Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help with micro Lipo connectors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #1

Default Help with micro Lipo connectors

I'm trying to figure out the difference between some of the connector options for small Lipo batteries. I've just ordered a Losi Trail Trekker, and the first thing I want to do is start running Lipo.

Take for example these two options:

Turnigy nano-tech 260mah 2S 35~70C Lipo Pack

Turnigy nano-tech 260mah 2S 35~70C Lipo Pack (E-flite Compatible EFLB2002S25)

The first one has separate cables for charge/discharge and balance. The second one only has a single cable. But then, it looks like you can get a balance cable for charging multiple packs at once.

A few questions:
  1. Any reason why I'd choose one connector type over another? I'm fine changing out the connector on my ESC to accommodate whichever option I choose.
  2. When charging the E-flite style packs, can you see the voltage level of each cell for balancing purposes?
  3. When using a parallel cable (with either style), do you get insight into the voltage of each cell, or do you only get them when charging a single pack?

I feel like I need to choose a "standard" right now, and I'm not sure which one to go for. Many thanks for any insights you can offer.
SeeAhr8ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help with micro Lipo connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeAhr8ch View Post
I'm trying to figure out the difference between some of the connector options for small Lipo batteries. I've just ordered a Losi Trail Trekker, and the first thing I want to do is start running Lipo.

Take for example these two options:

Turnigy nano-tech 260mah 2S 35~70C Lipo Pack

Turnigy nano-tech 260mah 2S 35~70C Lipo Pack (E-flite Compatible EFLB2002S25)

The first one has separate cables for charge/discharge and balance. The second one only has a single cable. But then, it looks like you can get a balance cable for charging multiple packs at once.

A few questions:
  1. Any reason why I'd choose one connector type over another? I'm fine changing out the connector on my ESC to accommodate whichever option I choose.
  2. When charging the E-flite style packs, can you see the voltage level of each cell for balancing purposes?
  3. When using a parallel cable (with either style), do you get insight into the voltage of each cell, or do you only get them when charging a single pack?

I feel like I need to choose a "standard" right now, and I'm not sure which one to go for. Many thanks for any insights you can offer.
The easiest approach is to use a 3 connector JST-PH connector which is really common on the small lipos. That way you only need to change the connector on the ESC or get a Losi Mico T to JST-PH cable.

To see the voltage on each cell you would have to charge 1 battery at a time. The balance cable puts the other cells in parallel.

I have had really good luck with the Glacier Lipos from Buddy RC

Glacier 20C 210mAh 2S 7.4V LiPo Battery
Parallel Charge Cable - PH3 for UMX 130X
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote

Help with micro Lipo connectors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding new connectors to charged Lipo? STS45 Newbie General 10 07-16-2012 01:27 PM
Cannot solder Lipo connectors, special procedure? braq Electronics 6 04-28-2012 03:48 PM