Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: losi night crawler steering servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #1

Default losi night crawler steering servo

Hi guys I couldn't find a direct answer any where but what recommendatoins do you have for a steering servo. It's my first crawler. Thanks
jespi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Depends on how much you have to spend. Whats you price range ?

From what I have read, you have a good rig, once you get a good servo you will be very pleased with it.
NooB84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

There are plenty that will fit what you need... I would say ANY that have more than 175oz/in @ 6v should do what you want it to...
Orgnoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #4

Talking

Would they just bolt on or do I have to modifie it. I'm looking to spend about 60 if possible or maybe not. Thanks for the support
jespi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Anything under 200 oz. will leave you begging for more.

Little above 200 oz.,will work decent.

If you want something that will work really well,shoot for 300 oz. or more.

I've been running a couple of the Hitec HS-7955TG on both our Bergs for a long time. Worked really well. I've moved my 7955 to my rock racer and replaced it with a JR9100. There's some that are more powerful,but these seem to work very well for me.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Heard alot of good reviews about the 7955 as Reflection mentioned. Gonna save up and get it for my LNC. Everything I've read said to not cheap out on the servo.
untchabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by untchabl View Post
Heard alot of good reviews about the 7955 as Reflection mentioned. Gonna save up and get it for my LNC. Everything I've read said to not cheap out on the servo.
A good way to look at it.... In crawling,it's all about tire placement and control. If you can't steer your truck,your screwed. Your correct. A steering servo needs to be up to the task.

I ran smaller 200 oz. Servo's for a long time cause they were cheap. Once I finally stepped up....allot of lines became rediculously easy cause I could now turn my tires.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i am running a 7950th on 7.4 486oz on my lcc and love it it has 400+ on 6 volts
joe daigle jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #9

i run the hobbico cs-170 on my night crawler and love it
chatt town peyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
A good way to look at it.... In crawling,it's all about tire placement and control. If you can't steer your truck,your screwed. Your correct. A steering servo needs to be up to the task.

I ran smaller 200 oz. Servo's for a long time cause they were cheap. Once I finally stepped up....allot of lines became rediculously easy cause I could now turn my tires.
I agree with Steve, spend the money and get a good servo, If you don't you'll wished you had
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

The steering servo upgrade was my first item to get for my LNC. I got the HiTec 7955TG and it has been the best investment I have made for my crawler even before I upgraded the ESC and motor. Like mentioned don't cheap out here. No mods to the servo needed just install the servo arm included with the servo wire up and crawl. You might want to wire in a BEC also for your new steering servo.
team sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I know you are trying to stick with your budge of around 60 bucks but my suggestion to you would be to save up and buy the hi tec 7950 or even buy a used one. Many users on here are using this servo, search around and you will see.

I bought the rc4wd mayhem servo for my LNC (220 OZ @ 6 V) for 30 dollars thinking it would be enough power, well comparing it to the stock like 80-90 oz makes it sound like a beast but I can assure you it will leave you wanting more power. I went to my first comp and realized that I was WAY underpowered, not being able to place my tires where I need them to go really screwed me as I would have to either try to move in reverse or forward just to get the tires directd to where I needed it to go. You also want to look at the speed of servos cause being able to wiggle your crawler around can make a difference also

Take a look at the 2nd video from the top on the link below (shouldnt need to be a member to view), around the 1 minute mark of the video you can see how a strong servo can benefit you while crawling

http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/sho...158#post802158
BFGcrawler418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #13

Default Re: losi night crawler steering servo

I know this is an old thread, but I'm running an Airtronics 94358 on my LNC and it runs great. The stock servo is a joke, but runs well on my Losi MRC.
remington109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Question Re: losi night crawler steering servo

Newbie here also. Just got a LNC also. First crawler. Actually, first serious RC :-). Anyway, I wasn't planning on upgrading anything, but after only an hour, it's clear the steering servo is underpowered. I'm hesitant to upgrade because of what other upgrades that might trigger. So my question is, are the stock steering links going to hold up against a HiTec 7955TG? What else will I have to upgrade so I can get wheels that turn without breaking something? I.e., when will the madness end?! thanks.

*edit* what about electronics? Does this servo draw more current than the stock ESC can handle??

Last edited by karajabola; 12-25-2013 at 04:24 PM.
karajabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajabola View Post
Newbie here also. Just got a LNC also. First crawler. Actually, first serious RC :-). Anyway, I wasn't planning on upgrading anything, but after only an hour, it's clear the steering servo is underpowered. I'm hesitant to upgrade because of what other upgrades that might trigger. So my question is, are the stock steering links going to hold up against a HiTec 7955TG? What else will I have to upgrade so I can get wheels that turn without breaking something? I.e., when will the madness end?! thanks.

*edit* what about electronics? Does this servo draw more current than the stock ESC can handle??
If you're going to have fun, a 7955 is fine and may be better with a Castle 10A BEC.
If you may comp, I suggest a HiTec 7950 with a Castle 10A BEC.

So, servo, BEC & a Castle link to program the BEC (can also program Castle ESC's and rebadged ESC's that use Castl programming).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by karajabola View Post

I was wondering the same question, Im buying a 7955 Hitec, Will the stock plastic links afford that 333 oz of Power? Any experience in that? Adn where can i buy some metal links for my night crawler??
fadi.join is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:01 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Stronger servos use more current. Therefore some re-wiring to feed the new servo directly from the battery or by a separate BEC is highly recommended.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote