Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tamiya 350 high lift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Default Tamiya 350 high lift

Hi all! Just new here. I have just purchased a Tamiya 350 HL. Not quite ready to start the build yet as I am still gathering parts. Plans to start with a few accessories and options have led me to purchase a 6Ch digital radio also...(not sure this was a great idea)?? However. I am starting with a full bearing kit, and plan on independent front and rear steering, I already have a functional winch, plans are to have a full lighting system, suspesion mods will be later on with the possibility of a trailer?..( to tow my savage flux 2350 around) So thats where I,m at. I was surprised to find this truck did not come with a speed controller, and this is where my questions start.
1. Does anyone have any experience with mounting a brushless system on the 3sp trans? and if so did the plastic gears stand up to the extra torque?
2. Tamiya's price for the sound and light system (TCU02) is insane!! I'm sure there are others out there in a multi-function format, at a reasonable price. What brand would you suggest?
3.The manual states that you can install a pin in the diffs. to lock them. Any suggestions how to do it with the Tx, while still keeping a factory appearance?
Thanks.
Rygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tamiya 350 high lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar View Post
Hi all! Just new here. I have just purchased a Tamiya 350 HL. Not quite ready to start the build yet as I am still gathering parts. Plans to start with a few accessories and options have led me to purchase a 6Ch digital radio also...(not sure this was a great idea)?? However. I am starting with a full bearing kit, and plan on independent front and rear steering, I already have a functional winch, plans are to have a full lighting system, suspesion mods will be later on with the possibility of a trailer?..( to tow my savage flux 2350 around) So thats where I,m at. I was surprised to find this truck did not come with a speed controller, and this is where my questions start.
1. Does anyone have any experience with mounting a brushless system on the 3sp trans? and if so did the plastic gears stand up to the extra torque?
it will come down to what brushless motor you are looking to put in it, i ran a 1000kv outrunner with no issues but wouldnt try a fast motor
2. Tamiya's price for the sound and light system (TCU02) is insane!! I'm sure there are others out there in a multi-function format, at a reasonable price. What brand would you suggest?
i havent seen much for a complete multifunction unit but you can find sound units and light systems seperately and put them in ur rig for cheaper, i did that on my 1/14 tamiya big rig
3.The manual states that you can install a pin in the diffs. to lock them. Any suggestions how to do it with the Tx, while still keeping a factory appearance?
there is no way with the factory axles to have remote lockers, venom creeper axles had this option but it didnt work very well and rc4wd make axles that can but they are pricey and havent really seen any in action. my opinion would be lock them and leave them
Thanks.
there you go the answers are in red
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #3

Default Re: Tamiya 350 high lift

Hi Thanks! I started the build a few weeks back, Got part way through and started changing things, I disconnected the"optional" factory simultanious 4 whl steer, and used a servo bracket that came with the radio. Mounting it and two servos ahead of the two rear shock towers, and with parts left over from the kit, I have full independant rear steering!! The second servo will operate the tilting box..when I get to it. The factory bush bar is nice I like it; but it offered no room at all to install the winch, without butchering the shiny chrome bumper, or removing it completly. So I got some aluminum and made new brackets identical to the original, extending the length of the lower portion about 3/8" this gives just enough clearance to mount the winch above the bumper, and retain all the factory plasic covers and of course not harm the body. just finishing that up. Shopping around has gotten me a handfull of Leds for experimenting with, however it looks as if I,m still going to have to purchase a contoller to operate them with for/rev and steering functions. I have still not decided on a paint colour or scheme as yet, I have been trying to decide on a trailer hitch system this is slightly more complicated with the tilting box, in ether fashion. Frame or fith wheel the tilting box is in the way on frame style, while fith wheel requires supports to be built...now over the servos and up to, possibly through the box?? I am definately going to install scale hubs and scale tires now too. Doing my calculations on a trailer, a 20" landscape/car hauler, the bed should come out to 2' x 10.8" at 10th scale. However to accomodate most of the r/c trucks around the house it looks as if 12" bed width will accomodate most, perhaps a fold down side rail would work with the larger race style trucks as they are 16" wide. it would be nice to utilize a set of truck tandems off a 1/14 scale rig this would keep the trailer realistic in appearance also.
Rygar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
350, high lift, tamiya

Tamiya 350 high lift - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya F-350 High Lift Revoroller Newbie General 10 05-10-2008 10:08 AM
Tamiya F-350 High Lift??? jeff in ohio Newbie General 9 04-17-2007 11:06 AM