Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help Adding a Servo to....an Xbox?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #1

Default Help Adding a Servo to....an Xbox?

I actually have no experience with RC cars or planes or anything, but I am working on an xbox mod in which I would like to use a servo and a toggle switch to open and close a flap. I would like the flap to open to about 90 degrees or slightly less. I would of course like to do this hardwired directly to the toggle if possible and not using any sort of radio frequencies or anything like that to transmit the signal. Could anybody possibly fill me in as to how I might accomplish this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated Also, I might mention, I am somewhat pressed for space, so the smaller the better. The flap I would need to open and close would be about 4 to 6 inches by 1 to 2 inches, and not extremely heavy. I can power it iwth the PSU which has 5v, 3.3v, and 12v rails. Thanks in advance!!!
timdog82001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2006, 01:12 AM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

at radio shack they sell a simple programing kit that includes a servo http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family
something like this may be up you alley
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog82001
I actually have no experience with RC cars or planes or anything, but I am working on an xbox mod in which I would like to use a servo and a toggle switch to open and close a flap. I would like the flap to open to about 90 degrees or slightly less. I would of course like to do this hardwired directly to the toggle if possible and not using any sort of radio frequencies or anything like that to transmit the signal. Could anybody possibly fill me in as to how I might accomplish this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated Also, I might mention, I am somewhat pressed for space, so the smaller the better. The flap I would need to open and close would be about 4 to 6 inches by 1 to 2 inches, and not extremely heavy. I can power it iwth the PSU which has 5v, 3.3v, and 12v rails. Thanks in advance!!!
Wrong website bud
Stallion1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Ok, I guess I'll ask. Why the hell do you want to do that? Too lazy to get up to hit the open button?
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjman
Ok, I guess I'll ask. Why the hell do you want to do that? Too lazy to get up to hit the open button?
same thing imm thinkin
JRmudmanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjman
Haha, it's complicated. It has nothing to with laziness, it's more for...coolness, hilariousness, i dunno. I actually put my modded to hell xbox inside my pc case with my pc still in it, and I realized I was going to have to put a bunch of toggle switches and dials and stuff up top for adjusting things and switching between things and stuff, it was going to look like a friggin cockpit or something, so i thought it would be pretty funny to embrace it and really make the case look like a mini airplane with low temp car gauges showing the CPU temps of the xbox and the PC, joystick and throttle that attach onto the front of the case, I'm even putting small wings on the side with engines, which are really just going to be fans that suck all the hot air thats going to be produced by the xbox being added to the case. I think it's pretty hilarious cause its so stupid and ridiculous. It even has a big red mushroom button that says EJECT on it like they would have for an emergency eject seat but in this case it ejects the dvd tray hahahah. The thing i'd be using the servo for is I wanted to add flaps to the wings and I could flip a toggle and they'd open up just like on a real plane and underneath would be the xbox controller/usb ports. You guys probably think I'm the biggest dork in the world for doing this, but I swear I have a life, I just get a kick out of this. By the way, the reason I asked in this forum is because this is a RC forum is it not? And rc cars and planes and so forth deal with servos, something which people on all other forums seem to know absolutely nothing about. Anyway, thanks for all the advice so far. I was hoping it wouldn't cost quite that much, but I'm definitely going to look into it, I'd be kinda interested in learning about that stuff anyway, so maybe it would be worth it.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #7
06 Super National Champ

A PC operated servo controller is what I'd use in something like that.

http://www.rentron.com/servo.htm

http://www.rentron.com/SerialServo.htm
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 01:00 AM   #8

that would certainly be a lot easier and probably cheaper, but it doesn't work with what I'm going for. If I had to open and close it with the PC, that would mean the PC would have be turned on whenever the xbox is on, and I'd rather just make it something I opened manually with my hands than do that. Thanks for the links though, I appreciate your input. Somebody else suggested to me to get a couple of small motors and some logic chips and some kind of switch, but I tried reading up on that, and was even more confused than I was about trying to program for servos.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:08 AM   #9
RCC Addict

You could try using a micro servo, gearing it down and removing the limiters.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote