Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Looking to get into Crawling...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 08:03 PM   #1

Default Looking to get into Crawling...

Ok, I was checkin out the site for a while and RC Crawling looks like fun. I saw a few people that had Stampede Crawlers, is there any way to make an ENTRY lvery crawler for $500-$600. Please dont be harsh, cause I really have no idea how expensive this "genre" or RC is. Any insight what so ever is great, thanks.
Bizket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Welcome aboard!

This thread -----> FAQ: TLT-1 to TLT-Crawler ***NEWBIES READ!!!***

is a great starting point and a guide to build a competitive crawler in your price range. Commonly called a 2.2 class crawler. the base is a TLT-1 Kit from tamiya and a popular choice for transmissions is the stampede rear diff used as a center transmission.

Again, welcome aboard, and have fun!

Last edited by Unholy; 08-29-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You could make a kick a$$ tlt for that price.

Now you beat me to the punch.
You Unholy Bastard
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

For $5-600 you could make a real nice Clodbuster based crawler also. There are a lot of aftermarket chassis here for both the TLT and Clodbuster to get you started.

Being competitive in rock crawling doesn't always mean who has the most expensive parts wins. Actually driving the truck has a LOT to do with it!

Welcome to RCC and good luck!
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcomes. Usually people dont be so nice... But oh well. I figured Id post here since this seems like it would be the site to ask at. I wasnt too sure if my price range would be good for starter or not but since you put it like that, think I may just go ahead and do somthin like that. If there is any other options, thats cool too, Im going to look into anything that is given right now, Ill end up choosing one when the time comes. Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #6

LOL, I just read the whole thread there, and I will say it is a bit confusing... Im not too experienced with R/C's. But alot of it seems just to be locking the diff's, the shocks and such. But like I said its a bit confusing to me.:-(. Now is it really just taking a few stock things out and putting some aftermarket parts in (with some modifications of course). Or is there something behind this that Im just not getting. But its kinda late, and Im tired so it may not be sinking in completely.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:48 PM   #7

Well, I went to towerhobbies.com and check it out for a clodbuster just for kicks, and I found this http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLCA3&P=7 it says all I need is the clodbuster wheels & tires, dog bones, and gear box parts. Would this be something good to invest in? Or would it be better to to the TLT-1, or something else with the clodbuster?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizket
LOL, I just read the whole thread there, and I will say it is a bit confusing... Im not too experienced with R/C's. But alot of it seems just to be locking the diff's, the shocks and such. But like I said its a bit confusing to me.:-(. Now is it really just taking a few stock things out and putting some aftermarket parts in (with some modifications of course). Or is there something behind this that Im just not getting. But its kinda late, and Im tired so it may not be sinking in completely.
It'll take a little time to learn everything. You can build a nice crawler for $500-$600. You don't have to spend it all at once either. Start with a kit, build it, and start modifying what you don't like using tips found here on RCC.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
It'll take a little time to learn everything. You can build a nice crawler for $500-$600. You don't have to spend it all at once either. Start with a kit, build it, and start modifying what you don't like using tips found here on RCC.
Yea, I was thinking something like that. But I can across this searching the web http://www.etechhobbies.com/Roc-Max.html anyone heard of it, anyone on here have it? And might it be something to look into?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

There is a good review of that chassis here ---> Roc-Max Review II

unless you already have an emaxx you might be over budget though...
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

You would be better off buying individual parts instead of that clod conversion kit and you'll spend half as much or less.
scruff007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:48 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Bizket, i would recomend a clod based crawler, start with the axles, you can get of e-bay $80-110, you could also get most of the parts from tower to build the complete axles arounf $120, for a chassis i would recommend the EVO or the CLAW from http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...n/commerce.cgi
you can also buy a clod complete kit and put it together, get the feel for it and go from there, highly recommend to get rid of the stock msc and get an esc, anyways if you have a $600 budget go to the vendors and for sale section ypu should be able to get most everything here on this forum.
Good luck and welcome
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn
Bizket, i would recomend a clod based crawler, start with the axles, you can get of e-bay $80-110, you could also get most of the parts from tower to build the complete axles arounf $120, for a chassis i would recommend the EVO or the CLAW from http://www.crawfordperformanceengine...n/commerce.cgi
you can also buy a clod complete kit and put it together, get the feel for it and go from there, highly recommend to get rid of the stock msc and get an esc, anyways if you have a $600 budget go to the vendors and for sale section ypu should be able to get most everything here on this forum.
Good luck and welcome
I think I understand what your saying, lol. Do you mean to get the CLAW or, EVO chassis, and get a complete kit and build it onto the chassis. Or get the parts for the entire drivetrain, and electronics, from tower and build it onto the chassis like that? Sorry for asking dumb questions but Id rather know what Im doing a little bit before I do it, lol.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

well it's really up to you , would you like a nib kit and build it yourself and get the feel for the stock, or would you maybe rather get something of e-bay already assembled (axles all you really need) and then get a chassis from CPE which the CLAW comes to mind as you would only need to put your axles and electronics, no need for shocks and all the possible different setups.like i said is a question of personal preferences.
Good luck
Old 08-30-2006, 09:33 AM   #15

So what your saying is I can just get basically a used truck, so its already built then get the CLAW chassis like you said, and just swap the axles, and electronics to the CLAW chassis? When you say there is no need for the shocks, you mean no like aftermarket shocks right? Just the ones that come with the truck.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

right on the used part, though you can look for only the axles, no shocks means no shocks at all the CLAW is shockless .
Old 08-30-2006, 09:44 AM   #17

Thats pretty cool. When you said no shocks i was like, WTF thats pointless. So all I would be doing is taking the drive train and electonics, and swapping them, sounds good to me. Now would I need to modify anything in the drive train to make them fit the longer wheel base?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

the clod is basically 2 identical diifs with a motor ea. so wb lenght poses no problem, depending on your receiver position you might look into servo cable extensions
Old 08-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #19

K, Im pretty sure I get it now. So from the used Clod that I would get Id take out the diff's, the drive shafts, Im assuming there is a central diff, and all the electronics, and if needed servo cable extensions, now these are actual cables Im assuming. Not like say my Savage, where its like a little rod? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

no center diff , 2 separate axles with one motor each controlled by one esc or msc, extension just in case the servo cable is to short, LOL as i'am writing fed ex just dropped of a compltete clod i scored of e-bay for $110, with radio , i had completely forgotten about this one, i now have another project .