RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/412188-why-i-dont-go-comps-not-looking-comp-guy-replies.html)

Jon Stevens 04-06-2021 10:41 AM

Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

Quote:

Originally Posted by debrent (Post 6017337)
Why I don’t go to comps?

Simple...I’m just not that competitive. I like to just hike along a trail with my truck and look for interesting places to explore with it. It’s relaxing. Competing is typically stressful...at least for me.
Also, competitive crawling involves spending a lot of $$$ on upgrades. Some of those upgrades will certainly result in improved crawling performance but don’t do anything for the aesthetics of the vehicle.
As many others have stated, I prefer a more realistic “miniature off road” crawling experience. So just give me a good trail, a nice day, some good natured friends and maybe a couple of beers and I will have everything I need or want from the hobby.

Thank you sir.....Im right there with ya

wander 04-06-2021 11:23 AM

Disconnected socially, digitally, and not competitive.
I plan on getting an MOA soonish and driving until I know it. At that point if I hear about one I may enter to see how my skill stacks up against others' skill. However the reality is that I tinker too much and will probably never have a vehicle that can qualify for a contest.

WHITE-TRASH 04-06-2021 03:26 PM

If you get caught up in keeping up with the jonses then you're going to have a bad time no matter what you do.

Myself I've always hated scale comps because the nerds putting them on required 30 pieces of flare to enter.

They burned out and now I'm putting them on this summer. No scale points, no bs just show up with a rig that meets basic body and tire specs and have fun.

Trike Kid 06-06-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH (Post 6076399)
If you get caught up in keeping up with the jonses then you're going to have a bad time no matter what you do.

Myself I've always hated scale comps because the nerds putting them on required 30 pieces of flare to enter.

They burned out and now I'm putting them on this summer. No scale points, no bs just show up with a rig that meets basic body and tire specs and have fun.

The pieces of flair and the way winches are used in scale comps has always seemed hokey to me. I've never seen anyone take and wrap their winch cable over the roof of their truck and float it across a rock face on one or two wheels, but I've seen that in SORRCA comp footage. If the comp is about driving, then it should be about driving not how many doo-dads you can glue on a truck.

As far as why I personally don't do comps:

Right now anyway I can't justify the cost of buying back into a 1/10 scale crawler that would be competitive especially when I can't just step out the back door and run it to test and tune at home. My crawler collection at this point is just a handful of mini scalers that I can run on my small home course. I'm not aware of anyone local running comps for 1/24 scale stuff.

Another thing is that it seems like they're all organized on facebook and I don't facebook.

WHITE-TRASH 06-06-2021 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trike Kid (Post 6083664)
The pieces of flair and the way winches are used in scale comps has always seemed hokey to me. I've never seen anyone take and wrap their winch cable over the roof of their truck and float it across a rock face on one or two wheels, but I've seen that in SORRCA comp footage. If the comp is about driving, then it should be about driving not how many doo-dads you can glue on a truck.

As far as why I personally don't do comps:

Right now anyway I can't justify the cost of buying back into a 1/10 scale crawler that would be competitive especially when I can't just step out the back door and run it to test and tune at home. My crawler collection at this point is just a handful of mini scalers that I can run on my small home course. I'm not aware of anyone local running comps for 1/24 scale stuff.

Another thing is that it seems like they're all organized on facebook and I don't facebook.

It's all about hyper scale until it isn't. :roll:. You've never seen a giant moving a tree around with a giant eyelet screwed into it to winch off of in real life? :lmao:

smog 06-07-2021 08:11 AM

To my knowledge, we don’t have any comps locally. Though even if we did it’s hard to say whether or not I would enter.

I go crawling with my kids, so on a social level that’s how it serves me. They are teenagers now so anything I can do with them that they enjoy is a bonus. Miraculously they still think my truck building hobby is cool.

When I am out by crawling by myself I am typically using RC as way of being busy in a beautiful environment. For me this usually means quiet and devoid of people. Likely the opposite of a comp environment. I do a lot of my crawling over the Precambrian shield in lake country where it is rocky and forested. I feel pretty fortunate to have a cabin in the middle of it all. Where I go would definitely be considered remote. Just the fact that cell phones don’t connect for 30 miles is likely enough to keep people away.

TexasSP 09-15-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Yup, I remember really pissing off some scale rules team guys on this years ago. I said then the whole idea of scale points was dumb. Dress up your Barbie Doll however you want, but don't give them points for it.

When we ran scale locally at the time, you had to meet certain criteria, no scale points, and we had a blast. Basically body had to look scale, tires had to be scale replica and 1.9 (no pin tires etc), and ladder frame chassis, and no MOA. Everything else could run what was basically unlimited.

I have always hated winching, no interest there, no thanks, just too tedious for me. Some things down translate well from 1:1 to RC and vise versa.

ScaleLifeNewbie 09-16-2021 01:38 AM

Quote:

i went to my first comp 2 weeks ago and it was fun until I realized how much my truck sucked on the course. They had set up A LOT of axle hangers and my big a$$ diffs on the Enduro would grab onto anything and everything. Then add Class 0 tires and a hardbody onto that and you got yourself a hell hole. On my home course I only have a few hang-up spots and it did great; I was very confident in my truck lol.

Now I'm back to building a strictly performance-oriented crawler.

RecklessTrent91 04-21-2023 08:00 AM

I enjoy going to comps when I can make it work with my busy schedule. Although some comps I dont go to because I dont agree with their rule choices. Instead of complaining about them or trying to bend the rules to compete. Another big thing that keeps me from going to certain comps falls under the rule thing but its when they are timed runs. To me crawling is not about being fast, its all about being technical.

Oldbear42 10-21-2023 11:47 PM

We don't have any competitions near us. Anything would be 1-1/2 hours away or more and we just don't hear about them until its too late to plan the trip.