Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Stock TXT-1 (newbie)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 07:54 AM   #1

Default Stock TXT-1 (newbie)

How well does a stock TXT-1 crawl stock? I'm looking into purchasing one soon to replace my many broken Nylints but this will be my first kit RC. How hard are they to build? Do they could with detailed instructions?

Appreciate all the help! Trying to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into before I buy one.
Kevo1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

The stock TXT will crawl ok, if you lock the diffs. You do have to build the kit yourself, but it comes with detailed instructions. The assembly is pretty straight forward, just take your time and pay attention to what they tell you to lube.

After you've got it assembled and have driven it a little, you can start modding as you see fit.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #3

The TXT is a good start . Thats what I have. It is a little ( ok alot ) top heavy but you can fix all that with a few mods. Take the extra time and money and buy bearings for it before you build it. And pay attention to the sizes of the bearings during the build. There are a few that are close to the same size. Also lock the diffs when its new to avoid any lube that would be on the gears. Clean them w/ alcohol before locking them w/ JB Weld.....There is ALOT of info about the TXT on this website, look around, pretty much everything you could ask has been posted already. Good luck .
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #4

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ0110**

Is that a good deal to get that combo?

I'm going to start searching on the "top-heavy" issue and about how to lock the diffs...

Once again I appreciate all the help, want to make sure I am making a good investment.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I would rather Buy the truck kit alone, then go to the crawler store and purchase the TQ3 modded radio, and look for some higher quality servos instead of buying that combo cause the radio system ain't that great. I'd rather spend alittle more now, then having to spend double later. That's just my opinion.
Kev808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:01 PM   #6

Yea the Modified TQ3 is very good idea I bought a Futaba 2PL and for the same money I could have had a 3 channel TQ3. I thought that 4 wheel steering would be ok fulltime.. and I was wrong. Sometimes it helps to talk to other noobs like me so you wont waste money like I did.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #7
Nope..

I think the TXT was one of the easiest to build/rebuild trucks I've had. It isn't real complex in design and pretty straight forward. If you have any trouble, there are a lot of guys on here with them that can help.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:26 PM   #8

Hopefully soon I will order a TXT and then order the radio, servo, battery, charger separate. Thanks for all the help! Are there any mods I should do while first building my TXT crawler besides locking the diffs?
Old 09-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

1- Stretching the wheelbase> switch the upper and lower links(uppers goes on the bottom & lowers goes on the top)
2- Chop the lower part of the chassis(to get more ground clearance)
3- Switch shock positions(from canti's to conventional set-up)
Kev808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

do you have a lot of money?
TLT`s are cheaper
The Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:51 AM   #11

The Muscle might be on a good thing. I am in australia and I spent $650AU then had to get a radio, servos, batteries. Then I started replacing stuff, wheels tyres, shock setup, chasis, speed controller, driveshafts and soon motors.
Thats a lot of bits sitting round doing nothing. I love my truck and it was fun but it would have been good just to buy the parts and build from scratch, I do not like waste.
Have fun
Nigel
aussie_N_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #12

I went to my local hobby shop yesterday after work and looked at a TXT one of the employees brought it. It is already built and setup with 4 wheel steering, lower gear (15 tooth to 13 tooth) he said I would probably want to swap to 9 tooth sooner or later. I believe he installed different motors that have more torque and some other do-dads. He said he would sell it for $400 because he doesn't touch it any more. Probably going to go after work today and pick it up and then start the modding!

Question - Is it safe to run through water and mud?

Last edited by Kevo1028; 09-07-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

if you water proof the esc yeah if not dont go deep in the mud wheel deep would be the limit
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:14 AM   #14
RCC Addict

The TxT is a good truck, take a look at this

Cheers 8-)
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote