Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: best axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2006, 05:29 PM   #1

Default best axle

If I were to start from scratch would the clod axles be the best to use to build the ultimate rock crawler? I see the txt which is a much newer truck so naturally I would think it would be better but is that the case?
mikeridesbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Mike, the TXT is a great truck, but there are other trucks that have been out for longer that have had more accessories, and similar things made for them, like the clodbuster. For a first-time rc rockcrawler, I would recommend a Clod. There pretty inexpensive, easy to find, and you can use a bunch of chassis' with the axles. with shaft-driven, center-transmission rigs, like the TXT, you have to set up the trans. the way you want it, or shoehorn in a completely different type, like an E-maxx, which is what A LOT of people do on those rigs. Also-for a shafty- you have to get the length of your links right, or you will need to lengthen-or shorten-the driveshafts,they're typically also more top-heavy than a, and many suffer from torque-twist, where the driveshafts make the whole rig lean to the side that the motor(s) rotate towards. A clod really has none of these issues. Again, this is just my opinion, and I have nothing against a shafty.
P.S. My sig. line is just B.S. for the anti-Clod people.
john alardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Oh, Mike, you might want to check RC4wd.com. They prob. have one of the biggest amounts of after-market parts for rigs. This could help you to find out about whats available for what trucks, and so on. I heard the shipping is less than great, though. :-( Whatever route you decide to take, good luck and happy crawling- the Clodfather.
john alardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeridesbikes
If I were to start from scratch would the clod axles be the best to use to build the ultimate rock crawler? I see the txt which is a much newer truck so naturally I would think it would be better but is that the case?
If you are building a crawler with big tires and long wheelbase then yes, the clod will likely perform better and be easier to build. A TXT will perform well but it will require more work.

If you want to build a scale crawler then TLT axles would be better.

Please take a look at all of the supporting vendors of this site as there are many chassis and accessory offerings to fit your budget and likes.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:10 PM   #5
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeridesbikes
The Clod axles would be the EASIEST(oh wait,I have a Clod)but what you want in the end can only be decided by you.the best answer I can give you is to search,search and research.It all comes down to what YOU want from your rig.As far as ULTIMATE goes,that's all personal opinion.Good luck with your project and keep us posted.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Like everyone else said. Clod. I prefer a TLT myself but you can build a Clod pretty cheap. I just built one for my nephew. He splurged and got a Rockbull chassis but you can get out cheaper. This is his setup. All new parts.

Clod axles - $110.00

Duratrax intellispeed autosport ESC - $42.00

2 Integy 55 turn motors - $40.00

Hitec 645 servo - $38.00

Proline outrunner wheels - $18.00 a pair

Moab XL tires - $32.00 a pair

Bearing set - $25.00 - optional but worth it.

TX and RX were given to him from a friend. maybe you already have one you can use. If not, you can get a suitable one for pretty cheap.

Get some aluminum plates and make your own chassis. And 6/32 threaded rod and aluminum tubing for sleeving at LHS or Lowes. You might have $20.00 bucks in all that.

Rod ends - Around 10 bucks.

So for around $350.00 you can be running. Unless you need a radio. For that about $400.00. You can probably get some stuff used and get out much cheaper that that. Hope this helps.

Last edited by scruff007; 07-31-2006 at 08:08 PM.
scruff007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:35 PM   #7

Alright thanks guys. I am currently building a roc maxx e maxx. I was always into the nitro trucks putting a .21 in my t maxx 5 yrs ago and having to upgrade every part on it but these rock crawlers are completely different machines and a nice change.
mikeridesbikes is offline   Reply With Quote