Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New guy from ATX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #1

Default New guy from ATX

Hey fellas, Im new around here. Have been racing offroad for almost a year now, started in 2wd Stadium trucks, Then on to 2wd SC Buggy, 4x4 SC truck, and then on to 1/8 Ebuggy. I recently did some trading, picked up an Exceed 1/10 MaxStone. Not the ideal crawler, I get, but fun none the less.

With several creeks, rivers, and lakes near by- I have tons of places to explore. The wife, who has no interest in the r/c hobby even gets a kick out of it. Would like to take the go pros out and make some vids/pics.

I see there is lots of good info here, I look forward to working thru it, and learning/building some new things. Awesome site here guys!
waffleNchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #2

Default Re: New guy from ATX

Ok, so first impression of the max was just ok. It didn't seem to go over things I thought it should, had horrible steering, and the Torque Twist was just stupid.

I've had the truck a little over a week now, and done a few things to it.... first thing was to lower the body, it just looked silly in stock form. So I trimmed it, and lowered it. Had to go back and trim some more to keep body out of tires under flew or TT. That def made it look better!

Next the stock servo had to go. It is complete rubbish. I tossed a hobby king 12598 in it. I also ditched the factory servo saver. Man, what a difference! With my new found steering abilities, it was time to look into the lack of steering throw. Some trimming of the bump stops on the hub made this much better. I'm tempted to grind some of the screw down too, to gain a little more.

Truck was getting better....but still had terrible twist. To the point it was hurting me the majority of the time. First things first, I busted shocks down and upped the fluid viscosity. While I was there I added some traxxas rustler from springs to the front, with trx spring cups, and collar. From there I added a few spacers, to increase tension.... TT was getting better! I did all thix while waiting on a new bottom plate that would allow me to move bottom links inside. I ordered one for an ax10, from what I've read the trucks are pretty similar. It bolted in fine, for the most part. Only two on the trans mount holes lined up. I will either toss an axial trans in, or just drill new holes. 2 screws are working fine for now..... this, combined with the new shock set up - HUGE DIFFERENCE! Almost no twist now....wheels like a different machine!

At some point I also removed the stock foams....per something I read somewhere. This helped too, by allowing the tire to flex a lot more. The tires are still very stiff tho. To combat that, and the crappy design, I decided to remove some of the lugs.

This truck went from fun, to full on addicting! With those few things, it does more than I ever anticipated it would. I can't wait to get my hands on a real comp crawler!
Old 11-28-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

Got the day off work, wife is going shopping.....im going wheel'ing! Should be a great day.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

welcome to the slow side waffle. i think you'll find it even more addicting than racing.
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #5

What's up old friend.....lol, I don't know about more addicting than racing..... I love my xray ebug. But, I will spend more time crawling vs racing, for sure.

I'm already looking for a better machine.... Drove a losi might crawler yesterday, its better than my exceed junk!
Old 12-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #6

Update....

I picked up a set of panther cougar tires off the bay, with a set of dual stage foams... While I was at it, I also trimmed off skid "plate" mounts.... I can now crawl over things I couldn't before.... With steez!

It's getting better every day.

New guy from ATX - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone make custom wheels? I'm looking for ATX Slabs LetsGoMuddin General Scale Talk 3 10-14-2013 06:30 AM
New guy guy here need helping choosing crawler Qcustomz Newbie General 10 09-23-2012 10:27 AM
r/c guy not computer guy. roscoeisthecool Comments, Suggestions, and Help 72 03-14-2010 01:09 PM
new guy here dieselfreak01 Newbie General 2 08-06-2009 08:34 PM