Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Clod Axles Vs. Driveshaft Axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Clod Axles Vs. Driveshaft Axles

What are the different advantages between the two?
pureadrenalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Axles w/ driveshafts-more of a scale look
Clod axles-Lower CG which=better sidehilling capabilities and such.
trickedoutTLT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It cant be just all of that. There must be more to it.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Shafted trucks have to have a drive shaft to turn them. So you have to have a Tranny located between the two axles to power them both. Alot of times this can raise your COG. But set up right with a Good Suspension set up. You'll be fine. Clod axles have the gears and motor on each axle. There for you don't need a tranny or drive shafts. Which can save weight and clearance. Clod axles are wider and sometimes hard to keep them narrow for the 2.2 class. But for the Super and unlimited class they rule hands down. Now for the 2.2 class we are starting to see more clods popping out. Clods axles are bigger and don't have as much GC. You can get CVD for clods. You can't with the TLT yet. There's ton more. This question is kind of loaded. You need to do more researching. The pros and cons for both kind of equal out at the end.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:27 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

With Clod axles the motors are mounted directly to the axles so you dont need a center tranny or driveshafts...which means you can have more ground clearance (Belly) and a lot more room in the chassis to mount your battery/ electronics etc..........A clod setup will be less expensive to build, lighter, and theres tons of hop-ups available..Its your choice in the end but a Clod definately has its advantages..
RCWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWizard
A clod setup will be less expensive to build, lighter, and theres tons of hop-ups available..Its

Now thats not total true. They run about the same. It all depends on your elect. choices and other stuff you choose to use. I have one TLT that cost more then my 2.2 Clod, but then I have a Super Clod that is costing more then both my 2.2 TLT and my 2.2 Clod put together. Ya you can build a Clod pretty cheap. Don't do 4WS run a Moped ESC, Tower Pro Servo and a 2.2 Pimp Cane and some 2.2 Tires. That is easly under 350 bucks. The things is thou you have to buy two motors, two gears and so one. On a Shafty you only need one motor. It all evens out at the end. They are both fun to drive and really it's all in the driver anyway.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #7

keep in mind the shaft drive having the motors farther away from the wheels ( incase of mudding or water spray, healthier for your motor life).
jrizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Don't forget that you get clodstall with a Clod. where it looks like one axle quits pulling and the other keeps going. With a shafty you get torque flex. Where the torque of a driveshaft actually picks one corner of the axle up, loosing the traction of that wheel. Like R2J said, Both have pros and cons. There are countless ways to build either.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Anothing thing to note is cost. You can typically build up a nice TLT-based crawler for cheap -- not only because the axles are cheaper, but also since the electronics will be less demanding. Ideally, you'll want to run your motors in parallel on a Clod which means you'll need a better ESC (most of the time). Drop a lathe motor in a TLT and you'll be able to run almost any ESC and have many more battery options too.

- Chris
Gimpy00Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I am thinking both has there advantages/ disadvatages. I feel whatever project u choose you always want to try something different. Then it leads to that project going over the budget again and in the end you always pay for more performance.