of project box as it still allows the ESC to breathe.

Servos: Remove 4 bottom screws with a small phillips. Remove all gears pack dielectrical grease or lithium grease again. Close the servo case once all gears are reinstalled in the correct order. There should be enough grease to ooze out the sides a bit. Use a couple of O-rings that came with the servo and mount it over the spline. Also make sure the rubber grommet where the servo wires come out is properly seated. Again clean off the excess grease with an rc degreaser. (some say put it in a balloon...well ballons rip. Also heat will build up in the balloon which can melt it under heavy continual use.)

Batteries: NiMH pop a couple of holes in the center of the pack so water can drain out. After a submersed run drain the water out. Use a hair dryer or heat gun on low setting to dry everything. Lipos are waterproof by themselves already since each cell is wrapped. For more security on lipos you can use Liquid Tape (Home Depot) and paint on the back ends of the connector. Most of the time running lipos through water is fine. Not enough minerals to conduct electricity.

That should be it....have fun!

Thanks very much I will give this a go. Might be a while till I get to test it though. Still got a lot to do on my build. I am building a defender 90. Heres the link idf you are intrested: First Proper Build: Defender 90 extented truck cab.
thesquid is offline   Reply With Quote