Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial AX-10 or Losi Nightcrawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Default Axial AX-10 or Losi Nightcrawler?

I was thinking of going scale and getting an SCX-10, but now am set on comp crawlers. I'm thinking of getting the AX-10 Scorpion, either ARTR or RTC, but my Dad just bought a Losi Nightcrawler RTR, and I really like it. I haven't actually handled or drove an AX-10 yet, so I was wondering, which one of these would you folks choose? What do you think of the worm gear axles to control brake holding on the Losi, vs. the ESC with the drag brake on the Axial? I like the style and design of both, but the biggest and most important thing to me is aftermarket support and upgradeable parts, which brand has a better aftermarket? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by LowLock; 04-25-2011 at 10:25 PM.
LowLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #2

If ur gonna compete u might wanta look at the axial xr10.It's MOA and to compete seriously ur gonna need a MOA.Me myself I like the shafty more.I have a ax10 and love it.I bought it as a RTC and have had it for about 15 months and have done alot of mods.It's all about what u prefer.Both rigs r highly customizable.Do ur homework and get what's best for u.Goodluck and any rig u get is gonna be awesome as long as u like it....Keep crawlin
coltscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #3

I'd start with scx-10 and learn with that. You will quickly outgrow a nightcrawler but the scx you may keep for a long time even once graduating to a MOA or whatnot.
Liquidlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The LNC is a better crawler box stock than an AX10. However, if you want to comp MOA is the way to go. I say this because MOA is the dominant crawler platform and most clubs design their courses for MOA making it tough for all but the best shafty drivers to get through. However the LNC could be used in the sportsman and pro comp classes although I would get the LCC and your own electronics since it has dig, which you will deifintely want in any comp class.

The SCX10 is a great truck and my favorite, it competes well in the scale classes but is not a choice for comps.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
RCC Addict

AX10 is the tmaxx of crawling.. Everybody makes something for it.

Losi had a great program when I first bought mine but the horsepower needed to keep up with the jones's shredded the worm gears if you weren't careful and support is kinda iffy at this point.

My vote is axial.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #6

Appreciate the input guys. I'm not looking to comp, so I'm not interested in a MOA. LOL, I think there's a bit of confusion on my model choices. I WAS going to get an SCX, but switched to the AX-10 style instead. The thing I like about the Losi best is the worm gear setup, it just plain won't roll on an incline. From what I understand about the drag brake on the Axial, there's a possibility for it to roll. Made it down to the local shop today to pick their brains, and there's some aftermarket for the Losi, but not near as much as the Axial. For some reason, the Losi just seems like more beef overall than the Axial, or is that just me?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

like said before out of the box the losi will perform better both are good trucks though. AX10 has tons of after market losi has some but doesnt need as much. Id look for a second hand built truck if you can.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #8

i my self would go with the axial...they have a big aftermarket...there are so many things that you can do to them...and right out of the box they are a great crawler and a great buy
slimm87654321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
RCC Addict

The worm gears won't roll, you're correct. However a good ESC with a good drag brake will hold just as well as worms. Look into the holmes hobbies BRXL for ESC's.

The LNC will be better going a comp route, but for having fun and versatility of the platform the AX10 is better. If you are just bashing go with the AX10. The axles on the AX are much more forgiving than the losi axles.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #10

Again, I appreciate all the input, but I'm thinking I'm going to go with the LNC. I was at my local shop cash in hand for the Axial, but they didn't have one in stock. Now I take that as a sign, because as a result of that, I've gotten a ton more info on the LNC. It's really what I want, dang good performance for general backyard crawling right out of the box. I don't really want to spend time chasing the Axial's setup issues. I'm not looking to comp at this point, if I do decide to, I'll get/build a comp rig. From what I've gathered, the issues most have experienced with the Losi have come from the LCC. As I understand, these issues have been mostly resolved with the development of the LNC?

Multiple people have brought up a good point. The Axial has so many aftermarket parts, because it needs them to REDUCE the torque twist issues. I've been told that torque twist on an Axial shafty is never really eliminated, but reduced. Those issues don't seem to affect the Losi, or at least not as much, due to it's better stock 4 link setup. Is this correct?
Old 05-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
Defy Gravity

i started out in the same boat, i went with the lnc, its a great little truck out of the box. major things with it are relocating the electronics, mainly the battery, and then ditching the stock foams, they're hard as a rock. the worm gear maintenance is more involved that the axial would be, you have to use good grease, and then clean out the old reasonably often. i never go more than a month without cleaning the old out of my axle cases. the lnc axles come with v3 axle shafts (good thing) and the trans is a tank, no issues in the year and a half i used it. the lower links will start to flex over time, but easy replacement options. all lcc parts will bolt on to the lnc, so parts availability is good there. i recently put the lcc trans in and enjoy it greatly. the biggest thing with the losi's is doing your maintenance, it gets to the point that you can tear down axles in your sleep, but i like a truck that i need to work on often, so thats a plus to me. the stock electronics are typical rtr stuff, you won't have much left of those after long. the biggest of that being the steering servo and the motor. the esc is decent for an rtr. the radio is ok, feels cheap in your hand, but the receiver is spektrum, so ok there, may think about the bnd and a dx3e or dx3c when it comes out. that will be more money upfront, but you'll have a far better, more capable radio.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #12

Wow, great info ghtpdm5! That's the kind of LNC input I've been lacking.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

when i first started building crawlers beack in the day, I had a lot of time in my tlt/gopher truck. The truck worked good, I thought it did. I was able to do same lines etc. as my buddies axial. I took a break and went 1/8 racing. Ig ot back into crawlers with a LNC (local shop hooked me up). The truck stock was better than my gopher by far. But right now, i dont comp and wating a scaler. So im stuck... The LNC is a great rig. With a better servo and BEC, its even better.
norcallump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Defy Gravity

lowlock, stop on by the losi section, there's quite a few lnc builds and you could get ideas on what people are replacing. just keep in mind that if you're not one that likes doing the maintenance, the losi trucks are not for you.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #15

I have a night crawler and love the worm gear drive.
moore4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Go with the LCC 6 months down the road you will wish you had. I am speaking from experience. While the LNC is great out of box rig If you stick with this hobby you will up grade everything on it. LCC will save you money in the long run.
mikey4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #17

Thanks for all the input guys, I picked up a LNC Saturday afternoon. From all the people I've talked to, and the guys at the local shop, it fits the bill of what I'm looking for in a crawler pretty good.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
Defy Gravity

welcome to the losi! post yourself up a build thread if ya want, we'll try to help ya with any questions you have.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #19

I only had it for 5 hours, and I cut the snot out of the front foams. When I get a little more time this week, I'm going to post some pics of them to see what people think of the way I cut them.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #20

You should ditch those stock foams and get some memory foam, that should work better until you decide to get new tires.... just my 2 cents
EightFootJezuz is offline   Reply With Quote